Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp
Jun 28, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #363 of 626
Quote:
Sony-PHA1 owners.

Is the volume bar visible when connected to an idevice?(ipod touch/iphone).
Thanks.

Photos welcome.

I don't think these guys know what you mean, you should clarify as in is the volume bar greyed out and maxed (but still visible) or is it completely hidden.

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #366 of 626
Quote:
Now that I have finished my setup, I have to say the SOny PHA-1 is epic. I switched from the iPhone music player to TuneShell and I converted all my music to full compression FLAC at 24/96 and below.  Now that it runs through the Sony PHA-1 it sounds insane in my Westone 4r with Litz cable.  In addition to that, it sounds insane when coming through my car stereo! I never in a million years thought I'd be able to have this quality of sound on the go!!

What a great addition, and I recommend to anyone to use TuneShell with FLAC through the Sony PHA-1.  It's great!

dpmalito, I was wondering about flac in phone: I use tune shell also.
Great app!
Are you saying that you can actually put flacs on iphone? I only managed to do that when using Flac Player+........
any advice?

thanks!

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #367 of 626
Oh ya Huckfinn! Best part! I suggest best compression FLAC to save space but its easy. After you install TuneShell go to the apps tab in your iphone in itunes when it is connected to your PC or Mac. At the bottom of the tab you will see file sharing for apps. Pick TuneShell and then pick ADD. You upload your flacs right there and TuneShell plays them great. Passes 24/96 to my Sony PHA-1. Never thought I'd have HD music on the go!

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #368 of 626
thanks a lot!
I'll try
wink.gif

EDIT:
wait a second: are you saying you "charge" flac files FROM itunes?
I must have misunderstood as it's not possible to import flac in itunes.......

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #369 of 626
look below:

As you can see in this image, once you connect your device to itunes, go to the device on the left side, then select the apps tab on the right side, and then you will see the above box in the bottom half of the app tab.  Select TuneShell in the FileSharing box and then you can add any files you want from your hard drive, not itunes.  So make sure you have all your files in FLAC waiting to go or AIFF if you like big files for no reason, and then hit ADD and select them and they will upload to TuneShell.

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #370 of 626
Quote:
Oh ya Huckfinn! Best part! I suggest best compression FLAC to save space but its easy. After you install TuneShell go to the apps tab in your iphone in itunes when it is connected to your PC or Mac. At the bottom of the tab you will see file sharing for apps. Pick TuneShell and then pick ADD. You upload your flacs right there and TuneShell plays them great. Passes 24/96 to my Sony PHA-1. Never thought I'd have HD music on the go!

The thing is, putting FLAC onto an iDevice is clumsy (as demonstrated) and hard to organise well. Depending on the app (in this case TuneShell) how well it functions rests largely on 3rd party developers and are less likely to function as well as the native music app. 

A better compromise is convert to ALAC and just use those files and sync as you normally would through iTunes. The downside is iDevices, I believe, are limited to 24/48. Although, if you are able to hear a difference between 24/48 and 24/96 lossless in a portable setting... kudos to you. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #371 of 626
NOt really clumsy and you can hear the difference between 24/96 FLAC and 16/48 ALAC.  No 24/48 in iPhone remember.  TuneShell is pretty much identical to the Apple player, even down to having genius.   So big deal I have to upload in a difference place.  I can even use folders if i want and make playlists, have lyrics, and it has a visualizer that the apple player doesnt, as well as a great EQ that can be set to whatever you want, not presets like Apple.

I would think most people can hear the difference between 16/48 and 24/96 with a good set of IEMs.. I certainly can.

It really isnt clumsy at all.

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #372 of 626
thanks dpmalito,
I'm gonna try tonight.
As I was using my rockboxed 5gen ipod video up to now, all my files are in flac.
So, wasn't looking forward to swap them for alac or other.
This system you mention seems to be a good one.
wink.gif

oh, by the way, have the feeling that tuneshell+iphone is (for many files) "better" than rockboxed ipod..
...but then again: I haven't jumped in and bought an external portable dac yet 
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #373 of 626
I actually tried TuneShell with my FLACs without my external DAC the other day and I have to say with the customizable EQ and the visualizer and the ability to play the FLACs all at the highest resolution the iPhone can output, it sounds at the very least the same as the iPhone player but imho a bit better at least.

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #374 of 626
Please help me

My computer is IMac 27 inch

I just try the USB dac function in my Sony PHA1

I saw in my IMac : Sony PHA 1 driver with 24 bit / 44,4 KHz

But I heard on all sing crackle sound

Is somebody know about the compatibility with iMac ?

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back