Sony WF-1000X discussion thread: Truly wireless IEM with Active Noise Cancelling!
Oct 15, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #106 of 502
I got another problem with this earphones. Every time I start/stop music, there are click sound once or twice. This is either with Samsung s8 and my iPad. Anyone notice that, or it’s only in mine?
And the right ear did drop out several times today... I feel more like it’s an unfinished beta head phone. The sound quality however is quite good, much better than AirPods to my ears.

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #110 of 502
I've been using these for 4 days now, mostly on my Android phone (HTC U11) and find them very good - I've not had any drop-out problems, and the only minor inconvenience is the lag with certain video sources, and needing to use the Sony Music Center app to ensure full volume control. It's not too much of a problem since you can add whatever audio apps you want to the Music Center list and run them from there for full control (I hear an EQ and more features will be coming).

It's worth downloading and reading the user help guide from the Sony site, as it gives the correct order of operations for good connectivity.

I generally don't get on well with in-ear earphones, but these fit very easily and are comfortable and secure enough that I can exercise with them quite safely, and the sound quality (just the default SBC with Android 7.1) is surprisingly good. I've been told that even SBC has a range of bit rates negotiable between source and output, so I may be getting one of the higher rates... I'll have to investigate a bit more when I have time.

The next version of Android, Oreo, will come with a radically updated Bluetooth stack that allows selection of a range of BT codecs, including AAC, so the sound on Android may improve.

Oct 17, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #111 of 502
Sony Music Center doesn't fix my issues.

There's an update to the headphones app, which adds an EQ amongst other things. Unfortunately it only consists of presets (no adjustments!). It also displays the volume in very rough approximation. So when I couldn't use full volume (despite being fully turned up on my phone) it showed me that volume was only, like, at the midway point. When a colleague adjusted the volume to the full volume, and I then connected my phone to the headphones, it showed. Lowering the volume didn't have any effect on the graphics. Well, at least I can see if I'm not utilizing the headphones to their fullest...? I'm a bit underwhelmed by the update, and by the lack of response from Sony. Will have to ask my contact again tomorrow.

I wonder if it is even possible to do a firmware update on these.

I do like the sound quite a bit... it's pretty detailed and well balanced. I'm hearing details I haven't noticed before, even though my home stereo is pretty good (and costs like 10x as much). And I've absolutely fallen in love with Pulp's I Spy, which I always appreciated, but never as much as by listening to the WF-1000X. Some albums sound better on the WF-1000X, some better on my other headphones/speakers, but no album I've tried sounds bad on the WF-1000X.

I'm really curious to find out how the competitors sound... my hopes with B&O aren't too high, some of their headphones I'm really not a fan of (same goes for Sony, but Sony has a ton out there, and I like several of their headphones, past and present). Bose... could be good, I think the brand has improved a lot. Hopefully I'll get the chance. Sadly I couldn't try the Audeze iSine 10 with my headphone amp, that would have been really interesting (without they don't sound good).

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #112 of 502
Sony Music Center doesn't fix my issues.

There's an update to the headphones app, which adds an EQ amongst other things. Unfortunately it only consists of presets (no adjustments!). It also displays the volume in very rough approximation. So when I couldn't use full volume (despite being fully turned up on my phone) it showed me that volume was only, like, at the midway point. When a colleague adjusted the volume to the full volume, and I then connected my phone to the headphones, it showed. Lowering the volume didn't have any effect on the graphics. Well, at least I can see if I'm not utilizing the headphones to their fullest...? I'm a bit underwhelmed by the update, and by the lack of response from Sony. Will have to ask my contact again tomorrow.
The idea is that you set the phone's Bluetooth volume at maximum and use the Music Center volume control to adjust the volume to your taste - or alternatively (my preference), set the Music Center volume to maximum, then adjust the phone's Bluetooth volume to taste; it depends whether you want to use the phone volume buttons or the Music Center volume control for adjustments.

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #113 of 502
watching this thread closely...:L3000:

Oct 19, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #117 of 502
The idea is that you set the phone's Bluetooth volume at maximum and use the Music Center volume control to adjust the volume to your taste - or alternatively (my preference), set the Music Center volume to maximum, then adjust the phone's Bluetooth volume to taste; it depends whether you want to use the phone volume buttons or the Music Center volume control for adjustments.
But where? There's nothing in the app that even looks like volume controls? If I press the vol up button, I'm already maxed out. I can't find anything in the settings. Or elsewhere.

Ok, now I managed to reconnect it to the phone, and it recognizes the WF-1000X. It shows me WF-1000X version 1.0.3. For a moment I was able to see volume controls, I set it to full and started music playback. No difference. And now I can't find the volume controls again. It seems like while music is playing it hides the volume control button?

And finally (!) it has worked. It's rather... finicky. User unfriendly. But it least it works now... I need to start Google Play while playback, then go back, and then I have the button. Otherwise it's covered by the now playing bar.

@zaim: Did you try the Headphones app from Sony? It should let you chose...

Oct 19, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #119 of 502
Just picked these up but it seems to be stuck on SBC mode, anyone know how to force AAC?

Connected to my Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Same issue with the Note 8, nothing triggers AAC, everything in SBC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back