Sony Walkman NWZ-X1000 (UK out NOW, US version out mid-June)
Jan 9, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #121 of 422
Wait, "active noise cancellation (independent of the headphone)" ???
From the video looks like it was still a NC22 earphone with the special 3.5mm plugin to the walkman, i doubt it will be independent?

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #122 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The way Sony treats the U.S. mp3 market, I would wager you guys will get the 32 gig first. Good thing there are places like Advmp3 that will ship here. I just hope sony releases the 16 and 32 gig at the same time.

Pfft, I'm laughing as a customer in Australia. All A & S products are not out here until the next gen is out in the US, not to mention they were way more expensive than the US.

Hell I got my RH1 at a price of AU$500.

And I already feel sorry for my wallet for this one is coming out... I am still trying to convince myself that I don't need it though, that I've already have enough DAPs...

Jan 9, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #124 of 422
Sorry about the ANC bit, Engadget obviously got it wrong and so did I. Will edit it out.

Record straight from TV sounds interesting, but I am going to guess that the Bravias will be the one doing the brunt work.

Jan 9, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #125 of 422
What I understand is you can use noise cancelling with any headphone. The walkman picks up sound waves from the environment and cancels them out with a signal into the headphones. That's the only logical explanation.

Independent of the headphone means separate from the headphone.

Jan 10, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #126 of 422
yooo amazing. really seems like I will get this one

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #128 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I understand is you can use noise cancelling with any headphone. The walkman picks up sound waves from the environment and cancels them out with a signal into the headphones. That's the only logical explanation.

How is that logical , you would have to have the Walkman on your head for it to work!

Jan 10, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #130 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may be workable if the Walkman has a built-in microphone to pick up external noise.

Maybe, but what if you have it in youre pocket?
The thing would be canceling all kinds of noise.

This is one shmexy DAP though. I hate to say it, but I'll probably buy it just because of its shmexiness.

Jan 10, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #131 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would imagine that having noise cancellation on would also negatively impact the battery charge too, but it sounds like a great feature. I would love to have that option, regardless of head/earphone used, when I go to China. Man those are long flights....

Jan 10, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #132 of 422
Pretty sure punnisher is right about the noise-cancelling. If you look at the side-view of the player, theres a switch to turn NC on/off. all of sony's NC earphones have in-line pods with switches/mics. It'd be pointless to have a switch on the player if the feature is dependant on using sony earphones. I do wonder how they prevent the player from picking up noises in your pocket/bag/whatever and spewing them out in your ear though :p

As for powering noise-cancelling earphones, if I correctly understand how they work, they aren't any harder to drive than other headphones. Rather, the batteries most earphones of this type require are used to power the mic and whatever chip calculates and produces the interference signal that cancels out ambient noises, sort of like having an amp between your source and your headphones (though, obviously, serving a different function). I might be wrong about this though.

Anyway, player looks nice, but summer/late spring release is a bummer
frown.gif
I do like the buttons and headphone jack on the same face, seems like it would make using it in your pocket easier. I'm dubious about the marbled look, but it doesn't matter that much to me. No slot for an expansion card is kinda lame too, but that's Sony for you. 32gb is more than enough space for my needs at the moment

Jan 10, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #133 of 422
I find that fake marble finish absolutely disgusting. How did they think of putting that on a digital audio player? The wifi is a handy feature but I think I would take the S9 over this simply on the basis of looks... lol.

Jan 10, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #134 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by S J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty sure punnisher is right about the noise-cancelling. If you look at the side-view of the player, theres a switch to turn NC on/off. all of sony's NC earphones have in-line pods with switches/mics. It'd be pointless to have a switch on the player if the feature is dependant on using sony earphones. I do wonder how they prevent the player from picking up noises in your pocket/bag/whatever and spewing them out in your ear though :p

As for powering noise-cancelling earphones, if I correctly understand how they work, they aren't any harder to drive than other headphones. Rather, the batteries most earphones of this type require are used to power the mic and whatever chip calculates and produces the interference signal that cancels out ambient noises, sort of like having an amp between your source and your headphones (though, obviously, serving a different function). I might be wrong about this though.

Anyway, player looks nice, but summer/late spring release is a bummer
frown.gif
I do like the buttons and headphone jack on the same face, seems like it would make using it in your pocket easier. I'm dubious about the marbled look, but it doesn't matter that much to me. No slot for an expansion card is kinda lame too, but that's Sony for you. 32gb is more than enough space for my needs at the moment

If it is like other Sony players with built in noise cancellation (there is no reason to think it isn't), then the mic is built into the included earphones, which send the signal to the player, where it is processed. So, it won't work with just any pair of earphones. I suppose other manufacturers could design earphones to work with this feature, but we're talking about a Sony player here, not an iPod, so it probably won't be popular enough to warrant that treatment.

Jan 11, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #135 of 422
Quote:

Originally Posted by Engadget
Just as rumored, Sony's indeed showing up at this year's CES with a touchscreen Walkman, the NWZ-X1000. Front and center is a beautiful 3-inch touchscreen OLED display, which means lower power consumption and a wider color gamut than a traditional LCD, and Sony also worked in WiFi and headphone-independent noise cancellation. The player will come in 16GB and 32GB flavors. Details are otherwise scant at this moment -- we're particularly interested in the software specific and price, which we're guessing Sony will be announcing at its press conference this evening -- but let's just say that faux granite shell is a definite mark in the "please, yes" category.

from http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/07/s...screen-player/
Hope so anyway :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back