Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 2, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #211 of 8,232
Oct 2, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #214 of 8,232
As a sidenote, kudos to @MrWalkman for the completely painless and downright idiotproof installation process. Stress-free, package comes with everything that is required, reset utility in case device needs to go back to Sony... absolutely nothing like trying to flash an Android phone, that's for sure!
I agree, he has made the process so easy, otherwise I may have not even tried them.
I use custom roms on my tablet and there have been occasions where it has taken me 3 days to get the process right and it drives me up the wall with frustration.

Oct 2, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #215 of 8,232
Nice!

Any first impressions of the DMP-WM1 mod on 1A and 1Z?
Wow, this is a fantastic FW update. It’s an clear improvement for the first time, at least to my ears! I have enjoyed all of the previous ones, but they where somehow lacking something. Enjoying it right now and it’s a clear step up in all departments. It’s a keeper. On 1Z, reg. MX3 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻Thank you Mr.Walkman

Oct 2, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #217 of 8,232
I think the other thread will be locked forever

Who need it anyways 😅🤣😂
All the important action is being developed here.

We should of done that from day one. Other thread may have crickets left behind only

Oct 2, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #218 of 8,232
I think the other thread will be locked forever

Well, let's not discuss that here, I just wouldn't want this thread having the same fate.

Really appreciate it! :wink:

Wow, this is a fantastic FW update. It’s an clear improvement for the first time, at least to my ears! I have enjoyed all of the previous ones, but they where somehow lacking something. Enjoying it right now and it’s a clear step up in all departments. It’s a keeper. On 1Z, reg. MX3 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻Thank you Mr.Walkman

I'm glad you like it, man! Music is ❤, and the same goes for these players.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #219 of 8,232
I remember wanting a 1A sized DMP-Z1 Player, this is pretty much it.
Not to be a contrarian, but with my gear the difference between a DMP-Z1 and this Kaesei 1A is still quite large. They are not in the same tier.
DMP-Z1 has texturing that is insanely Holographic, 3D Like I have never heard before, at least on my planar drivers.
This firmware with my modifications is also holographic, with unbelievable transparency, but not on that level.

I've never been a fan of the IER-Z1R, so I take @Gamerlingual 's word that the difference there is what he is saying it is. That dynamic presentation is a bit bloaty as I remember it, no one would confuse it as being quick, which if I had to guess is a requirement to really enjoy what the DMP-Z1 has to offer.

Having said all of that, I am now severely addicted to this presentation, every genre benefits, and going back to earlier firmware is pretty much impossible, so much so that I have now deleted all the firmware that came before :)

This is a good day to enjoy some music 😍😍😍😍😍

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #220 of 8,232
This is how my surface pro desktop folders looks like hahaha

Its full of fW !

20201002_172930.jpg

Oct 2, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #221 of 8,232
This is how my surface pro desktop folders looks like hahaha

Its full of fW !

Oh, I have around 80GB in folders I've worked in, mostly from previous stuff. I gotta do some cleaning one day.

Oct 2, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #222 of 8,232
Oh, I have around 80GB in folders I've worked in, mostly from previous stuff. I gotta do some cleaning one day.

I just loaded Dmp-wm1 ! Test has begun

Attachments

• 20201002_173759.jpg
    20201002_173759.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Oct 2, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #223 of 8,232
Photo Oct 02, 5 28 07 PM.jpg

It is really trippy seeing the WM1A saying DMP-Z1 lol
Gave it a few songs to listen and compare so just some fun notes on what I'm hearing on an IER-Z1R and a Meze Empyrean (with silver cable).

WM1A+DMP-Z1 firmware mod, compared to its stock WM1A firmware, sounds more impactful. The sound has a much faster speed, and the bass hits harder. A bit on the cooler sound as well. It does really have a similar cool sound signature like the DMP-Z1 has. My biggest complaint with the WM1A was that it while the stock sound was great, it was a bit on the flatter side when it came to soundstage and height. This firmware mod really does give it some extension now and very happy to hear this. And that bass impact is soooo fun.

When comparing it to the actual DMP, the DMP is still quite on a different level. It's the sense of openness (that holographic thing) and the way it can separate all the detail into placement while still sounding very clear.

Still, what an incredible change this firmware did to the WM1A. Thank you so much for this and sent you a fun beer donation!

Oct 2, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #224 of 8,232

It is really trippy seeing the WM1A saying DMP-Z1 lol
Gave it a few songs to listen and compare so just some fun notes on what I'm hearing on an IER-Z1R and a Meze Empyrean (with silver cable).

WM1A+DMP-Z1 firmware mod, compared to its stock WM1A firmware, sounds more impactful. The sound has a much faster speed, and the bass hits harder. A bit on the cooler sound as well. It does really have a similar cool sound signature like the DMP-Z1 has. My biggest complaint with the WM1A was that it while the stock sound was great, it was a bit on the flatter side when it came to soundstage and height. This firmware mod really does give it some extension now and very happy to hear this. And that bass impact is soooo fun.

When comparing it to the actual DMP, the DMP is still quite on a different level. It's the sense of openness (that holographic thing) and the way it can separate all the detail into placement while still sounding very clear.

Still, what an incredible change this firmware did to the WM1A. Thank you so much for this and sent you a fun beer donation!

Really appreciate it, and I'm glad you like how it sounds! :beers:

Of course, the DMP will still be on a level of its own :)

Oct 2, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #225 of 8,232

Users who are viewing this thread

Back