Sony Qualia-017 MD Player $1900 listed!!
May 23, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #46 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by br--
MD can never sound good. To get sound on the minidisc, the music has to go through ATRAC compression, so immediately it loses its initial sound quality. Many people liken ATRAC compression to 256kbps MP3 compression. It's pretty unacceptable for audiophiles.

You've obviously never used or heard an ES deck with a good sound system, you'd be amazed. btw. My E50 sounds awesome...just smooth sound...

May 23, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #47 of 57
FYI...

The body of the 017 is machined from billet and the 'chrome bits' is actually palladium plating.

The remote and the phones incorporate machined (and presumably forged from the looks of that remote) aluminium and brass.

It's hand-polished and hand-assembled by one 'master'.

May 23, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #48 of 57
For those endowed with an unlimited amount of money, who's going to be the first one to get this sweet thing? I know someone must be thinking about it.......

May 23, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #49 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Well I figure that special service I get in the Qualia store won't last once I leave the store. $900 could get you one hell of a night though
biggrin.gif

If I won the lotto I'd be taking a special tour of Japan along with a shopping spree.

And you're all invited.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

May 23, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #50 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbdoah
Wrong! SBG was referring to players, not recorders. Indeed, several recorders had dedicated line outs, 1/2/30/35/50/37/etc. The only player to feature a dedicated line out was the first player, the 2P, which was both optical and line.

OK.But don t you think that for ~2000$ it should have a line out?I mean so much $$ for smth that has only a mini headout...what a waste.

May 23, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #51 of 57
I have a feeling that if I even had enough money to shell $1900 on a portable player, that it would fall to the ground and break into a million pieces in about 5 minutes. "Oopsy, MD go boom!" I'll stick with my cheap Discmans.

May 23, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #52 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by mecano
OK.But don t you think that for ~2000$ it should have a line out?I mean so much $$ for smth that has only a mini headout...what a waste.

Naw. Beautiful players like that should not be marred by attaching an ugly external amp & cable to it. Ruins the whole look, and slickness factor.

It should definitely have a powerful, clean headphone-out though. And come with a pair of B&O A8's
wink.gif

May 24, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #54 of 57
You should see my poor Aiwa XP-EV501R. I've covered the play and track forward buttons so long that the silver paint is almost completely rubbed off. Not to mention it's been dropped more times than I can count.

May 24, 2004 at 3:42 AM Post #55 of 57
From being a silversmith, I've considered taking castings of the body pieces of my HD-DAPs and making polished silver replacement pieces. I think an all-silver Karma or iPod would be hot. Not cheap though, considering the amount of time it would take each piece. but it may be worth the effort if the price was right. i should probably make prototypes first and see what people think...

May 25, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #56 of 57
This is the same crap as that multi-thousand dollar Vertu cellphone where inside is just another 5 bucks Nokia but outside the shell is some exotic material... This so called Qualia Walkman is just a MZ-E10 in some exotic skin... Sound wise it's probably the same...

See this is different from buying an NSX, I mean with that you get what you pay for (aluminum body and titanium rods with superb handling and performance compare to the Civic) but I don't see any performance gains here with the 2 grand Walkman...

When I was in Greece, you can pickup nicely machined and hand polished artistic brass paperweights for about 1 buck USD a piece...
600smile.gif

May 25, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #57 of 57
Well Krayzie,
The auto industry has proven - especially in North America - that people will pay for "glorified" cars even if they are merely, blatantly "glorified." Maybe not a Civic/NSX comparison, but how about the Civic versus the Integra/RSX, or the US Accord versus the Rest-of-world Accord (TSX)? There are no real performance differences because the same platform can probably be tuned to give very similar performances - definitely not a day-and-night difference :p

That's the magic of buying luxury goods - it's a high of some sort.

I don't believe for once that some of these car owners really don't know they're just buying mass-produced Japanese cars, but 20 years ago Japanese makes found out if they were to sell these cars under their original brands, it'd be as difficult for the public to accept as an upmarket Hyundai or Kia is today. So it's not Sony who's crap, it's human nature that's crap
eggosmile.gif

And again, to the best of my knowledge, the NSX body is just a steel body design made out in aluminium.. far inferior to say, Audi's ASF construction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back