Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Nov 20, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #871 of 2,024
Quote:
I'm highly considering getting this player, but I have a few questions. Hardware buttons for pocket-control have always been important to me. They were the main reason I got the F's predecessor, the X series. I see that this version only has: power, volume, and W button. Is this sufficient for blind usage? I understand the W button has functionality with the stock player, but what does it do in 3rd party players like PlayerPro or Neutron? I really need mp3/FLAC gapless, and on-the-go playlists, so I don't plan to use the stock app.

I hear the F80X can support swipe gestures to control next/previous. This might be a decent alternative for pocket control. Can gestures control pause/play as well? Can the swipe gestures be used in 3rd party media player software? Is there any way to get dual-purpose out of the existing hardware buttons? e.g. an app/hack that makes long press on volume next/previous and can make W button pause/play. 

Lastly, can the F80X play any high res (e.g. 24/96) FLAC's properly? I don't have a lot of high-res tracks, but a few.

Sorry for so many questions, but blind control is the one nagging issue that will make or break the deal for me. I must know before I drop this much coin on one! Cheers.

i use the F's screen inside my pocket. so far, i never made any mistakes skipping and stopping songs haha

and that blue F is getting on me every time i see it.. i wanna trade my white one haha. i should stop browsing this thread lol...

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #872 of 2,024
Well dammit speaking of not browsing this thread, I keep thinking of getting a 64gb Japan version....  
mad.gif

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #873 of 2,024
Quote:
Well dammit speaking of not browsing this thread, I keep thinking of getting a 64gb Japan version.... 

Get it...cross over to the dark side.  You will double your memory by getting the F807.  
L3000.gif

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #874 of 2,024
Quote:
animalsrush-

Excellent unbiased review, and totally valid points. I will link it on the first page....

Thanks Cn11.. Also thanks for replying to my questions earlier .. That actually pushed me to get this player ..

Thanks
PC

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #875 of 2,024
Quote:
Get it...cross over to the dark side.  You will double your memory by getting the F807.  
L3000.gif

Yeah, double the money for double the memory though! 

Quote:
Thanks Cn11.. Also thanks for replying to my questions earlier .. That actually pushed me to get this player ..

Thanks
PC

No problem, hope you continue to enjoy. I'm continually impressed it sounds straight from the headphone out running Cubed- betters the sound when paired with my Arrow (guess the LOD bypasses the sound from Cubed). 

Nov 21, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #876 of 2,024
Quote:

No problem, hope you continue to enjoy. I'm continually impressed it sounds straight from the headphone out running Cubed- betters the sound when paired with my Arrow (guess the LOD bypasses the sound from Cubed). 

the 32gb locally is 40usd more expensive than the 64gb i bought, but the problem is that the 64gb doesnt have a serial number so ill prepare for the worst when there is something wrong with my F lol...

got charged 150usd for a battery replacement with my E016 because it is not being sold locally lol... so i did not have its battery replaced =(

Nov 21, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #877 of 2,024
Quote:

indeed! i was very tempted by the 807 but could not justify spending nearly £360 on a audio player. £240 was more acceptable to me and if you use something like isyncr to sync over what you actually 'need' on your device at any one time, all is good and you find yourself saving £££ 
beyersmile.png

oh and the blue is metal backed too! very cold this morning here in the uk 
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #878 of 2,024
Nov 21, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #879 of 2,024
Quote:

i use the F's screen inside my pocket. so far, i never made any mistakes skipping and stopping songs haha

and that blue F is getting on me every time i see it.. i wanna trade my white one haha. i should stop browsing this thread lol...

No external control buttons = no go for me. That´s what I like about the A-806, has them all (play/pause, forward/advance, back/rewind, vol up and down)
and I bet in pure sound quality does no lag behind either the Z or the F series

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #880 of 2,024
Quote:

No external control buttons = no go for me. That´s what I like about the A-806, has them all (play/pause, forward/advance, back/rewind, vol up and down)

Hate to burst your bubble here.  
happy_face1.gif
 Unless your player has the "S-Master Pro MX" built in, then it won't compare.  I have a regular Sony S walkman, but the F80x, A86x, and Z10x0 are much better sounding.  If you need dedicate buttons, check out the A864, 5, 6, 7 Walkman.  These top of line A-series have a digital amp built-in and sound just as good as the Z & F.

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #881 of 2,024
Quote:

I am in the same boat, but I am thinking that this  can be a solution. How much is the 64GB version in the US?

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #882 of 2,024
Quote:

I am in the same boat, but I am thinking that this  can be a solution. How much is the 64GB version in the US?

The US market only get the F806 (32GB - $300).  The F807 (64GB) is only available in Japan if I'm not mistaken.

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #883 of 2,024
Quote:

Hate to burst your bubble here.  
happy_face1.gif
 Unless your player has the "S-Master Pro MX" built in, then it won't compare.  I have a regular Sony S walkman, but the F80x, A86x, and Z10x0 are much better sounding.  If you need dedicate buttons, check out the A864, 5, 6, 7 Walkman.  These top of line A-series have a digital amp built-in and sound just as good as the Z & F.

Yup, I can confirm that. I had A808 and S636 at the same time and was using S639(which is step-up from A808 in SQ)before Z1060. You definitely get SQ improvement and it's very noticeable. It's not day and night difference but after you get used to the Z sound, you will choose bulky and unresponsive Z over fast and small S639 any time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back