Sony PCM-M10 vs Sony Walkman or s:flo/2 T51 and Olympus LS-11
Feb 16, 2010 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ZenFire

New Head-Fier
Hi, thanks in advance for all replies. I am wanting to know if the Sony PCM-M10 is greater than or equal to the playback of the best Walkman or the s:flo/2 T51. I do a lot of recording in the field and for speaking CD's, and am at a toss-up of buying the Olympus LS-11 to record, and the Walkman or s:flo/2 T51 to listen through Westone UM3X. Or if I can do the whole ball of wax through the PCM-M10. I listen to large format sound for maximum absorption of the playback, often using brainwave technology, so I like lossless on up. Also, can the PCM-M10 be amped, or even need to be?

Cheers, Zen

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 5
s:flo/2 is getting amazing reviews right now. I'd suggest to go look at the threads about that and the Teclast T51 (they are the same DAP).

Sadly it's not the "best" player in terms of UI but it has amazing SQ. If you can get around the bugs it's amazing (also has a dedicated line out). But yea it kinda has low battery life... around 8 hours lossless (FLAC) if that matters to you.

Mar 27, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #3 of 5
I haven't listened to the rest, but I do own the PCM-M10 and it's *superb*. If you have heard the PCM-D50, it's on that level (except this unit comes with fixed omni mics, not cardioid). External mic can be attached, of course. The headphone output is rated at 20mW+20mW at 16 ohm impedance.

The PCM-D50's headphone amp is a bit more powerful than this, but generally speaking the PCM-M10 doesn't need to be amped and I'd say there's no chance you will be disappointed with its sound.

It is a superb unit for lossless recording and playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back