Sony Walkman Thread: 2022 Successors to the WM1A & WM1Z
Feb 10, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #601 of 1,079
Totally agree but already having a Nayparm modded 1Z that I love there is no way I can justify to my self (let alone my wife) to buy one
His modifications on the 1A and 1Z are basically more or less what Sony engineers are doing with the new walkman. I doubt that the difference between your modded 1Z to 1ZM2 will be that drastic. I can’t justify getting the 1ZM2 (rather buy the Stax X9000), but will just get the 1AM2 and modify it. Almost $3k saving right there!

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #602 of 1,079
Do we know the price in USD? for lets say the USA.

Feb 10, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #603 of 1,079
Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #604 of 1,079
I‘m probably going to get both the DX240 and WM1AM2 at the same time and see which one wins for me.
I'd be extremely interested in your impressions since both DAP's are on my radar.

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #607 of 1,079
Woo Audio only wants $4199 for the the pre-ordered 1ZM2. Free shipping though!

https://wooaudio.com/sources/sony-nw1zm2

$4199?

*Im out*
hide-grogu.gif

Feb 10, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #608 of 1,079
If you buy the WM1ZM2, you have mental illness. This time around is identical to WM1AM2 except for kimber cable internally

Feb 10, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #609 of 1,079
If you buy the WM1ZM2, you have mental illness. This time around is identical to WM1AM2 except for kimber cable internally
Sometimes one person may buy a new T-shirt at doubled price just for a new limited edition sticker on top. It can be the same for the new walkmans to some people. They are not bothered so much by a little difference in price. To each their own I think. Calling them “mental illness” for a hobby product does come out as a bit harsh.

Feb 10, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #610 of 1,079
Sometimes one person may buy a new T-shirt at doubled price just for a new limited edition sticker on top. It can be the same for the new walkmans to some people. They are not bothered so much by a little difference in price. To each their own I think. Calling them “mental illness” for a hobby product does come out as a bit harsh.
Excuse my language, I will temper myself, but its products like WM1ZM2 that lead to snake oil accusations in this hobby. We want to reward companies improve quality, not increase copper purity, triple the price then make outrageous claims of improved sound.
Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 6.34.56 PM.png

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #611 of 1,079
Buy at a discount then u don’t! Wish they kept the price the same. Make the same amount of profits but gain sense of loyalty from a bigger sale volume.

Feb 10, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #612 of 1,079
Excuse my language, I will temper myself, but its products like WM1ZM2 that lead to snake oil accusations in this hobby. We want to reward companies improve quality, not increase copper purity then triple the price and make outrageous claims of sound.
There is certainly a pressure for companies to strive for better in order to stay alive I agree. There is no exception for Sony, if they can't keep up with time they won't survive. Snake oil or marketing won't help if the quality is not there. I can't talk about the new walkmans but for the 1st gen the quality is certainly there. You have the 1A mark 1 so I think you know it.
And yes the issue is the market now is so different than in 2016 and I'm also curious what Sony's moves are to tackle the new challenges.

Feb 10, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #613 of 1,079
Allow me to answer in detail.

When swapping between apps by tapping the multitasking button, it took like one second before the device reacted. The device performance is noticeably smoother when using just the W.Music app. The display itself is wide and really beautiful. There is a notification LED at the bottom left as well. Perhaps @MrWalkman can extract the W.Music APK for me to use in my Xperia :wink:

Considering it used the same CPU as a ZX507 (Even though its about 4x more expensive mind you), I am hardly surprised by its performance.

For those considering this WM1ZM2, please keep in mind that android obsolescence really is an issue which will be exacerbated with such an old CPU. Ask any owner of the ZX1 or ZX2 and you will know.
This is something I truly can't get. Sony should future-proof a bit these devices. I mean, they are not cheap at all and it might be a disappointment for people who can't afford frequent replacements of their daps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back