Sony Walkman Thread: 2022 Successors to the WM1A & WM1Z
Feb 25, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #931 of 1,079
Yes I usd my 1Z exclusively as my travel rig while at home the TA is fed by an Auralic streamer. Have never heard the DMP it has not been available for demo nor sale in Denmark
The DMP is wonderful sounding but it isn’t worth the full asking price either. You will love it so I hope you get to audition one soon. The DMP is very refined sounding.

Feb 25, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #932 of 1,079
The DMP is wonderful sounding but it isn’t worth the full asking price either. You will love it so I hope you get to audition one soon. The DMP is very refined sounding.
Would love to but there is no way I could justify spending the money it cost

Feb 25, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #933 of 1,079
Ah so I should move my TA-ZH1ES to a power conditioner.
If your outlet sucks, then it could help, yes. It depends on how much it does. The TA-ZH1ES can compensate that to a certain degree

You could just get an good UPS too, then you have basically the same as the DMP-Z1, giant battery feeding your TA-ZH1ES. Most power conditioners cost more than an UPS while providing worse results. It's easy to make money with audiophiles so don't get scammed

Feb 25, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #935 of 1,079
You could just get an good UPS too, then you have basically the same as the DMP-Z1, giant battery feeding your TA-ZH1ES. Most power conditioners cost more than an UPS while providing worse results. It's easy to make money with audiophiles so don't get scammed
Funny how I used to think like that until I was able to sit down and do a side by side comparison between the DMP and TAZH1ES. Don’t forget that the DMP has a dedicated battery to feed analog and digital section. Only Ibasso DX300MAX and 220MAX have that similarity to the DMP.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #936 of 1,079
Funny how I used to think like that until I was able to sit down and do a side by side comparison between the DMP and TAZH1ES. Don’t forget that the DMP has a dedicated battery to feed analog and digital section. Only Ibasso DX300MAX and 220MAX have that similarity to the DMP.
Now I wonder why it shows the top quote to be by me since I never wrote that

Feb 25, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #937 of 1,079
Feb 26, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #938 of 1,079
Feb 26, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #940 of 1,079
I really wanted these badboys at Canjam today, no show from Sony, sad.

Feb 26, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #941 of 1,079
I really wanted these badboys at Canjam today, no show from Sony, sad.
That’s disappointing honestly. Doesn’t take much for Sony to exhibit at CANJam.

Feb 27, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #942 of 1,079
From what I remember I switched DSD off, and then I switched direct sound on. When did that I don't remember seeing the DSD option any more so I think it is not possible to have DSD remastering with direct sound on.
Interesting because in DMP, you can only see the DSD Remastering option when the Direct Sound is on.

Feb 27, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #943 of 1,079
Interesting because in DMP, you can only see the DSD Remastering option when the Direct Sound is on.

When DSD Remastering is on, the audio is already being played as DSD 5.6 MHz (for the DMP-Z1) or 11.2 MHz (for WM1M2), so we know that Direct Source doesn't exactly apply to DSD audio (as DSD is being played-back natively), so in the case of the DMP-Z1 how could Direct Source be combined with DSD Remastering? Also, if Direct Source is not on, then we can see the effects screen, even if they wouldn't work with DSD playback (similar to how we see the effects screen when we use BT to listen to some BT headphones, even though effects are not working).

I would say that for the DMP-Z1 they just didn't want to do too much work to change the UI, so they just added DSD Remastering to the Walkman OS and then forced us to have Direct Source enabled. In this way, the effects screen is not displayed (so we won't think that effects might be usable).

What I mean to say is that even on the DMP-Z1 it was always a case of Direct Source OR DSD Remastering OR Sound effects, and not Direct Source + DSD Remastering.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #944 of 1,079
When DSD Remastering is on, the audio is already being played as DSD 5.6 MHz (for the DMP-Z1) or 11.2 MHz (for WM1M2), so we know that Direct Source doesn't exactly apply to DSD audio (as DSD is being played-back natively), so in the case of the DMP-Z1 how could Direct Source be combined with DSD Remastering? Also, if Direct Source is not on, then we can see the effects screen, even if they wouldn't work with DSD playback (similar to how we see the effects screen when we use BT to listen to some BT headphones, even though effects are not working).

I would say that for the DMP-Z1 they just didn't want to do too much work to change the UI, so they just added DSD Remastering to the Walkman OS and then forced us to have Direct Source enabled. In this way, the effects screen is not displayed (so we won't think that effects might be usable).

What I mean to say is that even on the DMP-Z1 it was always a case of Direct Source OR DSD Remastering OR Sound effects, and not Direct Source + DSD Remastering.
Do you have their source code and know how they implement or you just guess.

All I know is that we cannot apply sound effect when DSD Remastering is on because you have to enable the Direct Source.

Feb 27, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #945 of 1,079
Do you have their source code and know how they implement or you just guess.

All I know is that we cannot apply sound effect when DSD Remastering is on because you have to enable the Direct Source.
As I understand dsd it is a one bit audio stream on which it is impossible to apply any mastering or dsp effects hence why all mastering happens in very high bit rate pcm and the finished product then gets converted to dsd if desired. At least that’s how I understand it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back