Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Sep 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #16 of 2,024
Quote:

Yep, thanks and congratulations for being the 1st review!

Hey! Good price there! Have you ever compare it with other Sony LODs like the ones made in Japan (check fujiya-avic)?

I assume it's a capacitative button and not on screen right? Therefore it's kind of impossible, except it's using light bar like in Sony Xperia S

Thanks on the review! I haven't compared to any of the Japanese LODs, but I also have an ALO which was almost 5x the price, and I can hear basically no difference. So I keep the ALO more pristine, and use the Ebay special for everyday duty. 

I'm curious to see what other options are on fujiya-avic, gonna go have a look-see right now....

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #18 of 2,024
I'have switched from X to A865 couple of months ago. A865 sounds fantastic but still doesn't have that "vinylness" of X series. I was immidiately put off by the Z series mainly because of its size and The Android. By looking at your pictures, I can see that its size is almost as big as thge Z series. And also still Android....I wonder why Sony chose to use Android against his own software???.....to compete with Ipod Touch maybe?......

I'm still pissed at Sony for not making basically a sound oriented player similar to X series.....I'm still missing the sound signature of my lovely X series.....

Thanks for the review..

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #19 of 2,024
the WM-F is a lot smaller than the WM-Z, it's more or less X-Series size.... I don't see the problem with Andriod as you only really need it if you're doing stuff on the net apart from that it's standard Sony stock with regard to operation... the WM-X had internet as well only differences was that it didn't have Andriod and didn't sound as good.

Sep 5, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #20 of 2,024
The Z is a fair amount larger:

2 7/8 x 5 3/8 x 7/16 inches

F800 series size:

2 1/4 x 4 5/8 x 3/8 inches

X Series:

2.07 x 3.83 x .41 inches

Quote:
hey what do you think of the screen qaulity? Is the resolution good for the size? 

The screen quality seems to be very good. The demo preview loaded on it looks really nice, with no motion lag and very nice inky blacks. It definitely seems sharper and more contrasty than the X. But I wouldn't want to be using it for movies on a flight. I think the screen is still a bit too small to get immersed in a film properly, and bet the Z would be a better choice if video is going to occupy much of your time with the DAP.

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #23 of 2,024
The screen for current space usage is a bit hard to figure out. There is no graph for how much is currently used... But when connected to the Mac at work, get info shows 29gb for capacity. So I guess apps and system files use about 3gb. 

Yes, if you're going to be cutting it that close, may be best to find something 64gb. It really is a shame Sony doesn't do one that size, or just offer a freakin' card slot.

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #24 of 2,024
looks like the WM-F is for overseas markets because it is not stated for release in Japan... so don't expect a 64gb.

there's always the Z1070
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 7, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #28 of 2,024
Thanks for the review.  I hope to check out the F someday so I can make some comparison to my X, A, and Z.  Not sure that I will ever get the F though given that I prefer the larger screen on the Z and I really need 64 GB capacity on my A867 & Z1070.  The 4" screen makes reading document and surf intenet more doable.  Does the F806 equip with the HDMI output?

Sep 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #29 of 2,024
Yeah, I double-checked my music library size after digging into the capacity issue with the F806, and I found I was actually over 20GB, so I'm pushing less than 5GB left in storage. I have to start being selective.

A 64GB Z imported in from Japan sounds like it would have made sense after all! 

But I'm still enjoying the F, and its form factor and sound.

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #30 of 2,024
Quote:
Yeah, I double-checked my music library size after digging into the capacity issue with the F806, and I found I was actually over 20GB, so I'm pushing less than 5GB left in storage. I have to start being selective.

A 64GB Z imported in from Japan sounds like it would have made sense after all! 

But I'm still enjoying the F, and its form factor and sound.

I have the same problem with my Z1070 the 64gb is not enough.. I went for the extra gb because I wanted to go lossless, I got roughly 200 cd's onto it and about another 150 on my pc, I just swap the albums around when I fancy a change so it's no biggy in truth and I'm pretty sure that I can find something to tolerate listening to with what's on my WM-Z at the time... that said, I'm on the lookout for another Z1070.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back