Sony Qualia-017 MD Player $1900 listed!!
May 20, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #31 of 57
I propose the hypothesis that we're all passing this off as ridiculous simply because we can't afford it, and that even if it were only 20-30% dearer than the E10, we'll still pass it off as ridiculous ("it should be da same price! hmph! pfft! meh! blegh!")
etysmile.gif
The casing is brass by the way, not magnesium; the remote is brass-plated.

May 20, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #33 of 57
i've owned 3 md players, lost one, dropped one and it broke, and the other one i sold... 1900 spells bad news for me

May 20, 2004 at 11:51 AM Post #34 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
A fool and his money...
biggrin.gif

who are you refering to? you don't know leon. *looks at the date you joined.

figures!
rolleyes.gif

May 20, 2004 at 12:25 PM Post #35 of 57
methinks he has been replying to '$1900 for an MD player? must be a fool', not calling Leon a fool! Although i do wish he didn't rip the entire button off the remote when he removed the group button [you know what i mean leon
tongue.gif
].

Disappeared for a while eh what!

May 20, 2004 at 1:23 PM Post #36 of 57
Sorry, didn't mean to imply Leon or anyone specific. I was just peeved at the price for a tin-plated suckermobile. Maybe their subsequent (I'm being optimistic) Hi-MD players will have more substance than flash. Cheers
600smile.gif

May 20, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #37 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
What is Sony thinking
confused.gif

That rich people like expensive things!

Have you not seen some of the stupid **** rich people buy? Little Bow Wow spends more on platnium chains. Which have little to no use at all.

Also, sony doesn't have warehouses full of these things lying around. They are made to order.

May 20, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #38 of 57
Relax Tina, r-e-l-a-x...
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombietycho
Have you not seen some of the stupid **** rich people buy?

Like the Maybach... like, omg reclining rear seats! Nevermind that the Japanese have been doing it for at least 15 years!
tongue.gif

May 21, 2004 at 6:25 AM Post #39 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
Sorry, didn't mean to imply Leon or anyone specific. I was just peeved at the price for a tin-plated suckermobile. Maybe their subsequent (I'm being optimistic) Hi-MD players will have more substance than flash. Cheers
600smile.gif

If you like you can have a gold or silver plated suckermobile for a few thousand yen extra! And for another few thousand extra you can have your name engraved into it. A named suckermobile! Perhaps you could build a custom holder for the Rolls like that dude and his ipod.

May 22, 2004 at 9:20 AM Post #40 of 57
wow. considering none of you have actually heard/seen/felt it, you all sure do have a hell of a lot of opinions on how to 'improve' it.
rolleyes.gif

May 22, 2004 at 9:57 AM Post #41 of 57
even if it was the best-sounding MD deck ever, it still wouldn't be worth more than $1700. I'm going to wait till the price falls to around $1600 before I get one.

May 23, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #42 of 57
Face it, this Qualia stuff isn't for mere mortals. It's about high style and exclusivity. Both of which, regardless of product, are incredibly expensive. It's about Yachts, Lear jets, Ferraris, Gucci, etc. The stuff of which the fabulously wealthy dabble in and can easily afford. "High End" audio has the same offerings: Audio Note, Air Tight, Krell, whatever. In the end, does a diamond encrusted Rolex keep better time than a cheap Timex digtal watch? Nope. But I don't see Rolex going out of business anytime soon.

This is "caviar for the generals".

May 23, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #43 of 57
MD can never sound good. To get sound on the minidisc, the music has to go through ATRAC compression, so immediately it loses its initial sound quality. Many people liken ATRAC compression to 256kbps MP3 compression. It's pretty unacceptable for audiophiles.

May 23, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #44 of 57
Yeah, like D555 siad, this is for the CEO's and such that want something to brag about and show off. It is more a lifestyle device than an audio device.

The design looks very very nice, I'll give it that much.

May 23, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by br--
MD can never sound good. To get sound on the minidisc, the music has to go through ATRAC compression, so immediately it loses its initial sound quality.

Reads gear list in your sig: Quote:

Portable: 40GB iPod -> Etymotic ER4S

rolleyes.gif
Quote:

Many people liken ATRAC compression to 256kbps MP3 compression. It's pretty unacceptable for audiophiles.

I find the best ATRAC rips comparable to the best mp3 rips. Not worth arguing about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back