Sony Qualia 010 Owner's Club
Jul 5, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #31 of 172
Quote:
My Qualias are a size small and I use them on the smallest setting.  Therefore, according to Sony, I have the world's smallest head.

Maybe Sony overestimated the size of non-Japanese heads?

Mine came with a medium-size, which is still a bit too big on the smallest setting. I'd love to see someone who needs the large size. Must have gigantism.

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #32 of 172
Quote:

There was never a better use of cranioplasty than for accommodating Qualias.

My actual knowledge of plastic surgery is limited to two burn victim friends' experiences and an episode of Nip/Tuck.  Cranioplasty it is.  What's the surgery called that enables you to lick your elbow?  I've been simultaneously training for a marathon and to lick my own elbow, and frankly the marathon is way easier.    

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #33 of 172
Quote:
What's the surgery called that enables you to lick your elbow?

Arm amputation.

biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #35 of 172
Quote:
I'll definitely look into replacement headbands from Sony. May take some time and digging, but I'll let you guys know if I have success.

Good luck.  The headband should still be available from Sony.  I also have a medium size headband but the small size fits me perfectly.  Speaking of it, the Qualia scales quite significantly under balanced amplification.  I have great success with Justin's GSX amp.

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #37 of 172
Quote:

The guy selling the one on the FS forums is basically taking offers, and then using those offers to leverage higher offers out of other interested parties.  I guess that's a good strategy if you're looking to make the most profit possible, but it seems a gesture devoid of any good intentions for Head-Fi, and the constituents encompassed therein.  "Best Offer" is also a convenient loophole by which sellers can circumvent the whole "no sales for profit on the HF FS forums" TOS decree, especially on big-ticket items.  I'm sure that guy's going to make a killing.

That said, yes, it was an incredibly fortuitous acquisition!  I picked the pair up on A'goN for little over half the asking price on the FS forum pair.  The tradeoff is that it came without silk cloth, stand or documentation - in other words, a collector may be a bit ambivalent towards purchasing them with these accessories missing.  But I'm no collector.  The plus side is that it's the most pristine pair I've seen, and it came with a small headband, meaning I don't need to drop ~$700 for a new one.  It's got a few smalls scuffs on the rubber strips protecting the carbon fiber headband, but there is no paint loss on the hinges, such as the pair currently available on the forums appear to display.  The seller was local to me, and was the original owner.  So I picked them up in person today and paid in cashier's check, obviating the need for shipping and PayPal fees.  In short, saying I'm lucky is a huge understatement.

I'm glad to have the opportunity to own these headphones.  Sure, they're short a few accessories, but that doesn't make them sound any worse.

Sorry, I don't mean to derail this thread but I have to defend myself, as a long standing member of Head-Fi for over 7 years.  For what reason do you think I'm doing this to make a profit?  Could you let me know exactly how much I paid for them, and where, because I'm dying to find out?

If you have something to say to me, say it to me directly and don't talk about me behind my back.  You made a decent offer on my headphones a few hours after I posted my ad -- some other people then made higher offers after you and I let you know of this politely.  I did not intend to try to "leverage higher offers" out of you -- I just informed you out of general courtesy.  I can forward you the timestamped PMs of the other offers I've received if you want.

Anyways, here's our PM exchanges just so that everyone can see /my/ side of the story:

--snip--

After that -- not a single peep from you.  That's not very nice.

--snip--

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #38 of 172
Quote:
The going rate is about $4800 for a mint Qualia 010 here, which is what I paid for mine (didn't come with the box, silk, or papers... just the headphones and stand and a second pair of different colored pads). I'd say $5000-5500 would be right for a complete set, blemish free, and under 20 hours or use. $5800 is pushing it though, and higher still is getting into flipper territory.

Obviously with something limited to only 250 examples we're talking one of the highest levels of rarity (along with the HE90, SR-Omega, HeAudio, PS-1, LCD-1, etc.). So someone is probably going to give in and pay that price, and that sets an unfortunate precedent for future Qualia sales. Price just goes up, up, up.

It's not quite the gamble that buying the R10 is, as there's less variation and age-related issues with the Qualia. However it's still a very fragile headphone and it's still Sony we're talking about, so no replaceable parts. Good luck finding another headband for instance...

Right.  I recall you sent me a PM a few minutes after I posted my initial ad with some tips on what price I should list it at, which I was really grateful for since I really had no idea what they're worth nowadays (please let me know if you want me to remove this, I don't mean to offend):

MuppetFace
Jun 28, 2012 at 12:54 am

Very nice set! I already own a Qualia myself, but I wanted to drop you a line to give you an idea of what to expect in terms of price offers. $4800 is what the last two Qualias to show up on the forums went for (including the one I bought). However yours is the newest looking one I think I've ever seen, and given that you have the box too, I'd probably be firm on $5000-$5500 and wouldn't go any lower if I were you.

I took your advice so I entertained offers until I hit $5500, and told all of my interested parties that I'd accept the first $5500 I get.  None of these parties followed through so I put up an OBO price of $5800 for my pair, with the intention of someone haggling a bit to drop it down to $5500 -- the magic number you told me :)

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #39 of 172
Quote:
As an aside, is it not kind of an assholeish move to send me an offer with no initial intention of buying, since you seem to already own a pair?  I guess you /could/ have "every intention" of using both headphones but I find that a little hard to believe.  I might be mistaken though, and I guess you might've gotten your Qualias in the short time between sending your initial offer and now.

Not taking sides in this, but I just wanted to point out that he mentioned picking up his pair yesterday. So I'm assuming he purchased it after his initial offer to you. Which is definitely quite a fortuitous occurrence. Though in my experience, "when it rains it pours." I've gone from not being able to find an SR-Omega to having three leads on a set in just a weeks time.

Either way, good luck with your sale! Why am I not surprised it's probably going to someone in Hong Kong? LOL. Crazy collector's market there for this stuff.

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #40 of 172
Quote:

Not taking sides in this, but I just wanted to point out that he mentioned picking up his pair yesterday. So I'm assuming he purchased it after his initial offer to you. Which is definitely quite a fortuitous occurrence. Though in my experience, "when it rains it pours." I've gone from not being able to find an SR-Omega to having three leads on a set in just a weeks time.

Either way, good luck with your sale! Why am I not surprised it's probably going to someone in Hong Kong? LOL. Crazy collector's market there for this stuff.

My bad.  Still, it's not in particularly good form to make such accusations after scoring a great deal on another pair.  I see Head-Fi's gotten a lot more hostile while I've been inactive!

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #41 of 172
I would agree. I think the sense of community here isn't quite what it used to be, but then there has been quite an increase in scams, shilling, and flipping on the forums lately, so I think everyone is probably just on edge.

I'm guessing he just misinterpreted your intentions when he saw the new price of $2800 after you told him you were going with an offer for $2500. Unfortunately these things are more prone to happening online when you can't do business face to face. You both seem like nice, reasonable people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back