Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Oct 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #1,846 of 2,024

As far as I know, ATRAC is not possible or supported on non-Japanese Walkmans. It is not listed in the codecs. I have only had the Japanese ones which do support it. I wouldn't count on any non-Japanese model working with ATRAC files.

+1

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #1,847 of 2,024

As far as I know, ATRAC is not possible or supported on non-Japanese Walkmans. It is not listed in the codecs. I have only had the Japanese ones which do support it. I wouldn't count on any non-Japanese model working with ATRAC files.

FLAC is not listed either but works just fine. But you may be right who knows.
  Contact someone on xda-developers.com.

Yes thought about that, more people willing to donate would be nice...

What do you mean latest firmware? As in Sony's firmware or the Android OS itself?

Yes, latest firmware only. I've got unit with no serial number so can not just simply do an update, trust me tried everything.

Got a feeling that upgrading to F887 is the only option...hmm.

Oct 7, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #1,848 of 2,024
  FLAC is not listed either but works just fine. But you may be right who knows.

Yes he is right.  ATRAC is only supported on Japanese domestic devices.

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #1,850 of 2,024
Yes, latest firmware only. I've got unit with no serial number so can not just simply do an update, trust me tried everything.

How did your unit lose its serial number? If you're prepared to donate for someone on xda-developers to contribute to a firmware flash solution, perhaps it'd be just as much to get the problem fixed by a legitimate service centre?

Oct 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #1,852 of 2,024
Great News!

Here's hoping that since it's back in the store that means it's fully functional.if not they would have to replace it (being as it is still under warranty).

please let us know what you find out,i.e.,whether they were able to repair your unit and what they did specifically (if the person you speak with knows) or if they gave you a new one or ...?

I just hope all is well with it from now on and that you never run into any issues again.

i know i'd be very sad to have to go without my F807 even for a day.

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #1,853 of 2,024
i know i'd be very sad to have to go without my F807 even for a day.

+1

I forgot my F806 and E12 the other day before leaving for class. I was one sad puppy :frowning2:

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #1,855 of 2,024
http://www.sony.co.uk/product/nws-f-series/nwz-f805/technical-specifications#tabQuote:

How did your unit lose its serial number? If you're prepared to donate for someone on xda-developers to contribute to a firmware flash solution, perhaps it'd be just as much to get the problem fixed by a legitimate service centre?

It is a long story and already mentioned somewhere in this thread. Anyway service is not an option especially here in UK...
  FLAC is listed on the F80x series - did it out of the box. They backported FLAC compatibility to the Z shortly after the release of the F80x.

I was referring to sony tech spec here: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/nws-f-series/nwz-f805/technical-specifications#tab
but you are right we all knew flac is supported.

Blah just found that in UK officially sony does not sell/support F887 wth? Why they do that, it was exactly the same with F807 grrrr...

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #1,856 of 2,024
Guys, I would love to pair my F806 with the new FiiO E18 that's coming soon but need an LOD cable that can be interconnected via micro USB instead of line in like the FiiO L5. Any suggestions?

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #1,858 of 2,024
You want to damage your hearing?

Most Sony DAPs are loud enough with even Sonys' own higher end IEM/Headphones.
Since when does adding a DAC to your DAP damage your hearing? I already use it with the E12 via LOD and get a much cleaner sound.

I don't need loudness, I want a better sound than there already is. That's what this hobby is all about, holmes..

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #1,859 of 2,024
Since when does adding a DAC to your DAP damage your hearing? I already use it with the E12 via LOD and get a much cleaner sound.

I don't need loudness, I want a better sound than there already is. That's what this hobby is all about, holmes..

It's just my experience when I connected my Sony A865 walkman with digizoid Z2. I almost lost my hearing and vowed never again to pair a walkman with a amp.
I take it the Fiio which you mentioned has an amp too..

Take my post with a grain of salt.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #1,860 of 2,024
  It's just my experience when I connected my Sony A865 walkman with digizoid Z2. I almost lost my hearing and vowed never again to pair a walkman with a amp.
I take it the Fiio which you mentioned has an amp too..

Take my post with a grain of salt.

It all depends on how sensitive your IEMs or HPs are. I use the Westone 4R which has quad drivers and benefit from amping. I want the E18 for it's DAC, not just the amp. If that was the case, I'd just stick with the E12 connected via LOD to my F806.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back