Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp
Aug 15, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #931 of 1,922
If You decide that K712 + PHA3 is going to stay with You for "longer" period of time, then yes, it's worth it and balanced is definitely better. I do it myself (conversion), but is should not be expensive to add socked to headphones or to change plugs on cable (if thats the case).

Aug 15, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #932 of 1,922
  If You decide that K712 + PHA3 is going to stay with You for "longer" period of time, then yes, it's worth it and balanced is definitely better. I do it myself (conversion), but is should not be expensive to add socked to headphones or to change plugs on cable (if thats the case).

Thanks @andi16!  I remember there was a link I saved that showed the conversion.  Guess it's time I started sourcing the plugs and wires.....and soldering iron.........and solder.........etc etc etc :)

Aug 17, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #933 of 1,922
  Any idea if the PHA-3 works with Linux? I read that using it with Windows requires you to install a driver + a proprietary software for playing Hi-Res files, however with Mac you don't. Linux should be more similar to Mac as both are Unix-based. Or does a connection via USB Audio not work at all together with a Linux PC?

Yes, it work perfect on Linux. However you have to be a bit advanced user to make it working. 
This is final result after around 3 days struggle with my ubuntu :)
pha-3.jpg

Aug 18, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #934 of 1,922
The PHA3 + MDR7 + Balanced Kimber Kables = like you're in a live venue.  Simply uh-mazing.  I love this combo

Aug 19, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #935 of 1,922
  Yes, it work perfect on Linux. However you have to be a bit advanced user to make it working. 
This is final result after around 3 days struggle with my ubuntu :)
pha-3.jpg

Congratulations!
I'm on debian myself, pha3 worked "out of the box", but I've never manage to put it in "Hi-Fs" or "DSD" modes.
Can You post any kind of instructions of how to achieve this?

Aug 19, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #936 of 1,922
Hello !, I just got my new PHA-3AC and I have a question. Trying to play music from iPhone by USB I can not control the volume from the iPhone which is correct. Through the player Sony Hi-Res Audio Player the same thing happens and I control the volume from the PHA-3AC, that's right.

But ... I do not get iTunes to transfer data directly to PHA-3AC to decode it because I have volume control from iTunes and from Windows. In iTunes I have "direct sound" but it doesn't seems to work. Any suggestions settings iTunes or driver for windows?

Thanks a lot!!

Aug 19, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #937 of 1,922

Congratulations!
I'm on debian myself, pha3 worked "out of the box", but I've never manage to put it in "Hi-Fs" or "DSD" modes.
Can You post any kind of instructions of how to achieve this?

As i  said - is a bit tricky. Ubuntu recognize pha3 as USB sound card right away, but to play hi-res you need two things:

1. To install MPD http://www.musicpd.org/

2. Since MPD is working like a server (kind of), you will have to install local player Cantata or (i personally prefer second one)  Gnome Music Player.

Now... the most important part - 
YOU HAVE TO COMPILE MPD FROM SOURCE CODE

Why? Because if you use like me in the beginning the easiest  way - debian package - version there is too old and doesn't play DSD. It will play for you only hi-res mode, but not DSD. 
If you wish to play DSD files you have to compile from source.
It is kind of hard because of the too many dependencies that MPD has.
It took me a lot of time to solve them.
I am pasting you the one I used for my ubuntu , lucky for you i still keep them inside history..

Code:
 sudo apt-get install g++ libmad0-dev libmpg123-dev libid3tag0-dev libflac-dev libvorbis-dev libopus-dev libadplug-dev libaudiofile-dev libsndfile1-dev libfaad-dev libfluidsynth-dev libgme-dev libmikmod2-dev libmodplug-dev libmpcdec-dev libwavpack-dev libwildmidi-dev libsidplay2-dev libsidutils-dev libresid-builder-dev libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libmp3lame-dev libsamplerate0-dev libsoxr-dev libbz2-dev libcdio-paranoia-dev libiso9660-dev libmms-dev libzzip-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libyajl-dev libexpat-dev libasound2-dev libao-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libopenal-dev libpulse-dev libroar-dev libshout3-dev libmpdclient-dev libnfs-dev libsmbclient-dev libupnp-dev libavahi-client-dev libsqlite3-dev libsystemd-daemon-dev libwrap0-dev libcppunit-dev xmlto libboost-dev libicu-dev

Then you can download source file, untar it and compile it.

I apologize for my English... it is not my strongest part :)

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #939 of 1,922
  It is amazing... especially if you are listening  at high quality DSD record..

I'm sure it is.  Everybody talks about how good DSD is.  Maybe later down the line I'll look into it and try it out

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #941 of 1,922
After testing the PHA-3AC since yesterday I've noticed that no step to hear music about 2 hours. I light it up and the green LED is lit, the time starts to flash (if I have connected the power connection to the plug through the adapter provided by Sony) and finally the unit just fading as if he had finished the battery but the version "AC ".

The unit is relatively hot, it's like going off for security, can it be? Would you have gone? Turn it off 2 minutes, switch it on and steady green again. I'm using a MDR-Z7 with balanced cable and DSD files via computer and Sony Hi Res Player.

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #942 of 1,922
I ABSOLUTELY NOT RECOMMEND TO PURCHASE THE PHA-3AC DAC/AMP.

Except that my drive is defective, which I doubt, the problem is this:

The inside of the unit is fed from a small battery (with less capacity than the PHA-3 model) and the unit to run must be connected to the AC supply. I turn on the unit and I begin to play DSD music trough balanced output (which is what most consumed) and LED POWER / CHG remains continuously green. The unit warms up because it doesn’t have any type of ventilation and internal circuits (I suppose the double DAC) generates heat. The POWER / CHG LED flashes green because it is no longer charging (I suppose to prevents overheating) and finally the unit turns off because the battery exhausts. The playing time was 1 hour and 20 minutes with DSD and balanced output with a MDR-Z7.

INCREDIBLE!!

Immediately after without recharging the unit, I disconnected the current and wait for the unit to cool again. Once the unit is cooled, I reconnect the power, turn on and everything is working normally again while gradually warms. When I turn on and the unit is cold, battery and load circuits feds normal.

In the operating characteristics it says an operating temperature between 0 ° C and 40 ° C and obviously my home is less than 40 ° C so I understand that there is an obvious problem of heat dissipation design by Sony.

PHA-3AC European version that should improve autonomy (not portability) from the international PHA-3 having to be constantly connected to the mains and it lasts less.

I will return and I will think if I get the PHA-3 via eBay in Japan and hope to come out a possible PHA-4 with these errors corrected.

I wrote to Sony commenting the issue and they have replied me this morning recommend me to check the unit on their SAT. A new unit purchased three days ago for 700 euros.

What do you think? 

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #944 of 1,922
Perhaps you have some kind of a problem in your unit.. mine is always switched on (at least last 4 days) and I use it like a sound card of my PC. Sometimes is really warmed up, but it never goes off.
You see... In the beginning I try to power it from USB port of my Pc. Then I found out the problem you describe with flashing green light and turning off.. I think you have problem with powering unit kind off..

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #945 of 1,922
Perhaps you have some kind of a problem in your unit.. mine is always switched on (at least last 4 days) and I use it like a sound card of my PC. Sometimes is really warmed up, but it never goes off.
You see... In the beginning I try to power it from USB port of my Pc. Then I found out the problem you describe with flashing green light and turning off.. I think you have problem with powering unit kind off..

Your version is PHA-3 or PHA-3AC version? Your use is in balanced mode with full use of the DAC for example DSD? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back