Sony NWZ-F806 mini review (& F-series player reviews / impressions / discussion)
Jun 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #1,561 of 2,024
Quote:

Aslong as the stock player does on-the-go playlists (does it?) and has an EQ (which I understand it does), I am good! Cant wait for mine to arrive.

It looks like you can do on the go playlists with the latest updage to the firmware (1.11). It's listed in Sony's added list of new features with this firmware (I have the new update, and when listening to a track, it looks like you can indeed select add to playlist, and do it on the go-- but I haven't played around with it yet as I don't really do playlists all that often):

==========================================================================

NWZ-F804/F805/F806 Firmware Update Program Download Service

Article ID:558800(modified 09 May 2013)

[size=medium] What does this download do?
[/size]

For owners of Walkman F series, we offer NWZ-F804/F805/F806 firmware update program to the latest version 1.11.
Please read carefully the following instructions.

Note: This update utility is not necessary if your Walkman has already been updated to firmware version 1.11 by the automatic firmware update function.

Contents of the update
This utility updates the Walkman® player to firmware version 1.11 and provides the following benefits:

1. Enhancement of Media players operation stability
  2. Other functional improvements

Improvements provided by previous updates and included in version 1.11:

1. The DLNA application is added.
  2. The Music player application is enhanced (for example, the playlist creation function is added).
  3. Sound effect functions are improved.

Applicable Models
NWZ-F800Series (NWZ-F804/F805/F806) that have firmware version lower than 1.11.

How to confirm the Model and the Firmware version
Please confirm the Model and the Firmware version from the steps below.

1. Tap the Menu button from the Home screen.
  2. Tap System settings, and About device.

Confirm the Model number and Build number.

Target PC environments

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #1,563 of 2,024
Quote:
FOr those of you that have FLAC and MP3 files, do FLAC songs on the Walkman F sound significantly better than MP3 320? 

does on my WM-Z...
L3000.gif

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #1,564 of 2,024
Quote:

It looks like you can do on the go playlists with the latest updage to the firmware (1.11). It's listed in Sony's added list of new features with this firmware (I have the new update, and when listening to a track, it looks like you can indeed select add to playlist, and do it on the go-- but I haven't played around with it yet as I don't really do playlists all that often):

==========================================================================

NWZ-F804/F805/F806 Firmware Update Program Download Service

Article ID:558800(modified 09 May 2013)

[size=medium] What does this download do?
[/size]

For owners of Walkman F series, we offer NWZ-F804/F805/F806 firmware update program to the latest version 1.11.
Please read carefully the following instructions.

Note: This update utility is not necessary if your Walkman has already been updated to firmware version 1.11 by the automatic firmware update function.

Contents of the update
This utility updates the Walkman® player to firmware version 1.11 and provides the following benefits:

1. Enhancement of Media players operation stability
  2. Other functional improvements

Improvements provided by previous updates and included in version 1.11:

1. The DLNA application is added.
  2. The Music player application is enhanced (for example, the playlist creation function is added).
  3. Sound effect functions are improved.

Applicable Models
NWZ-F800Series (NWZ-F804/F805/F806) that have firmware version lower than 1.11.

How to confirm the Model and the Firmware version
Please confirm the Model and the Firmware version from the steps below.

1. Tap the Menu button from the Home screen.
  2. Tap System settings, and About device.

Confirm the Model number and Build number.

Target PC environments

Quote:

does on my WM-Z...
L3000.gif

AWESOME! Cant wait to get mine.

Jun 16, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #1,567 of 2,024
Yes, if you think CDs sound better than 320 MP3s, than you will think FLACs sound better, because the player sounds as good as hooking up identical headphones directly to a CD player's headphone out jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagellanR14 

FOr those of you that have FLAC and MP3 files, do FLAC songs on the Walkman F sound significantly better than MP3 320?

Jun 16, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #1,568 of 2,024
Quote:
Do Sony IEMs work best with this player, do they have any advantage when used with the Sony Walkman (like Noise Cancellation is only available with Sony headphones or something?)

Noise cancelling is kind of artificial sounding to me.  If you want to cancel outside noise, IEMs with good fit should do for most people.  If you're worried about that, I'd buy the player first and then take it with you earphone shopping, and try it out with different earphones in the shops, if possible.  Otherwise, see what others are using with it.  I use Audio Technica ATH-CK90s with it and to me it sounds great.  But of course, you need to find a fit that matches your budget, music, and taste in sound output.

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #1,569 of 2,024
Pleased to report that I'm finding the Japanese 64gb F807 to sound pretty much identical to the US F806 (if there are any differences, I sure can't hear them in close A/B'ing). Very stoked to have double the storage now, and be able to burn in a lot more of my CDs. It even came with a rubberized case, which I didn't think I'd ever use, but am glad is on it now for finish protection. 

Jun 22, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #1,570 of 2,024
I got mine today and am pleased to report it is amazing! For a high quality PMP it does oh so much more...I have mine running a free theme called espier launcher which makes your walkman run iOS. Now I have my ideal software on my ideal SQ dac. Also, the supplied earphones are quite nice. I may post a more detailed review later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back