Sony Walkman Thread: 2022 Successors to the WM1A & WM1Z
Nov 27, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #1,068 of 1,079
I have the Sony TA, IER-Z1R and 1A and 1Z. There is definitely a difference when the TA takes over. It depends on the volume used. As folks I’ve known for years and years don’t notice a need for extra volume due to listening at ultra low volume levels with the IER-Z1R.

I’m pretty much in the middle. Meaning I hear a difference but I use all three and don’t really care about the slight lack of damping on the IER with the original 1A/1Z.

Still if you go to some websites like in Chinese, they all believe the IER-Z1R is grossly underpowered by the Walkmans. 100% of the website.

The thing is damping is real. It can be physical or electronic. They do slightly different things. But electronic damping as you know affects the driver from starting and stopping in relation to impulse.

And remember this doesn’t affect volume, the volume stays almost exactly the same, you only get bass quality and soundstage.

The benefits of more juice with 4.4mm is increased soundstage as well as better bass texture and timbre. Still from the TA I get the increased power while even using 3.5mm cables. Typically I don’t change cables out of the IER-Z1R as the MMCX will not tolerate continuous cable rolling. Though I did when I first got the TA and IER-Z1R.

Your right in a sense that expectation bias can create the illusion of all this too. But.....I’m pretty sure I’m right?

But typically DD hybrids use more power I’ve found. Really it depends on your listening level.
gonna chime in, very late, to this conversation, using my dual planar single dd (14.3mm planar, 10mm planar, 6mm dd, all full ranged) iems with the r2r2000, setting the gain from high to low to super low, there are differences but barely in staging in dynamics, and actually the super low gain's tonality sounds the best.

I think it's all about finding the sweetspot, Using the ifi diablo my dual planar 1 dd were very bright and harsh sounding.

remember there are 3 different drivers in the ier z1r, more power may change their balance which is why finding a good source and synergy is number 1.

As for the TA, I think it's the fact that it's a much much much much much larger device with much improved tech rather than power output alone, not sure if power output even matters, might just be the design.

obravo cupids is another example, it was terrific from both the ifi diablo and n6ii e02, I think both pushed the drivers to their potential but the design made the cupids sound very VERY different, however looking at the diablo specs one could be blinded by the power output and claim it's the reason for the change.

p.s. only non-dongle source I got to try with the ier z1r was the diablo and the pairing was absolutely fantastic :)

Nov 27, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #1,069 of 1,079
gonna chime in, very late, to this conversation, using my dual planar single dd (14.3mm planar, 10mm planar, 6mm dd, all full ranged) iems with the r2r2000, setting the gain from high to low to super low, there are differences but barely in staging in dynamics, and actually the super low gain's tonality sounds the best.

I think it's all about finding the sweetspot, Using the ifi diablo my dual planar 1 dd were very bright and harsh sounding.

remember there are 3 different drivers in the ier z1r, more power may change their balance which is why finding a good source and synergy is number 1.

As for the TA, I think it's the fact that it's a much much much much much larger device with much improved tech rather than power output alone, not sure if power output even matters, might just be the design.

obravo cupids is another example, it was terrific from both the ifi diablo and n6ii e02, I think both pushed the drivers to their potential but the design made the cupids sound very VERY different, however looking at the diablo specs one could be blinded by the power output and claim it's the reason for the change.

p.s. only non-dongle source I got to try with the ier z1r was the diablo and the pairing was absolutely fantastic :)
I actually agree with you as it's the same in my case: the IER-Z1R sounds superb on my WM1Z too. I bought the 1Z knowingly that the TA gives better sound to my ears (admittedly I didn't have much time to A/B them properly and I only volume matched them by ears on the spot). Still I'm quite confident that the difference is there. It's not much and it's hard to quantify but I'd say to my tested library it was like 3-5% different, mainly in term of cleanliness and bass presentation. Considering the form factor it's needless to say how much I was impressed with the 1Z and knew for sure right there at the showroom that I can live very happy with the WM1Z ...

... which brings me to the point that: nope, I don't agree that the IER-Z1R is grossly underpowered by the Walkmans. The TA still sounds better to me personally but not that much and I'm happy to trade that difference to have something to bring with me in my pocket when I go out to my local cafe.
The tone of the IER-Z1R is slightly affected by styles of amplification, but in my use, all of my three, 1Z,1A and TA, seem to provide an agreeable sound. The WM1A actually is one of the best being more mid-centric and offering faster more sculpted bass. On the other hand the TA offers somehow a push in lower midrange (silkiness) that’s tough to argue with. The 1Z has a slightly more V shape response which just happens to offer more air up-top than both the WM1A and TA. Actually in history here there have been folks who sold their TAs simply due to finding them too smooth.

But when you look at it, of course different methodologies into propelling drivers results in slightly different tone, I mean how could it not. If such tones are important probably concerns the individual and their preferences?

It’s all good, really. I mean the one bad source to me was the iPhone which went and underpowered the IER-Z1R to the point of it loosing pace. While I’m pretty open to different ways of driving the IER-Z1R, probably the phone use is only for those in a tight situation, where the IER-Z1R is enjoyable, but not all it can ultimately be.

Of the three drivers, probably they do ultimately change their response values in relationship to how the IER-Z1R is driven. Being a balance of sorts, where the middle BA and treble DD require less juice to come alive, the balance into what the bass DD does is very much a noticeable change. Being the IER actually gets faster and cleaner, almost thinner with more power.

The amp synergy will always be dependent upon what sound replay goals are in mind, finally arriving at a place to call home. I have my hopes up for Dongles. I haven’t used my Shanling UA3 with the IER-Z1R yet, but I bet it brings another flavor to be experienced.

In the end, the traits the IER-Z1R have are profoundly nice, where with most uses, it is not about fixing anything, and in that regard as long as their is power the IER-Z1R sounds great. Being well-rounded and not being finicky is one of the major traits of a true performer!

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #1,070 of 1,079

PSX_20221127_123421.jpg
I've been quietly testing the 1ZM2 over the past week or so, comparing it to the OG 1Z, Taz, and RS8. I'll have my notes drawn up and a short review written hopefully in the next week. Expect some surprises...

Nov 29, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #1,071 of 1,079
I've been quietly testing the 1ZM2 over the past week or so, comparing it to the OG 1Z, Taz, and RS8. I'll have my notes drawn up and a short review written hopefully in the next week. Expect some surprises...
Very nice can't wait to read this!

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #1,074 of 1,079
As someone who just bought a second hand WM1A, I don't know if I should be feeling any form of missing out. I just got the battery replaced and my library is offline. Nonetheless, still very excited to walk with Sony to the next level of Walkman
Hello, I just recently ordered a used Japanese WM1A with only 44 hours of use and was wondering how you went about getting the battery replaced. Send it to Sony or someone local to you?

Dec 6, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #1,075 of 1,079
Hello, I just recently ordered a used Japanese WM1A with only 44 hours of use and was wondering how you went about getting the battery replaced. Send it to Sony or someone local to you?
Curious as well. 1Z located Stateside

Dec 8, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #1,076 of 1,079
What's the max capacity card the original WM1A can handle? Can I get a 512 microsdxc? A 1tb? 2tb?

Jan 3, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #1,078 of 1,079
Hey guys, I just posted my overview of the WM1ZM2 here.
It's mostly a comparative review with the original WM1Z. Enjoy!

M2_03.jpg
Great review Guy. Did not know that UAPP and other apps will not work seamlessly as the Sony app and I have reverted to using the Sony app!

Love the M2! Long live the king!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back