Sony SA-1000, good starter phone?
Nov 19, 2010 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sonylover

New Head-Fier
I am new to this site.  I currently own three headphones.  The Sony MDR-SA 1000, Audio Technica AD 700, and the Grado SR-125.
I like the Grado the least, mostly due to comfort, and the immediate sound-stage.  The Sony is by far the most detailed, with the best dynamic range of the group.  Also very comfortable, and have a nice overall sound-stage.  The only real complaint is that the mid-range can be a little bit recessed sometimes, though I believe that is partly due to bad recordings.  The mid-range on the SA-1000 can be small, decent, or HUGE!!  All is depending on the recording, like on Bob Dylan's song "Boots of Spanish Leather" sound great for example.
The Audio Technica's are real nice, but the bass can be a little lacking, and the treble lacking detail and "sizzle".  They are also a little slow, but offer excellent decay.  Any info would be appreciated. 

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 7
ATH M50s are a pair of headphones made by Audio Technica :D

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 7
I was thinking about upgrading to a better pair of full sized open backed headphones in a few months, I've mostly narrowed down my choices to two headphones.  The Audio Technica AD-900, and the Beyerdynamic Dt-880 250ohm version.  They are about the same price, but I believe the Ad-900 has a slightly bigger midrange, with a larger soundstage, but a little less bass.  The Dt-880 is supposed to be a little more accurate, but needs an amp, which I do not have, and do not really plan on getting.  

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Then you should get the AD900s then :D

Have u considered upgrading to the SA-3000? Or even the SA-5000? (it has been pretty cheap lately)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back