Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp
May 12, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #317 of 626
Hey Zenpuk n all,  thought I would report back on my Xperiar Z + PHA-1 experience. I ended up cutting two micro b to USB cables and joining the two micro b sides. Unfortunately, I forgot that the cable must be OTG. So I opened one side and shorted the 4 and 5 leads and thus converted the cable to USB OTG. Plugged the Z to the amp and Tadaaa we have sound.

Must I say that although my amp is not burned in the sound is quite commanding considering low rez mp3 format. Awsome soundstage and bass. I rarely listen to more than two hours straight on my portable rig so I have not been able to drain the battery. The phone and the amp together look like jewlery. Really High tech high quality. My problem is that as another member of the thread has reported I am experiencing some very short random skipping and its pissing me off. I have no idea why this is happening.

May 14, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #319 of 626
Quote:
Already use PHA-1 with Note2 for about 1 week.
Just concern about quick battery draining when using DAC (microUSB connected with Note2 via OTG cable), I got 3%~4% per hour when normal use, while about 30% per hour when using DAC to listen music, it just got me mad.
Sony told us in its operation manual,

If you are listening to music too loudly, the battery may drain even if the unit is connected to a computer, or an AC outlet using the recommended USB AC Aadaptor (optional) [/unquote]

So... they IMPLY PHA-1 will still keep charging its batter when you listening music with PHA-1 connecting to a desktop PC, but what will happen if a mobile phone is connected?
According to my own observation, I believe it do, anybody can confirm this? thanks!
[/quote]

I'm having the same problem with my Galaxy S3 and Sony PHA-1. Although the excellent sound, the phone battery drains very very fast, I guess it lasts less  than 3 hours only listening to music. If you do other things, its goes away in less time. Too annoying..
It really seems the DAC is charging from the phone battery and does not recognize what is plugged in the micro USB port. Is it possible?

May 14, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #320 of 626
Quote:

I'm having the same problem with my Galaxy S3 and Sony PHA-1. Although the excellent sound, the phone battery drains very very fast, I guess it lasts less  than 3 hours only listening to music. If you do other things, its goes away in less time. Too annoying..
It really seems the DAC is charging from the phone battery and does not recognize what is plugged in the micro USB port. Is it possible?

I think you are correct. If you plug it into the phone with the amp turned off, the red charge light comes on meaning it is sucking the phone battery.  Someone at sony need to know about this.

May 15, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #321 of 626
So, time we call for the extended battery-cover, using the charging contacts - not the USB. Make this love last :)

May 15, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #322 of 626
Quote:
I think you are correct. If you plug it into the phone with the amp turned off, the red charge light comes on meaning it is sucking the phone battery.  Someone at sony need to know about this.

The problem is that the phone battery drain occurs with the amp turned on while listening music through microUSB connected with Galaxy S3  via OTG cable. 
Anyone else experiencing this?

May 15, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #324 of 626
Got the pha-1 today. Working with my iPad Mini, iPod Classic and HTC One.

Very impressed so far. Looks the business.

How does it sound with Beats Audio ON?

May 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #325 of 626
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
For owners of iPhones, can you tell me if you use the line input at the front of the PHA-1, can you still make/receive phone calls if you use a headphone with Apple mic/remote?

May 17, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #326 of 626
I am eager to see this comparison too!  I would love a shoot out with all the lightning-ready options (PHA-1, Verza, HiFi-M8, Apogee one, not sure of any others).
My guess is it will go something like this:
For harder to drive cans: Hifi-M8, Verza, PHA-1, Apogee
For easy to drive: no idea, I read that the Verza is excellent here, being designed for the m100

Quote:
I'm excited to compare the PHA-1 to Apogee's new ONE for iPad.  It should hit the streets next month.  The ONE cost less than the PHA-1 and operates on 2 AA batteries. 

May 25, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #329 of 626
Had my pha-1 now for a few weeks. It replaced my fiio e17 and e12. The pha-1 is far more versatile as it does Apple usb as well. It is also of higher quality but I do miss the e12 and it's bass boost a bit. But saying that when there is bass in a song the Sony explodes.

Out off my current headphone collection the Sony mdr-1r sound really good with it. As do sennheiser hd-558 and in ear jvc ha-fxz 200. My audio technica ath-ad900x annoyingly don't sound that good. Need more listening time with them.

Probably going to end up selling the sennheiser and audio technica, I am selling them both as the Sony mdr-1r and jvc are amazing.

The mdr-1r have taken over 209 hours to come alive. But now they just rock. Great with my HTC One as well.

May 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #330 of 626
Just ordered one of these, good thing I waited the price was $400. Can't wait for it to arrive. Right now I only have a Fiio E6 and as for headphones SONY MDR-V6 and unmodded Fostex t50rp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back