Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 31, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #1,231 of 8,232
For everyone, please don't try to use model switchers or other things like that while having DMP-WM1 or MK2 installed. You may end up not being able to install StockRevert, and I don't really want to spend time providing support for things that are not actually related to DMP-WM1 or MK2.

Oct 31, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #1,232 of 8,232
All clear. If something doesn’t work, just PM MrWalkman and be patient. Don’t do anything else, except donate beers. Which I just did. Thank you!

Oct 31, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #1,233 of 8,232
All clear. If something doesn’t work, just PM MrWalkman and be patient. Don’t do anything else, except donate beers. Which I just did. Thank you!
I think your comment is pretty misleading. It would seem that someone would need to donate beers in order to get the problem solved? I don’t think that’s the case here.

Oct 31, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #1,234 of 8,232
I think your comment is pretty misleading. It would seem that someone would need to donate beers in order to get the problem solved? I don’t think that’s the case here.
Nope, not needed. It was by choice. He’s a kind gent and I appreciate him. That’s all. :)

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #1,235 of 8,232
B6DF3393-543E-4AC5-AD57-61EC9878333E.jpeg

Well I’ve found another interesting example of MrWalkman DMP-Z1MK2 bringing up the excitement of a mid-fi IEM. The qdc Anole V3 should have been one I guessed about trying a week ago? Being $600 and only a three BA Chinese import........it doesn’t really go along with the Chinese value curve? The 10 BA qdc Anole VX has taken all the limelight from the humble qdc Anole V3. Yet, if you were to hear both the VX and V3 together, it’s easy to understand they were made by the same company. I do not own the VX, but MK2 must upgrade the sound? I have listened to the VX with a Sony 1A.

And while these improvements are not as earth shattering as the Sony XBA-N3; they are parallel in so many ways. In my collection both the N3 and V3 suffered from a slight lack of midrange separation and sparkle.......until MrWalkman MK2 arrived! So it’s interesting as both are basically near the same quality regardless of price? I love them both so it’s hard to be perfectly objective here. The qdc is not double the sound quality of the N3 but the approach is different hence the results reflect those differences. The V3 is a very good application of BA bass. While MK2 does improve the bass.....it’s just like the N3 in that the majority of improvement is better clarity and imaging. Interestingly too, both IEMs are on the super small form factor and could be considered bass heavy. The N3 is slightly more exciting yet the V3 is doing it own different improvements, especially in a grand soundstage. If you were to read my review it was a slightly compact soundstage at the core of what needed to be improved along with more midrange and treble excitement. IMO

The Sony N3 is a DD for mids and bass along with a custom Sony super-tweeter. The qdc is simply three BAs. The V3 is rated high on Crinacle’s list with the Anole V3 getting a B and the Sony N3 getting a B+.

What was I talking about again?

Oh yes, the firmware here! Simply another tested example of MK2 raising the ability of mid-fi to a super special place. To me probably the biggest surprise is how this firmware has become a blanket style of improvements across the range of IEMs. Also the fact that it sounds noticeably better at first try, but then somehow continues to improve the IEM listening experience the more you listen.

Thank-you once again MrWalkman for adding value to past purchases and taking them to a new previously unknown sonic territory!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/qdc-anole-v3.23655/reviews#item-review-21830

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-xba-n3.22428/reviews#item-review-24616

https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/

6FC2AA8B-AA0C-476A-BDA5-D0CC71530C19.png
A3785875-FBD2-4708-B989-08AD950A041C.png

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #1,236 of 8,232
B6DF3393-543E-4AC5-AD57-61EC9878333E.jpeg

Well I’ve found another interesting example of the MK2 bringing up the excitement of a mid-fi IEM. The qdc Anole V3 should have been one I guessed about a week ago? Being $600 and only a three BA Chinese import it doesn’t really go along with the Chinese value curve? The 10 BA qdc Anole VX has taken all the limelight from the humble V3. Yet if you were two hear both the VX and V3 together, it’s easy to understand they were made by the same company. Now I don’t own the VX but would guess the MK2 add to a 1A would be a major improvement in the same areas we all are noticing? And while these improvements are not as earth shattering and my results with the Sony XBA-N3 they are parallel in so many ways. In my collection both the N3 and V3 suffered from a slight lack of midrange separation and sparkle, until MrWalkman MK2 arrived on the conquest here. So it’s interesting as both are basically maybe the same quality regardless of price. The qdc is not double the sound quality of the N3 but the approach is very different hence the results reflect those differences. The V3 is a very good application of BA bass. What MK2 does improves the bass but just like the N3 the majority of improvement is due to clarity and imaging with a style sound-stage separation. Interestingly too, both IEMs are on the super small form factor and could be considered bass heavy. The N3 now may be slightly more exciting yet the V3 is doing it own different improvements. Still all this is very confusing as the V3 does so many things better than the N3, and I’m still so very happy to own it. In fact I have two pairs. :)

Both the Sony and qdc are good for opposing reasons, yet they both are excellent with bass. One is a DD for mids and bass along with a custom Sony super-tweeter. The qdc is simply three BAs. The V3 is rated high on Crin’s list with the Anole V3 getting a B and the Sony N3 getting a B+.

What was I talking about again?

Oh yes, the firmware here! Simply another tested example of MK2 raising the ability of mid-fi to a super special place. To me probably the biggest surprise is how this firmware has become a blanket style of improvements across the range of IEMs. Also the fact that it sounds noticeably better at first try, but then somehow continues to improve the IEM listening experience the more you listen.

Thank-you once again MrWalkman for adding value to past purchases and taking them to a new previously unknown sonic territory!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/qdc-anole-v3.23655/reviews#item-review-21830

Nice, I have some ATH-E70 that I should try. Didn't use them in a long time.

Oct 31, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #1,237 of 8,232
Nice, I have some ATH-E70 that I should try. Didn't use them in a long time.

I’m still needing to try MK2 with other stuff. I will spend maybe 4 days with the V3. What happens is you slowly migrate over from your past transducer. At first maybe we don’t even notice the true character of any new improvements as the brain does not recognize them as new?

Oct 31, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #1,238 of 8,232
I’m still needing to try MK2 with other stuff. I will spend maybe 4 days with the V3. What happens is you slowly migrate over from your past transducer. At first maybe we don’t even notice the true character of any new improvements as the brain does not recognize them as new?

I listened yesterday to the Z7M2, for about 6-7 hours continuously, and my ears didn't get fatigued, at all. Pretty impressive I would say!

Oct 31, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #1,239 of 8,232
I listened yesterday to the Z7M2, for about 6-7 hours continuously, and my ears didn't get fatigued, at all. Pretty impressive I would say!

Typically what I listen to is the antithesis of audiophile tracks? And while I do embrace the whole “volume-war” statement against sound quality, I like modern recording ideas?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #1,240 of 8,232
Typically what I listen to is the antithesis of audiophile tracks? And while I do embrace the whole “volume-war” statement against sound quality, I like modern recording ideas?

Well, I listened to multiple mixes like this one, from Youtube, using the USB DAC mode.

Sorry to disappoint any WAV 24 bit audiophiles :D

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #1,241 of 8,232
@MrWalkman I’m intrigued by this DMP MK2 firmware. Any guesses when it will be available for the Sony A55?

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #1,242 of 8,232
For everyone, please don't try to use model switchers or other things like that while having DMP-WM1 or MK2 installed. You may end up not being able to install StockRevert, and I don't really want to spend time providing support for things that are not actually related to DMP-WM1 or MK2.

Advice to all; simple as it maybe it's always good to note down your steps taken when installing the custom firmware as it's all too easy to loose track. I have done myself, having flashed the DAP countless times. If you know how things work it's not a big issue, equally if not it can be concerning and need the help of others to restore back to stock...

Q-6

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #1,243 of 8,232
Oct 31, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #1,244 of 8,232
I also found that I could listen to the MK2 firmware for hours without having listening fatigue. The treble is really spot on. Compared to WM1Z+ and MK1 you really notice the difference. The soundstage is not as wide as MK1, but it’s more balanced overall. I’m guessing that in order to create this 3D sound, @MrWalkman had to narrow down the soundstage to balance width with height and depth without introducing distortion. Great, great work !

Oct 31, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #1,245 of 8,232
The fact that the old methods of creating detail was added treble. Where there is truth in certain IEMs creating detail with a treble boost, and of course the 1Z getting slightly more detail than the 1A with a treble boost. But with MK2 there is nothing fatiguing yet there IS a resolution and detail increase. That is maybe the single most interesting thing, besides the imaging and soundstage adding detail. IMO
B24F06B8-786D-4218-921F-8539D02830C5.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back