Sony WF-1000X discussion thread: Truly wireless IEM with Active Noise Cancelling!
Oct 23, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #151 of 502
Try to delete the pairing and repair. This works with my E8
That was the second thing I tried. No dice.

The odd thing is that after two days of frustration and annoyance, I tried them again today, and they were fine for the half an hour I used them.

But if they have an unpredictable and extended failure mode that survives factory reset, repairing, etc., and recovers unpredictably, that's still not acceptable.

Oct 23, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #152 of 502
I agree, any drop outs is not acceptable, anything that exhibits this goes back! That's why I'm having a hard returning the jams ultra I'm testing, the sound is not the best its very, very bassy, but the bluetooth connection is the absolute best i have ever tried. I have not one drop out.

Oct 27, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #153 of 502
I bought these in The Netherlands early september so i guess this was part of the first batch. I'm very happy with how they sound however I can't say that the volume is what I expected. I always have to listen with volume on max with my iphone, I read in this thread that for other people max volume is way too loud. Now I know that this can be personal preference off course, but I also let some friends listen and they al said the same.

Today I read this article:
https://www.inquisitr.com/opinion/4580624/sony-wf1000x-wireless-earbuds-conquer-apples-airpods/

Here they suggest that they have updated the headphones in a later batch, do you think it is possible since I have them early on that volume problem is fixed in a later batch?

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #154 of 502
I bought these in The Netherlands early september so i guess this was part of the first batch. I'm very happy with how they sound however I can't say that the volume is what I expected. I always have to listen with volume on max with my iphone, I read in this thread that for other people max volume is way too loud. Now I know that this can be personal preference off course, but I also let some friends listen and they al said the same.

Today I read this article:
https://www.inquisitr.com/opinion/4580624/sony-wf1000x-wireless-earbuds-conquer-apples-airpods/

Here they suggest that they have updated the headphones in a later batch, do you think it is possible since I have them early on that volume problem is fixed in a later batch?
Have you tried setting the volume to max in the Sony Music Center app, then adjusting with the phone volume? When I got my buds, I tried them without the Music Center app (on Android) and got just listenable volume on the max phone volume. When I ran the Music Center app, it showed its volume at 50%, and increasing it with the app volume control gave higher volume than the phone BT volume alone. It's a clumsy arrangement, but now I set the Music Center app volume to max and use the phone volume controls to adjust the listening levels as required.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #155 of 502
Have you tried setting the volume to max in the Sony Music Center app, then adjusting with the phone volume? When I got my buds, I tried them without the Music Center app (on Android) and got just listenable volume on the max phone volume. When I ran the Music Center app, it showed its volume at 50%, and increasing it with the app volume control gave higher volume than the phone BT volume alone. It's a clumsy arrangement, but now I set the Music Center app volume to max and use the phone volume controls to adjust the listening levels as required.

Yeah I also read that, but I think that is something that has to do with Android because on IOS the volume in Music Center App is connected to the Phone Volume so if you adjust it they both react and they are both on max volume

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #156 of 502
I posted above regarding this. On my iPhone 7 Plus, it gets plenty loud around 1/3 of the volume bar. I cannot imagine going over even 1/2 of the maximum.

I have had an interesting experience with these buds. When I paired them with my Samsung Galaxy S8+, I found the sound to be great but far to weak (too low volume), even on the highest volume setting (the one you get after you click OK on the "loud sound can cause serious....." message). I tried everything, inclusive of the Sony music app, but nothing made it louder. I did see some comments on line about it, with some specific to the Galaxy S8. I then paired the buds with my Windows 2in1 (Microsoft Surface Pro 3) to experience the exact same problem; even on the highest volume setting the sound level was merely OK in a silent environment. I got ready to return them because this was not OK.
When I got home I started to prepare for the return of the buds and decided to try them on my trusty old Nokia Lumia 1520 (Windows 10 Mobile phone). I paired the buds, fired up the music app, and got sound. Pumped up the volumen and ....... LOUD!!! With this device all of a sudden the low volume problem was gone. it was clear to me that it was not a problem with the hardware or a weird type of limitation, but a challenge in combination with some specific devices. To me that did come across as weird, because I believe Bluetooth is Bluetooth.... I was going to return them anyhow, because the Nokia device I just have for nostalgic reasons (the windows mobile OS is sooooo much better), but I use the Samsung and the Surface as my daily drivers.
I then did a final test on my Galaxy S8+ and then it DID sound LOUD as well on that one. Tried the Surface and YEP, LOUD as well, I can even pump up the volume to an uncomfortable level.
It almost feels like the connection to the Nokia phone helped to blow out some kind of cotton bud that had been clogging the sound tubes of the buds so that now the full loud sound could come through. I of course know that this is bullocks, but I cannot come up with a reasonable explanation for this either.

I have now decided to keep them because of the great sound quality. The battery life is a joke, but as I use them mainly on 2 hour flights, that is not a big problem at the moment.

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #157 of 502
I just ordered these from best buy they were sold out of them. When you battery sucks do they last the 3 hours sony claims or is it less?

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #158 of 502
I just got a pair, listened for about an hour and talked on the phone with them for about 30 minutes. Sound quality is nice, sounds a lot like the MDR-1000X in bluetooth mode. Makes Tidal Hifi sound just like Apple Music! But the technology is awesome and the noise cancelling is pretty darn good.

For call quality: I was in a quiet environment, but the person on the other line heard me fine. This was never the case with the MDR-1000x, I had to bring earbuds around with me incase I got a phone call.

I've had quite a few right earbud dropouts. They've been short. But whatever, so far its not too bad. The tech is so cool I just had to get some.

My usual earbud-subway rig is a pair of 1more quad drivers with a Dragonfly Red Dac. These don't sound anywhere near that combo of course, but sometimes noise cancelling reveals more about the music than hi fidelity (not always, but sometimes).

I'm using an iPhone 6 and the max level is are you deaf!! Im well below 1/2 way.

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #160 of 502
It almost feels like the connection to the Nokia phone helped to blow out some kind of cotton bud that had been clogging the sound tubes of the buds so that now the full loud sound could come through. I of course know that this is bullocks, but I cannot come up with a reasonable explanation for this either.
I believe what happens is the following:
The earphones have their own volume setting. Some devices, like iPhones, Macs, and SOME Android phones control that internal volume setting. Other devices do not, but control how loud the volume sent through is. i.e. to reduce the volume, they reduce the volume of the signal digitally (reducing dynamic range, as the full range isn't used anymore). Depending on what volume setting the WF-1000X are at, it may be loud when connected to a device that can't set those settings, or it may be soft. Even at "max volume". I believe if you connect it to your Windows Phone, and set the volume to half volume there, then connect it back to your Android, you won't be able to use the full volume.

Thankfully the Music Center app does indeed allow setting the volume of the amplifiers in the earphones, but it's a bit hard to reach at times. You need to connect the app to the earphones (a mere bog standard BT connection through Android may not be enough). Then ideally at the bottom of the screen you'll see "Bluetooth Audio" and a volume bar. Tap anywhere down there and you'll be greeted by a big volume bar. It may also show playback controls though. If it does that, you need to get rid of it, for example by selecting Spotify and then hitting back. Then the volume bar should appear for you to tap on.

It's rather idiotic, but oh well.

I once had the issue that a very loud, aggressive noise came at full volume through the right channel. I had to pull out the plug immediately. After a restart it was gone, but it wasn't pleasant.

Sony has sent me a new set, as soon as I get to pick them up I'll see if the bugs are related to the production batch or not.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #161 of 502
Just received mine. They're pretty good but comes with some interaction quirks that are very... Sony.

1. Volume is good but will be limited to half if one switches bluetooth device without turning it off.
2. Right ear turns itself off when reconnecting, need to be turned on separately.

Feels like the firmware and the companion App are not finished. Hopefully they solve the quirks in future updates.

Connection quality is pretty good with my iPhone SE (which has an insane Bluetooth signal strength... I can answer calls on my Apple Watch 10m+ away)

Sound quality is surprisingly good. I had very little expectation going into this given the 6mm diaphragm, but I was wrong. Good resolution and punch. No bass bloat or sibilance.

Noise-cancelling is ok. It's there. Not as good as the MDR-1000X

Battery is solid. The claimed quick charge "15min charge for 70min use" works. Haven't tested how long it could last though.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #162 of 502
I believe what happens is the following:
The earphones have their own volume setting. Some devices, like iPhones, Macs, and SOME Android phones control that internal volume setting. Other devices do not, but control how loud the volume sent through is. i.e. to reduce the volume, they reduce the volume of the signal digitally (reducing dynamic range, as the full range isn't used anymore). Depending on what volume setting the WF-1000X are at, it may be loud when connected to a device that can't set those settings, or it may be soft. Even at "max volume". I believe if you connect it to your Windows Phone, and set the volume to half volume there, then connect it back to your Android, you won't be able to use the full volume.

Thankfully the Music Center app does indeed allow setting the volume of the amplifiers in the earphones, but it's a bit hard to reach at times. You need to connect the app to the earphones (a mere bog standard BT connection through Android may not be enough). Then ideally at the bottom of the screen you'll see "Bluetooth Audio" and a volume bar. Tap anywhere down there and you'll be greeted by a big volume bar. It may also show playback controls though. If it does that, you need to get rid of it, for example by selecting Spotify and then hitting back. Then the volume bar should appear for you to tap on.

It's rather idiotic, but oh well.

I once had the issue that a very loud, aggressive noise came at full volume through the right channel. I had to pull out the plug immediately. After a restart it was gone, but it wasn't pleasant.

Sony has sent me a new set, as soon as I get to pick them up I'll see if the bugs are related to the production batch or not.

I have tried and tried and tried, to find that for me it is the Headphones app that allows for the volume setting, not the Music Center one. There it is the bottom section that needs to be unfolded to view the volume bar. This bar works independent of the "normal" Android volume bar.

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #164 of 502
Hi folks,
bought my WF-1000X yesterday in Frankfurt/Germany. Sound was much too quiet and tinny somehow from my point of view. After charging and taking some other plugs the sound changed dramatically. They felt much louder and the sound was completely different, similar to my MDR 1000X.

Honestly I did not notice much difference between OFF/Ambient/ANC as for the amazing MDR 1000X but I was at home in a very quiet environment. Í will try them in the office tomorrow, they are soooo cute..

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #165 of 502
I have tried and tried and tried, to find that for me it is the Headphones app that allows for the volume setting, not the Music Center one. There it is the bottom section that needs to be unfolded to view the volume bar. This bar works independent of the "normal" Android volume bar.
Interesting. I have the volume setting there too, but it only displays the volume. I can't unfold it to adjust the actual volume. Go figure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back