Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Dec 3, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #1,007 of 2,024
Quote:
Just curious to know how long a fully loaded F807 take to boot ?

I don't know how larger capacity would affect the boot time, but I just timed my F806. It took 40 secs from "off" to "music playing."

Boot-wise, it's fast for an Android device (faster than my phone), but still slow compared to a Windows 7 PC or non-Android portable music player.

I'm going to take a guess here that the "refreshing sd card" scan takes longer if you have recently added or removed songs. Not sure though.

Dec 3, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #1,008 of 2,024
Dec 3, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #1,009 of 2,024
I sold my F806, the sound just didn't do it for me.(compared to the Z & A). Also the screen size was less than satisfying.

Waiting patiently for a newer walkman, with the Z  'no longer available' on Sony website, I anticipate a future release sometime. Fingers crossed.

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #1,010 of 2,024
Quote:
It's best to bring your own music to audition anything, as it's what you're familiar with. An easy option would be to bring another Android device, or phone that supports Bluetooth FTP (file transfer). Simply bluetooth your music over.

My phone's got Bluetooth, so I shall do just that. Only problem - 20mb internal storage
tongue_smile.gif
But I could make a mish-mash of songs in a one-song-length track.

Quote:
I sold my F806, the sound just didn't do it for me.(compared to the Z & A). Also the screen size was less than satisfying.

Waiting patiently for a newer walkman, with the Z  'no longer available' on Sony website, I anticipate a future release sometime. Fingers crossed.

That's a shame! Although, the Z is still available in New Zealand at least, you could probably get a hold of it if you want to. NZ seems to be behind everyone else with these Sony porducts - the physical Sony store I visited doesn't have the F806 yet at all!

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #1,011 of 2,024
Quote:
I don't know how larger capacity would affect the boot time, but I just timed my F806. It took 40 secs from "off" to "music playing."

Boot-wise, it's fast for an Android device (faster than my phone), but still slow compared to a Windows 7 PC or non-Android portable music player.

I'm going to take a guess here that the "refreshing sd card" scan takes longer if you have recently added or removed songs. Not sure though.

Quote:
No difference, full or empty for me.

Good news, is less than my phone or my tablet, merci beaucoup
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #1,012 of 2,024
My 807 arrived today via ShippingInJapan. Only had it for a few hours. initial impressions against iPod touch 5 (that I've been using recently) is that it's brighter and I seem to be getting more detail out of songs. Using default player and Westone 4s. Pleasing to the ear so far. Havent compared other players yet, but have loaded up Neutron and Poweramp for later testing. Loading music was simple, just dragged into Music while connected via USB, autodetected everything. Physical build quality is solid, but a little nervous about the screen. Oh and there was around 55gb of storage available for music (rsst is operating system and apps).

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #1,014 of 2,024
Quote:
Interested to know how you compare it to the J3 that you also have.

My first impressions comparison is that it's a favourable upgrade/replacement for the J3. Similar form factor, 20+ hours lifetime, customisable UI via Android (which I'm very familiar with), drag and drop interface.

Sound-quality wise, I will need to do some side-by-side testing. The Sony definitely has a bigger soundstage and clarity. I just wish it was more clear if it is from the internal DAC + AMP or whether there's some software settings involved too.

More testing is needed - but pretty happy so far. Also have had a colleague compare the F807 via headphone out, via LOD to ALO RX Mk2, and against unamped iPod Touch 5. He was very impressed at the quality from the Sony just from headphone out.

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #1,016 of 2,024
The RMAA tests can be downloaded here:
https://rapidshare.com/files/651317586/Sony%20rmaa%20tests.zip

I tested the Sony NWZ-F806, S545, and A845 (japanese), I used the V-mode m80 as a load and the Fiio e11 portable amp.
Half the tests were line out and the other half was with the headphone jack.

To access the files you must download and install rmaa and use it to open the files.

Here's my findings

With line out

1. F806 was mainly clean and straight, very good.

2. S545 was very good too but not as straight as the F806 since 2k-3k was slightly peaked (increased). I guess that increases clarity of midrange and makes sound slightly more

forward? From my hearing it sounds as good as the F-806. Both have wide soundstages and great clarity. I'm not an expert on hiss since I never notice such things ever.

3. A845 was pretty good also but seems to roll off slightly in the very high frequency ranges, but couldn't tell through hearing. Sounded as good as the other two.

Through headphone jack

1. The F-806 now seems to have a peaked (increased) sub bass region. Maybe this is the reason that increasing the clear bass causes distortion in some tracks and in some

players?

2. S545 basically stayed the same in frequency graph.

3. A845 straighten out the highs and got rid of the slight roll off (strange!).

Here are some pics

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #1,017 of 2,024
Quote:
The RMAA tests can be downloaded here:
https://rapidshare.com/files/651317586/Sony%20rmaa%20tests.zip

I tested the Sony NWZ-F806, S545, and A845 (japanese), I used the V-mode m80 as a load and the Fiio e11 portable amp.
Half the tests were line out and the other half was with the headphone jack.

To access the files you must download and install rmaa and use it to open the files.

Here's my findings

With line out

1. F806 was mainly clean and straight, very good.

2. S545 was very good too but not as straight as the F806 since 2k-3k was slightly peaked (increased). I guess that increases clarity of midrange and makes sound slightly more

forward? From my hearing it sounds as good as the F-806. Both have wide soundstages and great clarity. I'm not an expert on hiss since I never notice such things ever.

3. A845 was pretty good also but seems to roll off slightly in the very high frequency ranges, but couldn't tell through hearing. Sounded as good as the other two.

Through headphone jack

1. The F-806 now seems to have a peaked (increased) sub bass region. Maybe this is the reason that increasing the clear bass causes distortion in some tracks and in some

players?

2. S545 basically stayed the same in frequency graph.

3. A845 straighten out the highs and got rid of the slight roll off (strange!).

Here are some pics

This data corresponds to the way I hear the difference as well. Good work!

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #1,018 of 2,024
A few questions from a new owner:

1. The default music player doesn't seem to recognise album art that Neutron and PowerAmp does. It seems like it could be FLAC albums that are the problem. Anyone know how to fix?
2. Are there any worthwhile Sony apps or settings that I should know about? I've haven't really been fiddling with them so far. Mainly pairing with Westone 4's if that makes any difference.

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #1,019 of 2,024
Quote:

1. The default music player doesn't seem to recognise album art that Neutron and PowerAmp does. It seems like it could be FLAC albums that are the problem. Anyone know how to fix?
2. Are there any worthwhile Sony apps or settings that I should know about? I've haven't really been fiddling with them so far. Mainly pairing with Westone 4's if that makes any difference.

1. Check the album art? Normally they will read .jpg, and mine read all album art just fine
2. Because i use the speaker as well during shower, I use sony smartconnect, everytime I plug in my IEM, a special profile will begin, opening the music player and reducing the volume into half. Also when I unplug my IEM, the volume will return to full power

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #1,020 of 2,024
Quote:

load it into sony media go and check the flac files property, you can than add or change the album art than only upload to the player. it will display nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back