Sony Sound (Is it better than Apple's?)
Apr 13, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #16 of 31
I have had countless, ahem, discussions with various folk, here and elsewhere, on whether or not the X1060 is the single best DAP ever to grace God's earth. Yes, I owned one. Yes, I loved it. Yes, it was better than any of my iDevices, better than any Samsung or Cowon or iRiver product I owned. I loved its warmth and I loved its power.

All of that means absolutely nothing to anyone else - we repeatedly make the assumption that others are listening to our music with our ears.

I am very happy with my 6G Nano, but I'd like to garotte the clown at Apple who decided on everything apart from the sonics. This sound on a 240GB Classic and Apple would have my repeat business - as it is, I will continue to play the field.

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #17 of 31

Quote:
No, they aren't the same when it comes to the EU volume cap. The Japanese model is much better at driving more power hungry cans and IEM's, the EU model's volume is pathetically low.

The fact that Japanese models are not volume capped does not mean they have more power to drive phones, it only drives them louder.

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #20 of 31

Quote:
They are the same sonically (except for volume cap on european models), but in Japan there is 64GB NW-A847, and european models AFAIK go only as high as 32GB.

Funny, buy this looks like a 64gb Sony NWZ-A847 to me: 
http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/MP3_Players.1/Sony.76/NWZ-A847B.CEW/Sony_NWZ-A847_64GB_WALKMAN_MP3_Player.4667.html

Quote:
The fact that Japanese models are not volume capped does not mean they have more power to drive phones, it only drives them louder.

There is no difference in what I said to your "reiteration". It drives them louder,...and,.....

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #21 of 31
"The eagle has landed" :p

It has absolutly no battery in it so I have to wait :/

I did try the stock IEM and THEY SUCK! OMG what the fuuuuuuuuuu is this?

I plug them in my computer and the sound was a dissaster...I hope they'r better whit the Sony because in the computer and in the iPod they SUCK!

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #24 of 31

Quote:
I have a HJE900 :p...

I'm also looking for some full-size cans... Just don't know witch one should I buy :/ (also, I don't have any money right now :p)

I had those myself, and the high's are too shrill for my liking.

Apr 16, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #25 of 31
The 1st gen Touch was meant to be the worst sounding of the touches. I've not heard one.

I have a 2G one and it has good sound, but its very neutral compared to my Sony A818. Different rather than better/worse. Its suits classical more than rock, the sony rock more than classic but overall I prefer the sony. I have a clip+ to, and I think I prefer the Sony. 

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #26 of 31
I enjoy the sound from my Sony X1061 and while I have some gripes about my Sony, which actually have grown over time, none have to do with sound quality really.

Gripes:

I hate the fact that the player resets the libray after connecting to add songs (PC/W7).
Occasionally the library will reset if just sitting idle for a long period. Instead of keeping memory of the last song you played and your browsing settings (genre, artist, folder, etc...), it resets to all songs and starts with the first song.

I hate the fact that the file transfers are ridiculously slow. I mean it's a 32GB player, shouldn't be this slow.

I hate that there is no option for most recent music added (use to have it on my older Sony model) or on-the-fly playlists (32GBs worth of music yes?).

I hate that there is no flac/lossless or gapless playback and a few other quirks (i.e. creation of playlists, m3u not recognized..).

I really doubt I will buy Sony again simply because the knuckleheads over there can actually do something about some of these issues but they choose to ignore their customers and don't release firmware often. We did get a firmware up date which was supposed to improve (don't know how much you can or who even uses it) the included crappy browser, that's it. I mean someone thought it was a good idea to spend time trying to spice up a lousy browser instead of more solid aspects of the player, knuckleheads like I said.

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #27 of 31
I've tried the iPod touch 1G, 2G, 4G as well as a number of Sony A series and S series. I think the iPods deserve a bit more credit than they get around these circles, but I enjoyed the Sony DAPs more. For my tastes the Sony X1060 is the best I heard. It's not that it's technically better than the other DAPs, but more so it has a beautiful and warm presentation with an uncanny sense of coherency with the music that keeps me thoroughly engaged. I must say that that the 4th gen Ipod touch with the EQu app sounds really good as well.

Apr 19, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #28 of 31
After some hours of listening the Sony there is a question that pops in my mind... How loud you guys listen your music?? I found the NWZ at least as loud as my 1st gen iPod Touch, if not more!!!

They drive my Panas HJE-900 beautifully. The sound as more impact and more detail! I'm really loving de DAP!

I will post more as time goes by

Jul 4, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #29 of 31
Hey Guys .

Since i got my Sony X1051 a week ago i have been praising it in several posts here , but one thing that struck me , all of you say that it has a Volume Limiter ? ...... mine can go to 30 wich is quite frankly way past my listening treshold ....i listen at 10 in quiet places and 15 on the bus or walking ,........only time i played it on anything past 20 was when i lend it to my pal Marco at Work and i made the Noob mistake of not checking the volume at wich he had been listening , when i put my headphones on a push play it was at 24 ......i immediately took my RE0 out and i had Tinnitus for about an hour .........if 30 is not the Max Volume then what is ?, like i said ...... 15 is more than enough and this  is listening to the RE0 wich is not that easy of an ieam to drive to ear splitting levels, Oh and another thing , i have seen a lot of Headfiers saying that it has no Gapless playback ......but mine does , i am listening to Abbey Road as i type this and as you know no Gapless playback ruins this album, but i just listened to the whole b side meddley and then the Golden Slumbers Meddley and everything transitioned smoothly ....... Maybe because i bought mine in Mexico it is possible that it does not have the volume restriction of the Us one ?

Jul 4, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #30 of 31

Quote:
Hey Guys .

Since i got my Sony X1051 a week ago i have been praising it in several posts here , but one thing that struck me , all of you say that it has a Volume Limiter ? ...... mine can go to 30 wich is quite frankly way past my listening treshold ....i listen at 10 in quiet places and 15 on the bus or walking ,........only time i played it on anything past 20 was when i lend it to my pal Marco at Work and i made the Noob mistake of not checking the volume at wich he had been listening , when i put my headphones on a push play it was at 24 ......i immediately took my RE0 out and i had Tinnitus for about an hour .........if 30 is not the Max Volume then what is ?, like i said ...... 15 is more than enough and this  is listening to the RE0 wich is not that easy of an ieam to drive to ear splitting levels.

Only the European version has a volume limiter, FWIR.  The Japanese version, which would also likely be the North American version, doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back