Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Oct 22, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #1,876 of 2,024
SUCCESS!

After A LOT of digging all you have to do is the following for the image dump (assume rooted):

1, go to ConnectBot or any terminal program.
2, type SU and enter to get #
3, type this command "cat /proc/partitions" no quotes and enter.
4, you should see a list of "files" like mmcblk0p5 and such, those are your rom partitions.
5, write all those file names down.
6, use this command for the rom dump: "cat /dev/block/PARTITION_NAME > /sdcard/PARTITION_NAME.img", replace PARTITION_NAME with any of the partition listed before.  For example, if you want to dump the kernel, which is mmcblk0p5, you type "cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 > /sdcard/mmcblk0p5.img" and entre.
7, this will take a while, but when finished, you will see the .img file in your /sdcard.  Just connect to your computer and get the files back out of your F.

As for recovery, get flash_image and read the very last part of the instructions here.

Oct 23, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #1,877 of 2,024
  SUCCESS!

After A LOT of digging all you have to do is the following for the image dump (assume rooted):

1, go to ConnectBot or any terminal program.
2, type SU and enter to get #
3, type this command "cat /proc/partitions" no quotes and enter.
4, you should see a list of "files" like mmcblk0p5 and such, those are your rom partitions.
5, write all those file names down.
6, use this command for the rom dump: "cat /dev/block/PARTITION_NAME > /sdcard/PARTITION_NAME.img", replace PARTITION_NAME with any of the partition listed before.  For example, if you want to dump the kernel, which is mmcblk0p5, you type "cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 > /sdcard/mmcblk0p5.img" and entre.
7, this will take a while, but when finished, you will see the .img file in your /sdcard.  Just connect to your computer and get the files back out of your F.

As for recovery, get flash_image and read the very last part of the instructions here.

Were you able to get a custom recovery installed??
You're my last hope as I might have gotten overwhelmed and went ahead with customizing my Z without considering the limitations and sadly, now I have a soft-bricked Walkman (stuck in bootloop).
triportsad.gif

Also, how are we gonna get the recovery installed if there is no "flash" or "update" option in the stock recovery?
Plus, have you been able to discover any different booting modes other than the normal one, like Samsung's download mode or Xperia's flash mode?

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #1,878 of 2,024
I can't compile a CWM for the F, but as long as you have root, you can do something similar to get the dump or flash.  The trick is to get the list of partitions for your device, as I found out that the locations changes from release to release.  For example, for 4.0.4 is /proc/partitions, but for others it might have been cat /proc/mtd or /proc/emmc or whatever.  Just go into /proc and look around.  Also, I think this will be helpful:

http://www.all-things-android.com/content/review-android-partition-layout

Also for your Z, did you try to boot into the default recovery?  If not, try the following:

hold down power and vol - to boot into safe mode.
hold down power and vol + to boot system recovery.

The button combo maybe different for your Z, but try various holding patterns until you get it to work.

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #1,879 of 2,024
  I can't compile a CWM for the F, but as long as you have root, you can do something similar to get the dump or flash.  The trick is to get the list of partitions for your device, as I found out that the locations changes from release to release.  For example, for 4.0.4 is /proc/partitions, but for others it might have been cat /proc/mtd or /proc/emmc or whatever.  Just go into /proc and look around.  Also, I think this will be helpful:

http://www.all-things-android.com/content/review-android-partition-layout

Also for your Z, did you try to boot into the default recovery?  If not, try the following:

hold down power and vol - to boot into safe mode.
hold down power and vol + to boot system recovery.

The button combo maybe different for your Z, but try various holding patterns until you get it to work.

I can boot into the recovery mode easily, but when I try safe mode it goes into bootloop but I am able to see the "safe mode" watermark for a split second and then the prompt "Sony.EULA has stopped working" and then it boots again.
Also tried wiping the cache and factory reset, but to no avail.

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #1,880 of 2,024
  I can boot into the recovery mode easily, but when I try safe mode it goes into bootloop but I am able to see the "safe mode" watermark for a split second and then the prompt "Sony.EULA has stopped working" and then it boots again.
Also tried wiping the cache and factory reset, but to no avail.

I guess I will have to dig around somemore, but did you have a backup of your rom before you flashed?  However, I don't know how is building a recovery rom for the F helps your Z in this case.  I guess the only way to fix yours is to 1, discover the flash mode for your Z or F; and 2, get / make a working rom for you.  I can seriously use some help on how to fix my ADB and get all the codes and programs necessary for the recompile...

Oct 23, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #1,881 of 2,024
  I guess I will have to dig around somemore, but did you have a backup of your rom before you flashed?  However, I don't know how is building a recovery rom for the F helps your Z in this case.  I guess the only way to fix yours is to 1, discover the flash mode for your Z or F; and 2, get / make a working rom for you.  I can seriously use some help on how to fix my ADB and get all the codes and programs necessary for the recompile...

Both of them kinda have the same ROMs.
Plus, have you discovered a flash mode for your F??
ADB is pretty easy. Try this link, works for me everytime: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=42407269

P.S. If it still doesn't work, try doing a clean install of Windows XP first as it is better with all the driver business.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #1,883 of 2,024
Oct 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #1,885 of 2,024
The rom dump part was done as I posted before, and the compile part is technically not hard either, rather I need to setup my environment for the build.  I am thinking just start fresh and use my m11x for Ubuntu instead of Win7 and go from there.  Too bad I am moving and I don't have a lot of time for this.  Besides, why can't you just do it?  If I can figure all this out in one night, then I am sure some of you here that are actual devs can get this one out much quicker.  I just worry about Sony doing something ****ty to their builds and lock us out.  The reason being that my ADB should work but doesn't even after getting all the USB drivers.

p.s. technically I can do without ADB, but I will still need to setup the other stuff as mentioned in the port guild for CWM before.

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #1,886 of 2,024
  The rom dump part was done as I posted before, and the compile part is technically not hard either, rather I need to setup my environment for the build.  I am thinking just start fresh and use my m11x for Ubuntu instead of Win7 and go from there.  Too bad I am moving and I don't have a lot of time for this.  Besides, why can't you just do it?  If I can figure all this out in one night, then I am sure some of you here that are actual devs can get this one out much quicker.  I just worry about Sony doing something ****ty to their builds and lock us out.  The reason being that my ADB should work but doesn't even after getting all the USB drivers.

p.s. technically I can do without ADB, but I will still need to setup the other stuff as mentioned in the port guild for CWM before.

I'm not much of a dev and besides, all this ROM stuff is pretty daunting.

Oct 23, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #1,887 of 2,024
How are you going to fix your Z without the original rom dump?  Can you get another rooted Z for that?

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #1,889 of 2,024
  I can get the dump from someone at XDA.

Nice.  Also, can you find out that will it make a difference if I do the partition dump individually, or I will have to somehow recombind them into a single image file?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back