Sony Walkman Thread: 2022 Successors to the WM1A & WM1Z
Feb 11, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #691 of 1,079
I think its because it is this

TA-ZH1ES_open_revised-Large (1).jpg

vs this

1644600479043.png

If i counted correctly, the TA-ZH1ES uses 55 wound capacitors and gigantic LCs, not to mention all the other parts.

Its pretty much "No space Limitation" vs "Space Limitation"
Very possible, the age old tale of comprise when it has to get small

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #692 of 1,079
Yes! You can take the Walkman outside, even ride a bike with it. Where the TA would take a long power cord!
Very possible, the age old tale of comprise when it has to get small

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #693 of 1,079
Feb 11, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #694 of 1,079
I’m surprised they didn’t both have 1TB internalized data storage. We get the same storage as the first generation. That may be a modern age technical first. Over five years later and same same storage!

Feb 11, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #695 of 1,079
I’m surprised they didn’t both have 1TB internalized data storage. We get the same storage as the first generation. That may be a modern age technical first. Over five years later and same same storage!
They are probably expecting everyone to be streaming. I'm actually surprised that they put that much in

Feb 11, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #696 of 1,079
Simply not true. The myth you need MOAR power for DD is that - a myth.

My Just ear custom is a 16mm large DD+BA hybrid with a DD that's bigger the the vast majority of the DDs in IEMs you can find and it sounds superb on my 1Z - in fact I don't even use half of the output volume.
Nobody is saying you need massive amplification to enjoy DD IEM's. Heck I can plug BLON BL-03's into an iPhone dongle & start tapping my feet.

What I'm correctly stating is that if you intend to fully optimize DD IEM performance then 250mW is simply not enough, probably regardless of amp circuit quality.

Are IER-Z1R owners who drop five grand on a DAP hoping to get the most out of them? Seems like a safe assumption, which is why 250mW in 2022 is disappointing. Sure they may still sound fantastic on the WM1ZM2, but won't sound as good as they could've with a beefier headphone amp - making this a missed opportunity.

Feb 11, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #697 of 1,079

Staff member from e-earphone did an first impression on his private channel.

WM1Z --> WM1ZM2 > differences are small. WM1ZM2 sounds wider, especially in the vertical and it's a sound with large space while the WM1Z is deeper and more intimate sounding but still the overall impression is, that the differences are small. With the first generation, the density of details is richer and you can feel the deepnes and intimacy.

With the WM1A, it's the same. The sound is wider/larger, but slightly less deep.

And if you want an DAP with an listening sound (Japanese differentiate between Monitor and Listening sound. Listening is that what most people here call musical) that gives a deep sense of presence and a wide sound, there is no way around an WM1 (no matter if first is second generation).

Z vs A: The Z does present small/fine details better and gives a feel of a higher resolution overall. If the Z is 10/10, the A is 9/10 but the difference is not as big as the price difference.

His personal preference is

WM1Z > WM1ZM2 > WM1A > WM1AM2 because he prefers the deeper, intimate sound over the wider sound

Except the sound, he prefers the M2 in every other aspect

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #698 of 1,079
Nobody is saying you need massive amplification to enjoy DD IEM's. Heck I can plug BLON BL-03's into an iPhone dongle & start tapping my feet.

What I'm correctly stating is that if you intend to fully optimize DD IEM performance then 250mW is simply not enough, probably regardless of amp circuit quality.

Are IER-Z1R owners who drop five grand on a DAP hoping to get the most out of them? Seems like a safe assumption, which is why 250mW in 2022 is disappointing. Sure they may still sound fantastic on the WM1ZM2, but won't sound as good as they could've with a beefier headphone amp - making this a missed opportunity.
The maximum input power of the IER-Z1R is 100mW by the way. More will blow them.

Feb 11, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #699 of 1,079
They are probably expecting everyone to be streaming. I'm actually surprised that they put that much in
I didn't think of the streaming factor - good point, for most it would be redundant.

WM1Z --> WM1ZM2 > differences are small. WM1ZM2 sounds wider, especially in the vertical and it's a sound with large space while the WM1Z is deeper and more intimate sounding but still the overall impression is, that the differences are small. With the first generation, the density of details is richer and you can feel the deepnes and intimacy.

With the WM1A, it's the same. The sound is wider/larger, but slightly less deep.

And if you want an DAP with an listening sound (Japanese differentiate between Monitor and Listening sound. Listening is that what most people here call musical) that gives a deep sense of presence and a wide sound, there is no way around an WM1 (no matter if first is second generation).

Z vs A: The Z does present small/fine details better and gives a feel of a higher resolution overall. If the Z is 10/10, the A is 9/10 but the difference is not as big as the price difference.

WM1Z > WM1ZM2 > WM1A > WM1AM2 because he prefers the deeper, intimate sound over the wider sound

Thanks for sharing, +1 for my WM1Z, but I wonder if the units have enough burn in time.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #700 of 1,079

I know what he mentions is his subjective opinion, but still that doesn't make sense.

Many crucial components are upgraded / better implemented in the new generation models. So in mathematical thinking what he says is like "oh I like AMD Ryzen 5700, but in my opinion 3700 is better".

No, it can't be, unless the devices had some beta firmware bottlenecking the sound, or Sony made a very foolish mistake in design (which is not easily plausible).

The chances are :
1) The guy used a pre-burn-in demo units
2) He was careless and listened without enough focus
3) His hearing is not that good to extract nuances
4) He needs to clean his ears as soon as possible.

Feb 11, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #701 of 1,079
I know what he mentions is his subjective opinion, but still that doesn't make sense.

Many crucial components are upgraded / better implemented in the new generation models. So in mathematical thinking what he says is like "oh I like AMD Ryzen 5700, but in my opinion 3700 is better".

No, it can't be, unless the devices had some beta firmware bottlenecking the sound, or Sony made a very foolish mistake in design (which is not easily plausible).

The chances are :
1) The guy used a pre-burn-in demo units
2) He was careless and listened without enough focus
3) His hearing is not that good to extract nuances
4) He needs to clean his ears as soon as possible.
I just summarised it, he explained it a bit more in detail in the video.

Even if you don't share his opinion, there is no reason to talk about him that way. Please consider staying polite especially in this specific case where I might contribute to an misunderstanding. He also mentioned burn in beside his short time he had with the players.

I think it is way more complicated than just an upgrade of an graphics card. The worse device can sound more to your liking.

I personally think that the TA-ZH1ES is the ultimate device with the best sound at all (if you use Sony headphones), others prefer the DMP-Z1 and there are also people who prefer the WM1Z over the TA-ZH1ES.

My father prefers the XBA-N3 over the IER-Z1R because it sounds more fun to him.

Feb 11, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #702 of 1,079

Right, except he is most likely using the illustrious J setting which came with Japanese Walkmans. We will never experience this unless we read the Japanese language and import one. Or import the J model and fudge about with Japanese!

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #703 of 1,079
Right, except he is most likely using the illustrious J setting which came with Japanese Walkmans. We will never experience this unless we read the Japanese language and import one. Or import the J model and fudge about with Japanese!
They can be set to any language thanks to Android.

You can import an Japanese ZX507 too and just use it in every language.

I asked the developers about the differences in sound depending on the region of the player

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #704 of 1,079
Yeah, that makes sense. Still, I would have appreciated a larger internal memory. Streaming and personal collection is the best combo for me at this point. I don't think I'll ever give up on local files. Of course, there is the MicroSD card slot, but I feel that, within this price bracket, Sony should have increased memory size.

Feb 11, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #705 of 1,079

They can be set to any language thanks to Android.

You can import an Japanese ZX507 too and just use it in every language.

I asked the developers about the differences in sound depending on the region of the player
Who cares about language? Are you not reading? Japanese Region, Japanese Region! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back