Sony NWZ-A15 vs FiiO X1
Mar 25, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #61 of 245
  ive been going back and forth between sony and fiio and I think Im leaning towards the A17.    Battery life, portability, and easy of use are huge for me. 50 hours if you're playing your mp3s? wowza  30-50 hours vs 10-15 hours and still smaller? kind of a no brainer.

i get like 42h with 16/44.1 flac

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #62 of 245
Originally Posted by emba4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sometimes no matter what i do it just wont display album art for some albums no matter how many times i apply it, ive even used sonys own software and still nothing.

I'll explain how I solved this problem on my side. I used Linux to transfer files to my player and noticed that afterwards, of all the files, only files from one album have album-art. Using EasyTag (Win version is also available), I noticed only that one album was tagged differently (using id3v2.3) from the rests i.e. could be older or newer. EasyTag can tag files in either id3v2.3 or id3v2.4. The new version tags file using 2.4 version by default. Change it in the preference (under ID3 Tag Settings) to v2.3. Try it re-saving some of the files and transfer to see if the album-art indeed shows. If they do, you can repeat the process with the rests.

Hope this helps! 

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #64 of 245

any EU version limited output in both Sony and Ipod drives me mad !! 
bigsmile_face.gif

The reason is simple both Sony and Apple try to avoid process costs in case anyone would go the court and say he or she for that matter became deaf due to the use of portable audio.

they're not afraid of being prosecuted, the little half page about the dangers of loud listening in the starting guide is all they need to get covered. "oh but we told them to be careful".
they follow the limit only because it is the law to sell inside european territories.

anyway I get about 12db difference with the X1's max output. that will subjectively sound a little more than twice as loud(10db) as the A15(euro version). and as soon as you use some EQ on the X1 the max voltage is lowered by 6db.

Apr 4, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #65 of 245

any EU version limited output in both Sony and Ipod drives me mad !! 
bigsmile_face.gif

The reason is simple both Sony and Apple try to avoid process costs in case anyone would go the court and say he or she for that matter became deaf due to the use of portable audio.

they're not afraid of being prosecuted, the little half page about the dangers of loud listening in the starting guide is all they need to get covered. "oh but we told them to be careful".
they follow the limit only because it is the law to sell inside european territories.

anyway I get about 12db difference with the X1's max output. that will subjectively sound a little more than twice as loud(10db) as the A15(euro version). and as soon as you use some EQ on the X1 the max voltage is lowered by 6db.

Bought an SPL-measyring app for my phone and put into my MDR-1R's Mics on the iphone are located on top and botton so well at vol. 10 turn out I listen at 45-50dB and at 13 it jumps to 60-66dB

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #67 of 245
Hi guys, I might get the A17, do you think the sound will be better than the one on the samsung note 4? Using IEM (westone W60).

I've not heard the note 4, but i like the sound of my A17 is way better than the fiio x3 1st generation which used a wolfson DAC

May 27, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #68 of 245
My phones is audio technica ESW9.

I am currently still using my old Sony cd walkman....lol.
Planning to get a good quality mp3 player that's at least of Iphone music standards.Well I have iphone 4s now. 
I need the player to be durable and really good music!

Sony A15 seems attractive as I can get a 128gb sd card with 16gb internal memory.
So...Sony or Itouch/ipod? Not sure which is more durable. 
Fiio x1 or Fiiox3 is the latest version? Do they have internal memory?

Please do not recommend me sandisk as my sis has one and the music is crap...with poor functions too.

Does Sony and x1 or x3 (whichever better)  support up to 320kbps mp3 and aac? Or is itunes loseless better?Cause i'm planning to buy music from Itunes so I need AAC format. Anyways, is Itunes or Windows media player a better option to rip songs? AAC or mp3 or loseless version better?

Where do you guys normally store your softcopy? Scare my WD hard disk crash lol. Dont want to keep buying CDs. Sorry for the long post and Thanks!^^

I need clear loud music....not to 'increase so loud for it to be clear'.
My phones impedance is 42 i think. 
Regarding firmware updates, does the mp3 player needs upgrading constantly? Can I keep it for at least 20 years?

May 27, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #70 of 245

Planning to get a good quality mp3 player that's at least of Iphone music standards.Well I have iphone 4s now. 

Sony A15 seems attractive as I can get a 128gb sd card with 16gb internal memory.

Please do not recommend me sandisk as my sis has one and the music is crap...with poor functions too.

Does Sony and x1 or x3 (whichever better)  support up to 320kbps mp3 and aac? Or is itunes loseless better?Cause i'm planning to buy music from Itunes so I need AAC format. Anyways, is Itunes or Windows media player a better option to rip songs? AAC or mp3 or loseless version better?

Where do you guys normally store your softcopy? Scare my WD hard disk crash lol. Dont want to keep buying CDs. Sorry for the long post and Thanks!^^

Regarding firmware updates, does the mp3 player needs upgrading constantly? Can I keep it for at least 20 years?

the sony might be a little weak for an esw9. 0.4v should get you with peaks up to 109db, if you listen to mainly modern stuff with low dynamic it will be fine and you will enjoy it even pretty loudly without any downside on the sound fidelity. but if you're into some jazz or classical stuff or anything with wild dynamic changes, and like to listen a little loud, then the sony might not be enough. we usually aim for 115db and you can't get that with the sony and that headphone.

the FIIO X1 is clearly good enough to drive that headphone with ample headroom and all. from a money to sound point of view it would be a very nice choice. but if you find the functions of a sansa to be poor, you will cry with any fiio player DAP. they have a very minimalistic interface and are not super good at compatibility stuff. so you will probably need to work a little on tags names and stuff like that. so for sound only I would certainly go for the X1 as it is technically the best choice to pair with your headphone without wasting money for no reason. but you should check the forum, read lots of reviews(I made one for both sony A15 and X1 and they show my personal opinion and what I dislike pretty clearly I think ^_^). because you might be very disappointed depending on what you expect those players to be and do for you.

the X3 would have a lot more power than the X1, which would serve zero purpose if you're determined in using only something like the esw9. but if you plan on using some harder to drive headphones, like some non portable stuff, then the X3 would be the only reasonable choice. the user interface is even worst on the X3 than it is on the X1, fair warning.

about lasting 20years, firmwares and stuff are only really there to try correct a few bugs, unless you go for an android device, you don't even need to update anything ever. now 20years with a mp3 player... I have a very serious doubt about that. if only because of the battery that will never last that long. but I also suspect many modern devices to end up broken long before that.
some DAPs have a removable battery, but nothing to say those batteries will still be around in 10years.

just out of curiosity, the sansa you tried was rockboxed or not? because that does change a lot of things. more compatibility, all sorts of EQ including parametric, some crossfeed functions, and a lot of little useless stuff that you may or may not find cool. it will still have a crappy screen and non intuitive buttons, but it's far better than a fiio or a cowon.

anyway good luck with your research.

May 27, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #71 of 245
I've got a euro A10. Volume is fine and dandy at 19-21/30, except every couple of weeks the vol goes down and I have to agree to be a good boy and then just hoik it  up again. I've never heard any hiss, and the way it genuinely up scales 256 and 320 kbps means I don't need to go to 5X the cost of a 2nd hand CD for a hi rez purchase. As my previous Sony Dap gathering dust and moss in my lowest drawer out did the X3 on the above kbps, I feel very confident in recommending it above the X1 and 3. My next point of call would only be an AK 120. Wit dem DSD's.Or perchance a ZX-2. Go no lower than an H3 and yer laughing.

May 27, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #72 of 245

If the A15/17 sounds like the F886 then it would be a great deal. Was not impressed at my friends X3II when I listened to it. I rather stick with my iPhone 4S honestly speaking. 

May 28, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #74 of 245
If the A15/17 sounds like the F886 then it would be a great deal. Was not impressed at my friends X3II when I listened to it. I rather stick with my iPhone 4S honestly speaking. 
You can't go wrong with that one, and or the iPod Touch 5g. Depending on your taste it is better to invest in great in ears like Grado GR10 who sounds wonderfull with the iPhone/ iPhone

May 28, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #75 of 245

You can't go wrong with that one, and or the iPod Touch 5g. Depending on your taste it is better to invest in great in ears like Grado GR10 who sounds wonderfull with the iPhone/ iPhone

all iRelated sounds bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back