Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp
May 29, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #332 of 626
I´m not positive but I think it has to do with compression defects as I have encountered tracks that do not skip at all. Wish others would
share their experience.

May 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #335 of 626
Sorry, I meant software: Neutron, Winamp and whatnot...
wink.gif

May 30, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #336 of 626
Since the Xperia Z does not require other software to send data to the dac amp I have not used any. Its just plug and play. Strange thing is not all tracks skip....

May 30, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #337 of 626
Since the Xperia Z does not require other software to send data to the dac amp I have not used any. Its just plug and play. Strange thing is not all tracks skip....

May 30, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #338 of 626

May 30, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #339 of 626

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #340 of 626
I was thinking about how the Xperia Z and some other phones loose charge to the PHA-1 amp when connected to the OTG cable. Maybe a way to solve this is cut one of the cables that passes power I think one of the blacks or reds. Any comments?

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #341 of 626
Can anyone offer a comparison between the PHA 1 and the Vamp Verza? Especially with sensitive iems? I need to choose one for my portable rig with the iPhone 5/JH 13 and there's just no real comparison available.

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #342 of 626
I just bought the PHA from a member here and love everything about it.  I'm new to this hobby and was surprised at the quality of this small amp.  When I first plugged it in all I had available to me was a steel series gaming headset and I almost blew the cans right out.  I have SM64s in the mail that will hopefully compliment this amp well.

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #343 of 626
Can I ask you guys a technical question?

Using the pha with my iPhone 5 with a USB to lightning cable, if I put songs on my iphone that are aiff 24/96 even though the iPhone won't play them will the pha 1 play the. When I select them in iTunes?

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #345 of 626
I've been looking hard for a decent portable DAC to pair with my iPhone 5 (through the lightening port). I'm not interested in an amp at present as I've easy to drive IEMs. The PHA-1 really seems like the only viable, affordable option for me ($349 right now on Amazon). However, I dont like the bulk and the high 8 ohm output impedance is off-putting as I've the Westone 4R (16 ohm) to drive.

Given that I will only really use it as a portable system with my iPhone, I'm beginning to question my logic. Would it not be better for me just to buy Sony's new Walkman, the NWZ-F06, which has been getting great reviews? I would save cash (about $70 with an F06), the PHA-1 and F06 likely have very similar if not identical DACS, the F06 and iPhone would probably be less bulky in my pocket than the PHA-1/iPhone and I would have a much longer battery life from the F06 than the PHA-1, not to mention saving the battery on my iPhone! I'm strongly veering towards getting the F06 unless someone can tell me that the PHA-1 paired with the iPhone has considerably better SQ than the F06 (I use 16-40 ohm IEMs).

Many thanks for your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back