Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Nov 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #946 of 2,024
Quote:

Tried it with a few: an old FIIP E5 I have lying around, a cricri+ I had for some time and the really great sounding NECO V3(.1), this one is several steps above the others probably compared to your leckerton since this on standard also comes with op8610 just like Neco (Neco is one op amp per channel)

The difference in sound signature from line out to heaphone out is clearly noticed

Maybe this is related to how sony handles the s-master mx section, amplifying directly in the digital domain thus avoiding a dedicated dac circuit altogether. Not sure if the sony line out bypasses the digital domain amp, probably not since it´s circuit dependant but anyway line out on the sony´s does sound too much dry and thin (at least to my ears)

Bummer, well I will find out for myself tonight. Any other opinions of people using the WM-port line-out? 

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #947 of 2,024
the F walkman port and headphone out sounds similar to me. however, the Z sounds clearly noticeable though when using headphone out and walkman port

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #948 of 2,024
i got my new F806 for few days, wondering the gadget need any burning to get improvemet or not...

i found the "voice" sound abit too seriously amp, the kind of crips and digital hifi kind "si","ci" crack sound, and "Thin" feeling in voice especially for male sound abit irritating. i found my four year old Sony S739 have better real voice-like and intimate sound for voice. it is worst with Sennheisher IE8, while changed with Sony MDR-1R sound less crap but still there...

for disco music, alot crack sound that really annoying and hitting my ear rather then enjoying. bass is wondeful and musical sound is fine.

it just like F806 is over digital amp, not really that the sound. i ll go to Sony centre to have audition with their demo unit to see my unit fault or all the same.

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #949 of 2,024
i tried to off all E setting and sony DSEE ,exloud, clear treble etc features and use Poweramp app doesn't really help to get nicer real voice sound. it liken cheap car hifi set that produce narrow tone and high crack+hiss voice..

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #950 of 2,024
Ok I received my Sony F806, and so far so good. It sounds great and is a much more usable android device than my old Cowon D3. I am running Neutron now, with Tactile player to have some pocket control.

ninogui, I see what you are saying now between the difference of the headphone out and the line-out. The headphone out definitely sounds...fuller (warmer?), compared to the headphone out. It may have to do with the way the Walkman handles digital amplification, but it may also just be a property of the built-in amp itself. When compared to my desktop setup, I find the line-out with Leckerton UHA-6S.mkII to sound more similar. With my Westone 3's, the "fuller" sound from the headphone out actually makes it sound worse: things sound a bit veiled or blanketed. But with some of my full-size cans, the "tubey" headphone output sounds slightly better. Either way, both outputs sound good and I will look on the bright side: I have two flavors of amp to choose from! 

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #951 of 2,024
Quote:
ninogui, I see what you are saying now between the difference of the headphone out and the line-out. The headphone out definitely sounds...fuller (warmer?), compared to the headphone out.

huh? 
confused.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #952 of 2,024
i got my new F806 for few days, wondering the gadget need any burning to get improvemet or not...

i found the "voice" sound abit too seriously amp, the kind of crips and digital hifi kind "si","ci" crack sound, and "Thin" feeling in voice especially for male sound abit irritating. i found my four year old Sony S739 have better real voice-like and intimate sound for voice. it is worst with Sennheisher IE8, while changed with Sony MDR-1R sound less crap but still there...

for disco music, alot crack sound that really annoying and hitting my ear rather then enjoying. bass is wondeful and musical sound is fine.

it just like F806 is over digital amp, not really that the sound. i ll go to Sony centre to have audition with their demo unit to see my unit fault or all the same.

Hello Musictang,

Which source files are you using ? MP3 320k , FLAC ? Maybe is just a problem with the material you are playing, the DAP is revealing the imperfections in the record ?

Or you have a defective unit, hope so :D

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #954 of 2,024
Nov 28, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #955 of 2,024
Quote:
Ok I received my Sony F806, and so far so good. It sounds great and is a much more usable android device than my old Cowon D3. I am running Neutron now, with Tactile player to have some pocket control.

ninogui, I see what you are saying now between the difference of the headphone out and the line-out. The headphone out definitely sounds...fuller (warmer?), compared to the headphone out. It may have to do with the way the Walkman handles digital amplification, but it may also just be a property of the built-in amp itself. When compared to my desktop setup, I find the line-out with Leckerton UHA-6S.mkII to sound more similar. With my Westone 3's, the "fuller" sound from the headphone out actually makes it sound worse: things sound a bit veiled or blanketed. But with some of my full-size cans, the "tubey" headphone output sounds slightly better. Either way, both outputs sound good and I will look on the bright side: I have two flavors of amp to choose from! 

My original feeling comes from the sparse info regarding sony portable gear in general they pretty much keep in kinda secretively hidden which is a bit of a nonsense as in fact it detracts sales for sure, nowadays people much rather be properly informed tech wise. As example walkman´s sales do probably take a hit on the single two main issues of 1-not having micro-sd expandability and 2-not having open source ports like rockbox. Just look at the samsa´s clip+ / fuze  sales.. sky high still going strong years after their launch and there are no clones around so who cares..

Anyway this is the scheme I was talking about and it´s easy to understand my suspicions, me and others have posted this somewhere else in the past

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #956 of 2,024
I've been comparing the market since realising J3's are almost impossible to find (even here in HK). Put together a spreadsheet of players on my radar. I was looking for a few things - minimum 64GB storage (expandability preferred), small profile, 20h+ playtime, FLAC compatible, anything else was just gravy.

The Sony Walkman F807 series was on my radar, but in the end I went with an iPod Touch 5G. Why? Well, I can't seem to understand what Sony brings to the table that justfies the increased cost. I'm a heavy Android advocate with several of the latest Samsung Galaxy devices (SGS2,3,Note2), so there's no Apple snobbery here. I'm just trying to find what comes closest to my J3 from cost, playtime, storage and performance.

From that perspective, is there anything that sets the F8xx ahead of an iPod Touch 5G (beyond software)?

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #957 of 2,024
Quote:
I've been comparing the market since realising J3's are almost impossible to find (even here in HK). Put together a spreadsheet of players on my radar. I was looking for a few things - minimum 64GB storage (expandability preferred), small profile, 20h+ playtime, FLAC compatible, anything else was just gravy.

The Sony Walkman F807 series was on my radar, but in the end I went with an iPod Touch 5G. Why? Well, I can't seem to understand what Sony brings to the table that justfies the increased cost. I'm a heavy Android advocate with several of the latest Samsung Galaxy devices (SGS2,3,Note2), so there's no Apple snobbery here. I'm just trying to find what comes closest to my J3 from cost, playtime, storage and performance.

From that perspective, is there anything that sets the F8xx ahead of an iPod Touch 5G (beyond software)?

FLAC and Apple.... What are you going to do about that?

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #959 of 2,024
Quote:

Most importantly, much better sound quality to my ears at least. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back