Sony SA5000 deal $200
Nov 13, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #136 of 141

Quote:
I just wrote this because it came to my mind after reading Kiteki's last post about having a proper amp.

The cheapest way is probably a Matrix M-Stage, a Schiit Asgard, or some other enty-level home amps. They start around $250, but can usually be had for significantly less in the amplification for sale part of this forum. The Ibasso Toucan is a large portable amp that is more or less comparable to these amps, but it is balanced. It is $229, but you have to reterminate the Sonys and then buy an adaptor to connect that plug with the Toucan's. The option below is the whole hog and is supposed to sound amazing.

HiFlight has the SA5000s and says they sound really good with great bass and imaging when they are run balanced through the Ibasso Toucan and Boomslang amp/DAC balanced combo. He disagrees with the commonly acknowledged "fact" that they don't have great bass, his view is that they really need a few hundred hours for the bass to develop fully. I have not heard his combo, so take this info with a grain of salt; however, HiFlight is a trusted Head-fier who helps many other Head-fiers. This whole combo certainly would not qualify as cheap, as the Toucan (amp) is $229, the Boomslang (the DAC) $219, and the interconnect between them is $39. That is completely ignoring the source (you need something with a digital out like a CD player or an Iriver H120/140 or the new QLS QA350 to utilize the DAC in the combo), the interconnect between that source and the Boomslang and the cost of reterminating the SA5000s to balanced (you could do it yourself). Oh, and if you terminate the headphones into a balanced four pin XLR plug (probably the cheapest and easiest), you need an adaptor in order to connect that to the Toucan's 6-pin Hirose plug, an other $39 at Ibasso.com. 

That totals about $600, most likely a little more. I didn't write this to discourage anyone from going for this, I just write it to present an option that is good quality and actually transportable (think park, deserted library, hotel room, around the house, not airplane or bus becuae the phones are open.) I was going to try to build up to this combo, but because my order of the Sonys was cancelled twice by two different retailers, I think I am going to go a different direction now. I still think the Ibasso combo is cool, but that isn't really the point of this thread. I hope this helps anyone who was wondering about amping these phones.

The SA5000 need recabling not retermination in order to run balanced,they only have a three core cable.

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #137 of 141

Quote:
Quote:
Different laptops have different onboard soundcards. I think it is tragic to listen to the SA5000 from average mp3 players or laptops, you ain't utilizing it anywhere near its full potential. Sure you will get more detail than with less capable headphones, but chances are the overall listening experience will not be particularly enjoyable.

Considering all i have right now is the XB700s, im sure they'll sound better...
Would a portable amp improve its quality by any chance? 

What do you think of the Z1000 compared to this? Pros/Cons?

I think SA5000 is easy to drive, and depend more on dac sound signature for whether or not they are enjoyable. Some mp3 players, and maybe a few laptops, have dac sound signatures that may go well with the SA5000. Even then, if you are someone who likes fullness in music, the SA5000 may not deliver except from particularly full, smooth, musical sounding dacs and amps.

Z1000 is new and there are few impressions. Skylab said the highs were not to his liking when he auditioned them, so I wonder if other people would like the Z1000.

Nov 14, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #138 of 141
I always seem to find cold headphones made by sony. Their in-ears seem to be always screeching, but i got used to it after a while.
The SA really do look better...damn thats appealing. But i think i would like the Z1000 more due to sound signature. And that SA is no where near portable haha. People around you can hear everything you're listening to?

Nov 14, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #139 of 141
Sony doesn't want people to use the SA5000 with an iPod so they didn't include a 3.5mm adaptor.  Almost all their headphones has one except the SA5000.

Nov 14, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #140 of 141
All the shops that are not Sony style gives you an adapter on purchase in hong kong haha..
Sony's products always appeal to me

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #141 of 141
The SA5000 sounds really good with my PS Audio GCHA amp.  Smooth highs and sweet mids, but did not lose the speed.  Overall a very nice balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back