Sony walkman Tips and Tricks
Oct 4, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #122 of 143
USING AN EXTERNAL COVER ART PICTURE INSTEAD OF EMBEDDING IT TO EACH FILE TO SAVE UP SPACE (starting with FW 3.0)

1. Select the folders of your albums in windows explorer and rightclick and chosose MP3TAG

2. In MP3TAG select all of your files and choce the quick actions icon

3. Under quick actions menu, choose Export cover to file option

4. Under the export to file dialog, in the File format string type in %_directory% and click OK

5. Click on the left on the square part with a CD icon or your covert art, right click and choose remove cover and click the diskette icon to save changes

Jan 3, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #123 of 143
Hello all,

My Music is in AIFF losses format on a Apple iMac Computer.
All AIFF files are from CD’s I own.

I will use the Walkman as a Music Transport to my Sony TA-Z1HES.

ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR BEST QUALITY?
CAN I JUST COPY THE AIFF FILES INTO THE WALKMAN OR SHOULD I RIP THE CD’S AGAIN USING A DIFFERENT FORMAT AND IF SO SHOULD I USE SONY WALKMAN SOFTWARE?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #124 of 143
Hello all,

My Music is in AIFF losses format on a Apple iMac Computer.
All AIFF files are from CD’s I own.

I will use the Walkman as a Music Transport to my Sony TA-Z1HES.

ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR BEST QUALITY?
CAN I JUST COPY THE AIFF FILES INTO THE WALKMAN OR SHOULD I RIP THE CD’S AGAIN USING A DIFFERENT FORMAT AND IF SO SHOULD I USE SONY WALKMAN SOFTWARE?

It would help to know which Walkman you are using. For me, with an NW-A55, I just directly copy my AIFF library onto the Walkman's microSD card.

I do this on macOS using something called M3Unify from Dougscripts: https://dougscripts.com/apps/m3unifyapp.php

You just export a playlist (or selection of albums and tracks) directly from iTunes to your Walkman storage. There are transcoding options, the ability to export cover art, folder organization options and it will build an M3U playlist that the Walkman can read. Works great.

Jan 3, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #125 of 143
Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #128 of 143
Would anyone know how you can get the WM1A to recognise playlists?

I have tried using Music Brainz and tagging all my tracks and then putting them in my playlist folder but the dap will show no playlists... it shows the tracks in everything else, artist song album genre release etc but there is nothing in playlists...

I am using a MacBook Pro for transferring and have tried to use the music transfer download but it just keeps crashing and reopening and crashing... it did work for a short while but even in that I couldn’t get it to read my playlists...

I don’t want to use iTunes as I want to keep my music as Flac files... I have found a lot of ways to transfer playlists using windows but nothing I can use for a Mac....

Could anyone advise what I am doing wrong or not doing at all please?

Thanks

Dec 21, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #129 of 143
Would anyone know how you can get the WM1A to recognise playlists?

I have tried using Music Brainz and tagging all my tracks and then putting them in my playlist folder but the dap will show no playlists... it shows the tracks in everything else, artist song album genre release etc but there is nothing in playlists...

I am using a MacBook Pro for transferring and have tried to use the music transfer download but it just keeps crashing and reopening and crashing... it did work for a short while but even in that I couldn’t get it to read my playlists...

I don’t want to use iTunes as I want to keep my music as Flac files... I have found a lot of ways to transfer playlists using windows but nothing I can use for a Mac....

Could anyone advise what I am doing wrong or not doing at all please?

Thanks
search this thread there is i fo about this topic

Dec 21, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #131 of 143
search this thread there is i fo about this topic

Hi mate

So I have created the m3u text files for each of my playlists, the m3u text file is in each of the playlist folders...

I have copied everything over and went to check the WM Playlists option from the menu and all the playlists titles show up... but there are no songs in the playlists or rather aren’t showing up from those playlists.

So I followed what you suggested to do earlier... I went to WM on Mac and selected music and then selected one of the playlists folder then I found the m3u file inside that playlist and opened using text editor... the text window opened and I selected Edit (from the top bar) and there isn’t an option to replace I cannot see any option for anything similar either...

Am I placing the text files in the right place? Ie in the playlist folder along with the tracks?

And is your example for adding/ replacing with 2 dots done on a windows computer and if so do you know how to do that same process on the Mac please?

Thanks again I am nearly there ...

Dec 21, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #132 of 143
Hi mate

So I have created the m3u text files for each of my playlists, the m3u text file is in each of the playlist folders...

I have copied everything over and went to check the WM Playlists option from the menu and all the playlists titles show up... but there are no songs in the playlists or rather aren’t showing up from those playlists.

So I followed what you suggested to do earlier... I went to WM on Mac and selected music and then selected one of the playlists folder then I found the m3u file inside that playlist and opened using text editor... the text window opened and I selected Edit (from the top bar) and there isn’t an option to replace I cannot see any option for anything similar either...

Am I placing the text files in the right place? Ie in the playlist folder along with the tracks?

And is your example for adding/ replacing with 2 dots done on a windows computer and if so do you know how to do that same process on the Mac please?

Thanks again I am nearly there ...
Odd thay mac text editor doesn't has a replace function, try to see if it has a find text function. The two dots works as it is agnostic of drive letter

Feb 6, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #133 of 143
Hey all.
Just picked up an A17 and have some questions about it…

First, is it possible to create a playlist using songs from both the internal and sd card? With my 1st gen Fiio X3, I would make 2 separate playlists (using Musicbee) and combine them using notepad++ adding A: for the internal storage and B: for the sd card. I haven't been able to find if Sony uses a similar drive mapping convention

Second, how on earth is that Sony Music Center (or whatever they call it now) supposed to work regarding Senseme? I tried playing with it and it does analyse the tracks correctly, but you can't do anything with it. In MediaGo you could build a playlist using Senseme data, with Media Gallery it would analyse your library and offer up channels on the PC (additional channels from what the device has - sadly it won't work with lossless formats). I was hoping the new software would let me have the additional channels to put on the A17 - Senseme is one of the biggest reason I bought the device.

Finally, and probably most important, do you guys know anywhere I can still get a LOD cable? All I can find a stupid long ones on ebay, or stupid expensive ones from cable manf. I just want a nice short cheap one like Fiio used to sell.

Cheers.

Feb 6, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #134 of 143
Hey all.
Just picked up an A17 and have some questions about it…

First, is it possible to create a playlist using songs from both the internal and sd card? With my 1st gen Fiio X3, I would make 2 separate playlists (using Musicbee) and combine them using notepad++ adding A: for the internal storage and B: for the sd card. I haven't been able to find if Sony uses a similar drive mapping convention

Second, how on earth is that Sony Music Center (or whatever they call it now) supposed to work regarding Senseme? I tried playing with it and it does analyse the tracks correctly, but you can't do anything with it. In MediaGo you could build a playlist using Senseme data, with Media Gallery it would analyse your library and offer up channels on the PC (additional channels from what the device has - sadly it won't work with lossless formats). I was hoping the new software would let me have the additional channels to put on the A17 - Senseme is one of the biggest reason I bought the device.

Finally, and probably most important, do you guys know anywhere I can still get a LOD cable? All I can find a stupid long ones on ebay, or stupid expensive ones from cable manf. I just want a nice short cheap one like Fiio used to sell.

Cheers.
No, tou cannot combine both storage units in a single playlist sadly. So Playliat A stored on the MicroSd will not be able to map songs on the internal stirage . Same would apply for playliat B stored on internal storage wont be able to reference aongs in the mSD card.
If i remember the sony NW-A17 has a function builtin to analyze sensMe channels.

I fear the LOD cables are discontinued as sony stopped using line out on the walkmans after 2016 and recent releases are switching to USB c

How to reference songs in a playlist
..\MUSIC\Antonio Vivaldi\<album x>\<track 001>.flac

Tou dont use A or B juat two dots and the path music stays the same so basic template ..\MUSIC\

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #135 of 143
No, tou cannot combine both storage units in a single playlist sadly. So Playliat A stored on the MicroSd will not be able to map songs on the internal stirage . Same would apply for playliat B stored on internal storage wont be able to reference aongs in the mSD card.
If i remember the sony NW-A17 has a function builtin to analyze sensMe channels.

I fear the LOD cables are discontinued as sony stopped using line out on the walkmans after 2016 and recent releases are switching to USB c

How to reference songs in a playlist
..\MUSIC\Antonio Vivaldi\<album x>\<track 001>.flac

Tou dont use A or B juat two dots and the path music stays the same so basic template ..\MUSIC\

I had no problem getting individual playlists sorted - Musicbee handled that no problem. I was hoping there was a way to combine them.

Yes, the A17 does do Senseme on its own. That old Media Gallery program had more channels though (running, walking, rainy day, plus more) so I was hoping the new program would have the same thing. Considering that Sony's software has always sucked I'm not surprised that the best features (IMO) have been dropped.

I was hoping there are still some LODs in stock somewhere. I put out a couple of want ads to see if I could even pick up a used one. Kind of annoying really. I can still find stacking kits and other accessories for my Fiio X3, but Sony stuff is MIA. What'd Sony do, threaten everybody with lawsuits if they sold discontinued accessories…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back