Sony WF-1000X discussion thread: Truly wireless IEM with Active Noise Cancelling!
Sep 26, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #46 of 502
Hi All,

Since it seems a point of interest to some, I've checked whether the lights blink when wearing them.
What I've found is that the blue lights will blink on both buds every 4 - 5 seconds after you've just put them in (when getting them from the case) for about 30 seconds. After that, they stop blinking.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Sep 26, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #47 of 502

Do you mind checking one more thing?

During a phone call, is there a lot of wind noise if you are outside? The QC35 and the MDR1000x both suffer from this issue (extremely difficult for the other person to hear you).

When on a call, does the sound come from both sides in stereo or is it just from the primary earbud?

Sep 26, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #48 of 502
Hi All,
Hope this helps. Cheers!
Can you help me with this question? I have tried almost every other true wireless earbuds except AirPods. One thing I noticed is that none of them has stable connection. They will cut in and out once in a while. For those who maintains the connection have short battery life like one and half hours. I think it is still a premature technology except AirPods. In your review you said that it disconnects. Can you let us know how often is it?

Sep 27, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #49 of 502
Concerning the wind noise during calls, there's some but it's not unbearable. Even my Airpods suffered from this, but it's perfectly fine. They do not do stereo over phone calls though, just the left earbud.

About the connection: I use them daily at work, and one earbud drops out for a second after just being connected to a device. It comes back instantly though, so I think it's part of the connection setup procedure.
When listenening, once every 2 days I notice a brief drop out of one of the buds. It will come back after 1 or 2 seconds though so it's really no big deal. I must note that I'm streaming with high quality AAC though, and set the app to 'Soundquality over connection stability'. Haven't tested on the connection first setting yet.

Cheers!

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #50 of 502
Hi all
I’ve had a pair of the WF-1000X for a couple of weeks. I must have got one of the pairs that Amazon UK received early. I am returning this pair for a replacement because audio in the right earbud drops out intermittently. It happens completely randomly, it seems, sometimes twice in quick succession. Yesterday, I had my worst experience so far when the sound dropped out in the right earbuds for about 8 seconds. When the sound came back it was with a weird, fluttering, oscillating effect. I switched them off, but when I turned them back on I could only get audio from the right earbud. I had to wait until I returned to my office so that I could place them back in the charging case to reset them. A really poor experience. Changing the codec from AAC to SBC has no effect. A factory reset did nothing.

If you Google some of the reviews, such as What Hi-fi, you’ll see that this issue has occurred with other users.

I am hoping that this early batch is faulty as there is so much to like about their performance. I’m going to give my replacement pair a chance, but if they exhibit the same problem I’ll get a refund.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #51 of 502
Concerning the wind noise during calls, there's some but it's not unbearable. Even my Airpods suffered from this, but it's perfectly fine. They do not do stereo over phone calls though, just the left earbud.

About the connection: I use them daily at work, and one earbud drops out for a second after just being connected to a device. It comes back instantly though, so I think it's part of the connection setup procedure.
When listenening, once every 2 days I notice a brief drop out of one of the buds. It will come back after 1 or 2 seconds though so it's really no big deal. I must note that I'm streaming with high quality AAC though, and set the app to 'Soundquality over connection stability'. Haven't tested on the connection first setting yet.

Cheers!
Thanks! This is a great help. I will place the order soon.

Oct 5, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #52 of 502
I received my replacement pair today. On my first outing with them the right earbud kept cutting out, and at one point had a terrible buzzing sound. They’re going back for a refund. I would not recommend these headphones. Hopefully Sony can sort out the problems in a subsequent version.

Oct 5, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #53 of 502
I received mine yesterday but it is WI1000X/B instead of WF-1000. It sounds great and very stable. The noise cancelling is not as good as my Bose QC20 but very close and no white noise. I have not found a true wireless that is 100% reliable yet except Apple's. I think we should wait till Sony solve the stability problem.

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #54 of 502
The WI1000X are totally different though. They're wired between the buds. The biggest problem most truly wireless earbuds have is the connection between the two sides (master and slave).

Oct 6, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #55 of 502
Another WF1000X user here reporting in! I have been using it for two days and here are my thoughts.

This is actually almost the perfect true wireless IEM for me so far. I've tried Airpods (decent sound, amazingly convenient, but doesn't fit my ear...), Sony XB80BS (Too much bass and causes pain on my outer ear, but good for working out), some cheap China brand true wireless IEM (horrible sound but otherwise quite convenient without dropout issue). It has a pretty nicely done boost in the bass region, and otherwise neutral-ish mid and treble. The bass isn't overwhelming at all which is nice. It has less resolution compared to my iBasso IT03, but that's probably not a very fair comparison. I mostly use this for podcasts/audiobooks when I am commuting, but wouldn't hesitate to listen to music on it if I feel like it. I am not very good in describing sound so I will leave this to the experts.

Fit is comfortable and it's very convenient to switch between my Macbook and iPhone as it automatically disconnects from one when you connect it from the other. I love the fact that it switches on automatically when you take it out of the case, similar to Airpods. Noise cancelling does not seem to be super effective compared to full-size NC headphones like the QC25 I tried very long time ago, but that could be due to my bad memory. It is good enough to cancel the annoying low frequency rumble in train/car and the rest is isolated just by the nature of it being an IEM. On my iPhone 7 plus I am usually at around 1/4 to 1/3 of the volumes. So it's loud enough to blow your ears if you need to.

The connection is pretty stable even when I use it both at an open air area (granted, not very crowded) and indoor. Occasionally there's some drop out but they never lasted for more than 1-2 seconds, and it's very very rare. Perhaps slightly worse than an Airpods but that's a very high bar. I personally have no issue with connectivity.

Now for the dealbreakers. Very short battery life, around 3 hours-ish which can be quite annoying if you need to use it during a bus journey, and practically useless for a flight. The charging case is rather huge compared to Airpods so it's not something you can throw into your pocket in a pinch. And there's a delay if you watches video on it, which may or may not be fine depending on your tolerance. This is actually documented on Sony websites which stated that this is due to the nature of true wireless IEM, but I had no such issue with Airpods when I used them. Lastly, if you use it with a Macbook, you will need to use Bluetooth Explorer (latest version 4.4) to enable AAC, as it streams via SBC by default.

While it has its flaws, I love the WF1000X!

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #56 of 502
where is everyone getting theirs? I've looked everywhere (in the US) and no one sells them yet...

Oct 7, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #58 of 502
The MDR-1000X had abysmal microphone/call quality. When receiving calls while wearing the headphones they usually couldn't hear me at all. I eventually started using it wired (with a mic) such that I could receive calls with it.

Anyone use them for talking in noisy environments without having to make excuses to the party on the other line? I like the sound of the MDR-1000X so much, but if the mic is as bad as the MDR-1000X I'll have to pass.

Oct 7, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #59 of 502
I have an early review unit. So far the call quality seems fine (in a quiet environment), I'll still have to try out what the other line would hear though.

Comfort is like with any other IEM IMHO, though these are very easy to insert and get a seal. I've had other IEMs where I had to pull on my ear, open my mouth and do certain breathing techniques to get the most out of them. These: Push in, done.

Now the volume is a different matter however: For my office they are great, at max volume they reach a comfortable listening volume, but it's definitely on the soft side of things. Basically when outside you'll probably have them at full volume, and with more audiophile recordings with great dynamic range it may not enough. That is with my Windows 10 tablet and my LG V20 Android smartphone. A colleague tried his iPhone SE, and at first the volume was low. But when he presses pause and then start again the volume goes up. Then it is more than enough, or perhaps even loud. Maybe there is a firmware bug with some units?

Can others who have theirs already make more precise reports on what they are using, and how loud it gets? Mine really don't get loud. It's the volume I'd usually listen to. Also, there's a number on the bottom of the charging case. Mine is below 100, maybe you can report on yours? Maybe the problematic units have lower numbers, i.e. are (presumably) early in the production run?

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #60 of 502
I have an early review unit. So far the call quality seems fine (in a quiet environment), I'll still have to try out what the other line would hear though.

Comfort is like with any other IEM IMHO, though these are very easy to insert and get a seal. I've had other IEMs where I had to pull on my ear, open my mouth and do certain breathing techniques to get the most out of them. These: Push in, done.

Now the volume is a different matter however: For my office they are great, at max volume they reach a comfortable listening volume, but it's definitely on the soft side of things. Basically when outside you'll probably have them at full volume, and with more audiophile recordings with great dynamic range it may not enough. That is with my Windows 10 tablet and my LG V20 Android smartphone. A colleague tried his iPhone SE, and at first the volume was low. But when he presses pause and then start again the volume goes up. Then it is more than enough, or perhaps even loud. Maybe there is a firmware bug with some units?

Can others who have theirs already make more precise reports on what they are using, and how loud it gets? Mine really don't get loud. It's the volume I'd usually listen to. Also, there's a number on the bottom of the charging case. Mine is below 100, maybe you can report on yours? Maybe the problematic units have lower numbers, i.e. are (presumably) early in the production run?

I posted above regarding this. On my iPhone 7 Plus, it gets plenty loud around 1/3 of the volume bar. I cannot imagine going over even 1/2 of the maximum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back