Sony SA 5000 vs Denon D2000 Electronic music
Mar 3, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:
The D2000s have a lot of bass but it's muddy and not very detailed, okay for DnB and hip hop, less so for vocals and a clean mid range.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. My D2000s do not sound muddy at all. In fact, I wouldn't even say they have a lot of bass. They definitely have more than what one might consider completely neutral, but I think they sound fairly balanced. Granted, I've only used them from my S:Flo 2 and X-FI HD USB external sound card. I could see them being muddy from a lower quality, unamped source. 

Quote:
I know a lot of you have very negative views of beats but would a pair of pros still be out done by the denons? I know someone selling a new pair they dont want for 300 so that may be a possibility

Yes, the D2000s will definitely be better than the Pros (yes, I have heard them).

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:
I'm going to have to disagree with you. My D2000s do not sound muddy at all. In fact, I wouldn't even say they have a lot of bass. They definitely have more than what one might consider completely neutral, but I think they sound fairly balanced. Granted, I've only used them from my S:Flo 2 and X-FI HD USB external sound card. I could see them being muddy from a lower quality, unamped source. 

Lower quality than an MP3 player or an external soundcard? ...It sounds to me like you're not hearing their full potential and very likely if you compare these to other headphones from the same source how could you possibly know? I've heard the D2000s on an av-710, e-mu 0404, Meier Headfive all of which are a bad match for this transparent headphone, they didn't start to open up until paired with a Singlepower PPX3 Slam Tube amp... even then I've heard better for the money.

I do agree however the D2000s will be much better than the beats, any $30+ headphone likely will also.

Mar 3, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #18 of 32
At 300 dollars though they dont seem like to bad of a buy. At 350 for a pair of d2000 it seems like itd almost be better to get a pair of d 5000 which are 425. Is this a reasonable assumption? All of these would be unamped just a reminder.

Mar 3, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #19 of 32
Well prices fluctuate, it's been a couple years but I paid around $200 new for the D2000s. If you're wanting Beats or Denons because they look stylish go for it, you won't be happy otherwise. If you want sound-quality stay well away from the beats, I can honestly say I wouldn't buy them for $50 no exaggeration.

No ones asked you but what is your budget and what about your source?

If you don't want to invest in an amp then Ultrasone HFI-780 (maybe 580) that I already mentioned are likely the best unamped headphone for electronica... if you want a more bass-driven sound Sony XB500 will give you that at the expense of some details. If you want to go all out and get a decent amp there are much better options, you are then of course going from a $180 headphone to a $500+ system... the sound however is more than worth it.

Mar 3, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #20 of 32
I highly recommend the ultrasone pro 900, they are just perfect for EDM. Fits all genres you are interested in.

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:
I know a lot of you have very negative views of beats but would a pair of pros still be out done by the denons? I know someone selling a new pair they dont want for 300 so that may be a possibility

Probably, but even if they were only even, you can find the D2000s for around $200 new/like new. That's around what I paid for mine, and probably around what I'll try and sell them for if I'm unable to return them once the D7000s show up.

If I were you I'd put the rest of the money towards a better source, I know you are saying you aren't going to be using an Amp, but I'm not entirely sure why you wouldn't especially if you are using them for music production. An amp will make just as big, if not a bigger difference than the headphones will.

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #22 of 32
I'd rather spend around $300 but it's frustrating that there are these fluctuations because when I first was comparing the Sony's to the Denons I saw people had gotten both for about 200 US but both of them are now in the mid 300's. Mostly I'll be listening on an ipod or a macbook pro from 2010 i think the sound card it came with is called an intel high definition audio. My knowledge of audio is pretty much non existent. I just started using ableton to produce music this year and dance/electronic music took on a whole new meaning when I listened to it. That's what caused me to look for a better pair of headphones then I currently have (Steel Series). I suppose with current prices the ultrasones may be my best bet but after all the rave reviews for the D2000 they seemed like the best option.

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #23 of 32
The reason being i don't want to invest in an amp is I'd rather spend that money on plugins/gear that i have my eye on. I'm sure eventually the idea of an amp would grow on me but before i really started researching i had no idea people used amps for headphones nor that a pair of 300 dollar headphones wasn't close to expensive when compared to what else is out there. 

Mar 3, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:
Mostly I'll be listening on an ipod or a macbook pro from 2010 i think the sound card it came with is called an intel high definition audio.

Well the Intel 'high definition' audio is your basic computer sound card, a standalone $20 soundcard from newegg would sound better than this. What I would highly recommend is buying a DAC/amp combo which is basically a soundcard that sits on your desk and amplifies the signal, even something as cheap as the Behringer UCA202 ($28) would be an improvement.

Mar 3, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #25 of 32
I luv ma D2K's.

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #26 of 32
i would consider getting some like that i just didn't really want to invest to much in an amp without any knowledge. Do prices rise and fall a lot? Would it be worth waiting a little before trying to get the d-2000's?

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #27 of 32
D2000 prices seem to be especially volatile.  I bought mine last fall from Amazon for $242.  Two weeks later they were down to $193.  They've since jumped back up in price, but it might give you an idea of what these can go for.  I grabbed a plugin called "camel camel camel" (silly name I know, but they also have a website you can use without installing a plugin) that graphs the peaks and troughs of every product listed on Amazon.  It can give you some perspective on past and current pricing that will help you better gauge when it's time to buy.

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #29 of 32
D2k definitely....have one, unamped - sounds great ... however, am receiving my amp tomorrow, Shanling PH100. Initially was going to go unamped...then decided on a $50-100 budget for an amp, and a month or so after spent $200+ on the Shanling. Will see what the amp-buzz is all about tomorrow, as that's when the amp arrives :)

As far as the headphones, I recommend you keep an eye open in the for sale section ... I snapped up a super mint pair (less than 10 hours use) for around $240 shipped to Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back