Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Sep 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #61 of 2,024
Yep the new iPod continue to offer more features and Apple is doing a great job with that despite the replacement of the cable which likely kill the analog lineout.  I don't particular get why they have to keep making iPod & iPhone thinner.  I, for one, prefer my portable device to feel solid in my hand.  Once it get below 10 mm. it hardly matter to me.  I'm old I guess given that I used to carry my discman wherever I go.  

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #62 of 2,024
Quote:
Yep the new iPod continue to offer more features and Apple is doing a great job with that despite the replacement of the cable which likely kill the analog lineout.  I don't particular get why they have to keep making iPod & iPhone thinner.  I, for one, prefer my portable device to feel solid in my hand.  Once it get below 10 mm. it hardly matter to me.  I'm old I guess given that I used to carry my discman wherever I go.  

Wow, that new cable on the Touch/iPhone will kill the line out functionality? If true, that would be a huge reason to look elsewhere than Apple! 

I sort of agree about slimness of devices. They get to be hard to hold... The same is a bit true of the F806, especially with its beveled edge. It can be tough to get a solid hold on, if you're trying to quickly get to that power button on the top side...

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #63 of 2,024
Quote:

Wow, that new cable on the Touch/iPhone will kill the line out functionality? If true, that would be a huge reason to look elsewhere than Apple! 

I sort of agree about slimness of devices. They get to be hard to hold... The same is a bit true of the F806, especially with its beveled edge. It can be tough to get a solid hold on, if you're trying to quickly get to that power button on the top side...

Well, the size and thinnest war will continue to downgrade the sound quality IMO.  Though with the A Walkman, Sony has proven that great sound can come in a small package.  Not sure how much smaller Sony can squeeze their S-Master MX into though. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #65 of 2,024
I don't think anyone's heard the Z series compared to the F series just yet... I have not. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #67 of 2,024
Quote:
Here's a review I saw posted this morning on AllthingsD:

http://allthingsd.com/20120913/sonys-latest-walkman-easy-on-the-ears-not-on-the-wallet/

Strangely, no mention of Flac...so whats the deal?
Quote:
I implied 128 GB built-in.

My mistake..
cool.gif

To be honest, for the first time, I feel myself leaning toward getting the Ipod touch.....please somebody help me.........

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #68 of 2,024
Quote:

Well, the size and thinnest war will continue to downgrade the sound quality IMO.  Though with the A Walkman, Sony has proven that great sound can come in a small package.  Not sure how much smaller Sony can squeeze their S-Master MX into though. 

Please stop teasing us (people looking for the Walkman A67, 64GB version, non EU)......I am still in love with my Z, just the size.
One small question any news if SoNy is updating or releasing any new version of the A series? or the F will be considered as a replacement?

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #69 of 2,024
Can F806 be used as a digital source to home audio system via external DAC? I would use F806 mainly as a portable device, but at home it would nice to listen to music via Spotify or Music Unlimited. I do not have hometheater amp, I have 2 ch tube amp and DAC.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #71 of 2,024
Quote:
Strangely, no mention of Flac...so whats the deal?

It can play Flac, either with the stock player or Poweramp (and I'm sure several other apps too). I think Flac is listed in the specs as a supported format. I guess it's not important to the author of that review.

Sep 14, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #72 of 2,024
Will it play FLAC at all compression levels (0-8)? Would be greatly appreciated if the reviewer had the opportunity to test with level 8.

I also find this statement in Sony's advertising confusing:
"Experience uncompressed audio with gapless playback with FLAC support (Note – Gapless playback only available currently in Linear PCM format(s))"

Is there gapless playback with FLAC or not? Or do they just simply imply that linear PCM is required as the source going into the flac, as I guess it is possible to compress lossy formats, possibly mp3s converted into wavs, into flac.

Sep 14, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #73 of 2,024
Quote:
Can F806 be used as a digital source to home audio system via external DAC? I would use F806 mainly as a portable device, but at home it would nice to listen to music via Spotify or Music Unlimited. I do not have hometheater amp, I have 2 ch tube amp and DAC.

Quote:
no, you can bypass it's Amp, but not it's DAC

If you have a DAC such as NAD M51 or a receiver with HDMI input you can use that to transfer audio digitally. I haven't tried myself but somebody on the forum confirmed it was working. 

Sep 14, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #74 of 2,024
Well, I just did pre-order one and really looking forward to it. The FLAC support and potential gapless - which you can get with market players anyway was enough to get me to abandon my trusted Cowon J3.
I'll see how the sound signatures from the 2 differ...

I think I was ready for a change and the Z2 only had the microSD going for it. 

Looking forward to loading a few albums on it!

Sep 14, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #75 of 2,024
Quote:
Well, I just did pre-order one and really looking forward to it. The FLAC support and potential gapless - which you can get with market players anyway was enough to get me to abandon my trusted Cowon J3.
I'll see how the sound signatures from the 2 differ...

I think I was ready for a change and the Z2 only had the microSD going for it. 

Looking forward to loading a few albums on it!

I believe there will be a major difference, since J3 is bright and sony's house sound signature is warm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back