Sony NWZ-A15 vs FiiO X1
Mar 11, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #31 of 245
Regarding battery life:

Another thing to keep in mind is the cable connector on the DAPs.
For on-the-go listening, it is more convenient (especially for an android user) to carry around one type of micro USB cable plug, rather than an extra proprietary Sony cable. That means that the DAP/Amp combo can be juiced during the same "charging session" as the smartphone (e.g.: at an airport during travels), rather than have to dig through a carry-on for the various cables. That is a mitigating factor I perceive working for the X1 when it comes to its lesser battery life. 

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #32 of 245

The EU volume limit on Sony DAPs I've owned has also been an issue in my opinion. I appreciate the reasons for a volume limit but I always felt the limit was set too low.

I would be disappointed too if there is a volume limit that cannot be set off, but if I'm not mistaken several owners of NWZ-A15/17 have confirmed that you can deactivate it.

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #33 of 245
I've done some Googling and I've found plenty of people who've said they want to remove the volume limit, but I haven't yet found some instructions on how to do it. That's not to say it can't be done, but it sounds like it might be a hassle to get around.

But more importantly for me is the fact that castleofargh seems to confirm my suspicion that the NWZ-A10 has the usual Sony hiss. I can't understand anyone wanting a "High Resolution" device that produces hiss. For me that's a complete no-no.

Mar 11, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #34 of 245
  I've done some Googling and I've found plenty of people who've said they want to remove the volume limit, but I haven't yet found some instructions on how to do it. That's not to say it can't be done, but it sounds like it might be a hassle to get around.

But more importantly for me is the fact that castleofargh seems to confirm my suspicion that the NWZ-A10 has the usual Sony hiss. I can't understand anyone wanting a "High Resolution" device that produces hiss. For me that's a complete no-no.

-there is the avls(auto limiter) that you can activate if you like. for people using only IEMs it's not a bad idea to avoid bad surprises.
-there is also a beeping warning when you go pass a certain volume setting, but then you just set the volume where you want and won't be bothered again. or maybe if the DAP really shuts down, so after more than a day not using it, I didn't check that as I never actually need to go to those volumes, I rarely pass 10 out of 30 with my IEMs.
-and then when all that is cleared, somebody owning both mentioned something like a 2 volume step difference between the euro version and the other one.
all in all not a drama and people wishing for actual voltage/loudness because they use a not so portable headphone shouldn't buy a sony in the first place. or they will have the proper amp and then it's no issue. people should buy what they need, not what some noob on the web called "the best sounding gear".

and about hiss, I'm with you. I find it ludicrous to see all the money we waste to buy stuff that barely improve signal below -100db(high res, expensive sources...) if at the same time we can hear a hiss clearly when listening to sensitive IEMs on portable gears supposedly made for those very IEMs. I get around that using not so sensitive IEMs with the sony, and I keep the sensitive stuff for the portable amp or the X1. but I perfectly understand that it would be a bummer for many people.

with that idea of hating audible noises, I also automatically reject vinyls, and most tube amps because of how loud the noises and distortions can go. but when I see how many people adore both, I realize that my idea of hifi(best signal reproduction) isn't everyone else's.
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #35 of 245
I have the X1 and A15, and I prefer A15. The instrument detail, separation and dynamics of A15 is amazing. Works well with my LCDs.

Mar 16, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #36 of 245
Did a comparison yesterday and my pick is X1. A15 offers better soundstage and image (*not the X1 is bad either), which can be interpreted as being more detail, but it doesn't offer nearly as tight a control on the IEM I tried. For me, the difference in soundstage / image isn't enough to upset X1's advantage on better power and control. To me, the best aspect of A10 series are aptX and USB DAC support, though not as standalone player.

Mar 16, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #37 of 245
I love my A17 which is the same  the A15 sans volume limiter thingy... yes i agree with @Raziel666 the detail si very beautiful and accurate even for 16/44.1 resolution with many consider (esp. sony marketing dept) "bad" for me is howevwer already good if you have proper mastering/recording bad those lossy stuff as MP3 and ogg and AAC

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #38 of 245
  I love my A17 which is the same  the A15 sans volume limiter thingy... yes i agree with @Raziel666 the detail si very beautiful and accurate even for 16/44.1 resolution with many consider (esp. sony marketing dept) "bad" for me is howevwer already good if you have proper mastering/recording bad those lossy stuff as MP3 and ogg and AAC

wait a minute ! ... the difference between A17 & A15 is only the internal storage 64 vs 16 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 16, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #39 of 245

wait a minute ! ... the difference between A17 & A15 is only the internal storage 64 vs 16 
rolleyes.gif

yes and if you import the uero version the A15 has a eruo-volume limit you'll get trolled by EU

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #40 of 245
it's overall just a few DB difference. it really matters only for people who will need max loudness so not for IEMs, and peope using fullsize headphones may want to get a more power DAP altogether.
I didn't even bother to get a non EU version for the A15 when I knew about the volume limitation for years on all sony DAPs.

Mar 17, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #41 of 245
The problem with the volume limit on Sony DAPs is that it doesn't take in to account differences in volume between source files.

Rock and pop files are usually fine but I have a lot of classical music that is recorded at a lower volume in general, and has a larger dynamic range, so a lot of the quiet passages were virtually impossible to hear.

I don't know why Sony are so anal about the EU volume limit ... I don't know any other manufacturer that takes it so literally.

Mar 17, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #42 of 245
  it's overall just a few DB difference. it really matters only for people who will need max loudness so not for IEMs, and peope using fullsize headphones may want to get a more power DAP altogether.
I didn't even bother to get a non EU version for the A15 when I knew about the volume limitation for years on all sony DAPs.

any EU version limited output in both Sony and Ipod drives me mad !! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 17, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #43 of 245

any EU version limited output in both Sony and Ipod drives me mad !! 
bigsmile_face.gif

I come from a different experience, my first amp, I bought it to be able to lower the volume because the DAP I had at the time was sometimes too loud at volume 1 ^_^. nowadays I have the same thing with my tablet's HO so it's one more reason to use my DAC amp with it.
so for some of my IEMs, I really don't mind a weak output, just like I asked for unity gain on my O2 and bought the UHA760 because of the -12db gain option. so my war is mostly on hiss instead of power.

but for anybody with less sensitive stuff or simply with most headphones, I do understand how it can get on people's nerve to have an ever weaker sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back