Sony walkman Tips and Tricks
Sep 16, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #91 of 143
Heyy, It's me again, you guys still up there?

I'm using Vox now, it's work well, however, new problem: Podcasts.

Recently, I've some podcast to put on my Walkman, but, It doesn't sort.

For Example, I have a podcast folder with files such as:

Exp 1
Exp 2
Exp 3
Exp 10
(all converted name and id3tag perfectly, put on 'PODCAST' folders.)

When I play, the list on my walkman appears as:
Exp 1
Exp 5
Exp 6
Exp 2

I'm quite confused here since My folder contains more than 30 podcasts, so it's quite annoying, especially as a Language teacher, I can't keep wasting time to find the podcast.

However, I realized that some folders have decent sort like:
Exp2 1
Exp2 2
Exp2 3

Is there any mistake that I've made? Help me, tks in advance.
Perhaps has to do with some spaces, or lack of space between the name and the number, i have been there with music albums

Sep 17, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #92 of 143
Perhaps has to do with some spaces, or lack of space between the name and the number, i have been there with music albums
Thank you, I noticed that many files are mistaken when I named it,

Furthermore, I've just found out that this walkman has problems with numbers, for example:
ex 1
ex 2
ex 3
ex 15

The files are sorted as
ex 1
ex 10
ex 11
ex 12
ex 13
ex 2
ex 20
ex 3

I'm using the method "rename as name and counter" that works, however, It's numbered 00001 00002 which annoys me, but, it works!

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #93 of 143
This is fairly common it seems to sort "alphabetically" so 1 ...9 is fine but what about 0 alphabetically 0 starts before 1 therefore it makes 1, 10, 100, to fix this you must add a zero before such as 001, 010, 100

I have the same issue 1505659194607301895429.jpg

Sep 18, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #94 of 143
This is fairly common it seems to sort "alphabetically" so 1 ...9 is fine but what about 0 alphabetically 0 starts before 1 therefore it makes 1, 10, 100, to fix this you must add a zero before such as 001, 010, 100

I have the same issue

Hey, is this NW-WM1A? How it sounds to you compared with A15/A35? I've heard that A15 sounds identical to A35 but it's still controversial, I believe WM1 definitely has better sound than A series. :)

Furthermore? What are your settings? I turn on Clear Audio, Hi-res downsampling but apparently I haven't utilized all potentials of this walkman.

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #95 of 143
Hey, is this NW-WM1A? How it sounds to you compared with A15/A35? I've heard that A15 sounds identical to A35 but it's still controversial, I believe WM1 definitely has better sound than A series. :)

Furthermore? What are your settings? I turn on Clear Audio, Hi-res downsampling but apparently I haven't utilized all potentials of this walkman.
I had an a10. Walkman and yeah the wm1a is way better in every aspect, more clarity, bigger Soundstage, as for my settings I have it as source direct (all effects off)

Oct 15, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #96 of 143
Disabling DSP (source direct) you can save lots of battery life as well reducing screen brightness and disabling all radio stuff such as Bluetooth, NFC, remote. but most important dont fiddle with screen too much

Dec 25, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #97 of 143
CONVERTING DSD-FILES (DSF / DFF) TO PCM 16- OR 24-BIT

WARNING: Converting DSD to PCM can result in a lossy process (loss of quality), better to keep the original DFF or DSF files.

If you don't like DSD on the go, then you can convert them to PCM

I use dbpowerAmp and i downloaded Dbpower's DSD-decoder found in their codecs web page
Then i select my DSD files and apply the same process as converting hi-res to 16-bit

1) select your DSD files and click right mouse button, Convert TO

2)In dbpoweramp conversion select FLAC or your format of choise such as ALAC (must be downloaded i think, same for APE)
3) chose Add DSP Effect button and select from the menu "Bit depth" and "Resample"

4)in Bit depth setting choose either 16 or 24 bit but in add dither chose triangular dither TDP

5) in Resample DSP otions choose your choice from 44100 to 384000 for example i chose 44100

6) click convert and wait a Long time :D (converting DSD to flac takes a quite lengthy time)

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #98 of 143
Thx a lot for the guides. I transfer with bluetooth.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #99 of 143
I received the NW-A35 on 23 December and have been testing for over a week with a small number of sample albums and playlists from my 21,000+ track digital music library, stored on a Synology NAS drive, and accessed via a Windows 10 laptop. I bought the NW-A35 with a 200GB MicroSD card to replace my old broken iPod Classic.

I have very conflicted feelings about this device, as I love the look, size, weight, sound and feel of it, and it has a lovely clear display, but there are four BIG, fundamental "howevers" making me consider getting a refund (dependent on the feedback I receive from Sony on whether there are, or they are working on fixes). Maybe people on this thread may know of workable solutions to the "gapless" and "missing mp3" issues..?

1. Around 50% of my album art didn't appear on the player, but appears on every other digital music device I've used (iPod, Logitech Media Server, Samsung Galaxy A3). Some heavy Googling determined this is because they were "progressive" jpgs, and the player can only read/display "baseline" encoded jpgs. Several hours of testing and research online led me to using the free IrfanView image editing software to losslessly convert these jpgs into baseline within the folder structure the media library and cover art images sit in. I'm now having to spend two days using the excellent Bliss software to un-embed album art from all my digital library tracks, then re-embed my entire library all over again in order to "refresh" the images that have changed to baseline so that they will (hopefully) all appear in the Sony player. Several days of faffing over the Christmas period just to deal with this issue - why can't Sony upgrade the firmware to make it read (the very common) progressive JPG format? This is a problem I'd imagine the casual user wouldn't have the time, knowledge or inclination to investigate and resolve, and Sony really do need to address this urgently, as they also need to with the next one to make it a true iPod alternative...

2. Gapless playback doesn't appear to work - to stop those extremely irritating momentary silent gaps that stick out like a sore thumb when listening to albums containing continuous music across multiple tracks (such as live albums, mix CDs and many "concept" type albums [remember 'War of the Worlds'?]). Almost all of the music I have transferred to the device is transcoded (converted) to 192kbps m4a format (i.e. dithered down to a lower sound, to fit all my 21,000 tracks on the device). Any albums containing continuous music have an audible glitch a split second into each track after its transition from the previous – so it's not true "gapless" audio. This is another fundamental flaw in this device, as it is aimed at people with large music collections that used to own iPod Classics. Such users will invariably own several albums where true gapless playback is required to enjoy their albums as they originally sounded. I'm interested to know if Sony plan to fix this, or if they know of a workaround (such as transcoding into a different, but equivalent format when transferring music to the device).

3. Sony's Media Go and (more recent) Music Center software are both dreadful, slow and not fit for purpose – Instead, I have imported my old iTunes library into MediaMonkey, which I now use to synchronise my music and playlists with the Sony player. Sony should ditch both pieces of software, and focus on making devices syncable with as many established pieces of music software as possible – and fixing the album art and true gapless issues that other portable media players do with ease.

4. Some mp3 files won't transfer to the device or appear in playlists. MediaMonkey throws up an error that some (but not all) of my mp3 files aren't in a format compatible with the device. However, if I drag and drop these mp3 files into the device's 'MUSIC' folder, I can play them directly from the device – so they clearly are compatible. The particular mp3s are all long ones (between 00h 59m and 3hrs in length) and were all created in Sony Sound Forge some time ago. Not sure why these are considered incompatible, as they play on all my other devices and are a standard mp3 format (128kbps CBR, 44.1kHz, 16 bit). Nothing I've found online can tell me why these won't synchronise with the device or appear in playlists.

So, in summary, I'm unsure about whether I should keep or return this item. I really wanted to keep it as a long-tern replacement for my iPod Classic, but it is a player with complications, that lacks the intuitive, ease of use the iPod had. I will hopefully finish replacing my progressive jpg album covers with baseline versions, then will test the player a bit further. If I'm still unable to see all my cover art, and if Sony don't have immediate plans to update the firmware to enable true gapless playback across all audio formats, I'm very likely to return this for a refund, and wait until the true iPod replacement materialises.

Jan 2, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #100 of 143
I received the NW-A35 on 23 December and have been testing for over a week with a small number of sample albums and playlists from my 21,000+ track digital music library, stored on a Synology NAS drive, and accessed via a Windows 10 laptop. I bought the NW-A35 with a 200GB MicroSD card to replace my old broken iPod Classic.

I have very conflicted feelings about this device, as I love the look, size, weight, sound and feel of it, and it has a lovely clear display, but there are four BIG, fundamental "howevers" making me consider getting a refund (dependent on the feedback I receive from Sony on whether there are, or they are working on fixes). Maybe people on this thread may know of workable solutions to the "gapless" and "missing mp3" issues..?

1. Around 50% of my album art didn't appear on the player, but appears on every other digital music device I've used (iPod, Logitech Media Server, Samsung Galaxy A3). Some heavy Googling determined this is because they were "progressive" jpgs, and the player can only read/display "baseline" encoded jpgs. Several hours of testing and research online led me to using the free IrfanView image editing software to losslessly convert these jpgs into baseline within the folder structure the media library and cover art images sit in. I'm now having to spend two days using the excellent Bliss software to un-embed album art from all my digital library tracks, then re-embed my entire library all over again in order to "refresh" the images that have changed to baseline so that they will (hopefully) all appear in the Sony player. Several days of faffing over the Christmas period just to deal with this issue - why can't Sony upgrade the firmware to make it read (the very common) progressive JPG format? This is a problem I'd imagine the casual user wouldn't have the time, knowledge or inclination to investigate and resolve, and Sony really do need to address this urgently, as they also need to with the next one to make it a true iPod alternative...

2. Gapless playback doesn't appear to work - to stop those extremely irritating momentary silent gaps that stick out like a sore thumb when listening to albums containing continuous music across multiple tracks (such as live albums, mix CDs and many "concept" type albums [remember 'War of the Worlds'?]). Almost all of the music I have transferred to the device is transcoded (converted) to 192kbps m4a format (i.e. dithered down to a lower sound, to fit all my 21,000 tracks on the device). Any albums containing continuous music have an audible glitch a split second into each track after its transition from the previous – so it's not true "gapless" audio. This is another fundamental flaw in this device, as it is aimed at people with large music collections that used to own iPod Classics. Such users will invariably own several albums where true gapless playback is required to enjoy their albums as they originally sounded. I'm interested to know if Sony plan to fix this, or if they know of a workaround (such as transcoding into a different, but equivalent format when transferring music to the device).

3. Sony's Media Go and (more recent) Music Center software are both dreadful, slow and not fit for purpose – Instead, I have imported my old iTunes library into MediaMonkey, which I now use to synchronise my music and playlists with the Sony player. Sony should ditch both pieces of software, and focus on making devices syncable with as many established pieces of music software as possible – and fixing the album art and true gapless issues that other portable media players do with ease.

4. Some mp3 files won't transfer to the device or appear in playlists. MediaMonkey throws up an error that some (but not all) of my mp3 files aren't in a format compatible with the device. However, if I drag and drop these mp3 files into the device's 'MUSIC' folder, I can play them directly from the device – so they clearly are compatible. The particular mp3s are all long ones (between 00h 59m and 3hrs in length) and were all created in Sony Sound Forge some time ago. Not sure why these are considered incompatible, as they play on all my other devices and are a standard mp3 format (128kbps CBR, 44.1kHz, 16 bit). Nothing I've found online can tell me why these won't synchronise with the device or appear in playlists.

So, in summary, I'm unsure about whether I should keep or return this item. I really wanted to keep it as a long-tern replacement for my iPod Classic, but it is a player with complications, that lacks the intuitive, ease of use the iPod had. I will hopefully finish replacing my progressive jpg album covers with baseline versions, then will test the player a bit further. If I'm still unable to see all my cover art, and if Sony don't have immediate plans to update the firmware to enable true gapless playback across all audio formats, I'm very likely to return this for a refund, and wait until the true iPod replacement materialises.
The number 1. Sadly we have to scan cover art for progressive jpg (is more about how jpg is displayed on a web browser prog vs baseline)

The gap less issue : gap less works with lossless files (flac, alac, wav, aiff and DSD) does not work with lossy formats like mp3 and mp4 and AAC, ipod inserts a timing data to minimize the gap, but the format it self is not intended to be gap less as mp3 is encoded on blocks

I find media go to be better than music center, I've thrown that junk out of my PC

Mp3 having error at transfer, maybe use a tool to scan music for corruption, I use DB power amp and other I listed here

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #101 of 143

4. Sounds like it's a MediaMonkey problem. Have you tried using something else? I use Media Go and have yet to encounter any mp3 transfer problems.

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #102 of 143
Most of my .dsf are showing Unknown in the walkman..
Funny is they also appeared normal in my JR centre and and also foobar2000.

So began my basic troubleshooting...
when I use Media Go to point to my library, same as my JR centre..
all the .dsf in folder tab is blank..
and when I started to tag them with Media Go..
I get this error "Error while writing metadata to ...."
So i removed all the tag and re-build it with Mp3tag and Media Go still see it as Unknown.
Tagged again with Media Go... and when saving, same error "Error while writing metadata to ...." appeared again.

Although, after tagging with Media Go the album cover appeared with all properties.
Using the tool function to re-scan the files and everything is back to unknown..
Transfer the album using Media Go and album still appeared as "Unknown"

The above was tested with only 1 album.

anyone had idea to resolve this..
Ps all my collection tagging had been done with Mp3tag since day1
I recently downloaded some SACD iso and a DSD album... while extracting the Iso files, they were extracted as a huge DFF file and i used TEAC HI-RES editor to manually split each track and save natively to DSF. and tagged them with mp3 tag.

DFF files are like WAV you cannot tag them unfortunately
DSF files are like FLAC and mp3, you can tag them, however a word of CAUTION DSF files use the ID3 tag system like MP3 and not the FLAC ogg vorbis comments system, so that means it doesn't support DISCTOTAL and TRACKTOTAL to solve this, i do in the Track and Disc (Number) tag as follows Track: Current track # / Track total count for album, yeah you insert a slah like f.e if your album has 12 tracks, the first song will be 1/12, 2nd is 2/12 and so on until 12/12. Disc tag is the same current CD/total disc count. so if your box-set has 35 CDs first CD is 1/35, 2nd is 2/35 and so on until 35/35.

With mp3 tag when i had the same versions of the DSD albums in 24-bit with this damn lossy process that lost quality.. i juts did the tag copy from FLAC to DSF and then i set on all DSFs, in the Quick actions in mp3tag software-- Guess values and set the guessing pattern as %track% / %tracktotal% nand %disc%/%disctotal% and after all was formatted as x/y i wiped the disctotal and tracktotal tags off the dsf files

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #103 of 143
Has anyone been able to save eq presets and retrieve them? If so, what steps are you Following?

I have tried by reading the help guide on Sony’s website but it says it saves the settings but then the eq turns flat again. And also I haven’t found away to use a saved eq setting. I very time I go to an eq saved setting it just asks if I want to overwrite it with the current setting. I wish the Sony manual were more detailed!

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #104 of 143
SAVING CUSTOM EQ SETTINGS

1. If your walkman has the DIRECT SOURCE set to ON, turn it OFF, then go to the EQ/Tone control Page (I'm using a NW-WM1A)

2. Mess with your EQ to your liking, the one i did is an example as it may look extreme. Once done editing the EQ values click complete on the eq settings.

3. Tap the SETTINGS Menu (Toolbox icon) then Tap saved sound settings. You are in the Saved sound settings options.

4. Tap the Save Current settings Button and the WHERE TO SAVE pop-up appears, choose one setting to save at (tap)

5. If the dialog prompt that tells you to replace the current settings pops-up, click OK

6. Your settings are now saved To retrieve them just Tap the saved sound setting 1, 2 or 3 (where you saved your cusyom EQ and other presets) and tey will load. If a prompt to overwrite current settings pops up, click OK to LOAD your SAVED SETTINGS

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #105 of 143
COMPUTING CRC AND/OR MD5 CHECKSUM HASHES FOR INTEGRITY, FOR FILES THAT DON'T SUPPORT ERROR ROBUSTNESS (WAVE, ALAC (MP4 IN GENERAL), DSD (BOTH DSF AND DFF) USING DBPOWER AMP.
1. If you don't have the Compute Audio CRC "utility codec" go to codec central and download it and install it
https://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm

2. Select your albums (WAV, DSD) and right click convert To

3. In DbPowerAMP select Compute Audio CRC, then Check (tick) the boxes with CRC32 to compute CRC hash and/or MD5 hash to compute either just the MD5 or both hashes

4. Click Convert >> button and wait to finish, with DSD it takes a long time to finish.

5. When it finishes it opens a text editor, in your text editor click save as... to save (preferrably on the album location) and set your file name, my case i set to checksum data.txt

6. repeat for every DSD/WAV/<other format that does not support error robustness> albums

Users who are viewing this thread

Back