SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Dec 18, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #7,516 of 7,541
I have the A15 and would like to get Senn Momentum 3 Wireless which has Bluetooth 5.1 and NFC. Will I have any problems because of the fact that the A15 has Bluetooth version 3.0?
You should have no problems. 3.0 might not be as stable so there can be more drops but more with earphones and true wireless. With a headphone you should not have any issue. I had the A17 and Cowon DAP that are both BT3.0 and even used with a Senn, the HD250BT, and had no issues.

Dec 18, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #7,518 of 7,541
Thank you for your helpful post jant71!

What about NFC? Would it be a recommended option or it's not as good as Bluetooth? (I've never used wireless headphones so far).
NFC just communicates between the devices and turns the headphones on and off by placing the player next to them(in the NFC area of the headphones). Kind of a gimmick and only a bit useful if your phones are annoying or difficult to press the button or have to hold it for 3 seconds but if they turn on and connect with a quick press there is not much difference.

Actually I take that back some as I think it will activate the BT on the Sony if it is off. I would have it set to auto on so not much difference but if you turn the BT on and off then NFC comes in handy more.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #7,519 of 7,541
NFC is just an option where you pair the headphone with the DAP by putting them almost against one another. As @jant71 said, NFC is nothing bad, but also not necessarily useful depending on the devices used and if you stick to using the same.

The A16 is really not great for BT IMO(weak signal). It works, but almost anything else nowadays will do much better in term of distance and keeping the signal up. From my crap review in 2014(wow, 7 years and still my main DAP, that's some nice return on investment ).
Bluetooth:
several settings including APTX. it can be set to activate with NFC or to simply always look for a device on startup. but in practice I use a cellphone instead because depending on the device, just having a big chunk of castleofargh in-between is enough to cut the signal.

Dec 19, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #7,523 of 7,541
Granted that I'm going to have the DAP near me whenever I'll be using it with the wireless headphones, will there still be droupouts?
Yes, when the DAP is in the pocket of my trousers, it's enough distance to get dropouts.

Maybe it gets better when you put the DAP in a shirt pocket, so it's closer to the receiver.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #7,525 of 7,541
I just picked up an ifi hipdac and the cable to connect it to my a17 (the legit Sony cable).
Sweet mother does the battery go dead fast. Is that normal when using the Sony as a source?
Yes lasts like 9 hours using the sony cable. I use it with my Oppo HA-2.

Same dor the battery of my WM1A it goes dead also in 9h

Jan 27, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #7,526 of 7,541
Yes lasts like 9 hours using the sony cable. I use it with my Oppo HA-2.

Same dor the battery of my WM1A it goes dead also in 9h
I never actually timed it, but I'd say I get 6hr. or less. It's almost like a race to see what dies first the A17 or the hipdac
You have any issues swapping sample rates? When I use the Sensme function (my fav. part of these Sonys BTW), if it switches from LR to HR it distorts badly. I just need to pause/resume playback to fix it, but I'm looking to find out if it's the Sony or hipdac that's the issue

Jan 28, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #7,527 of 7,541
I never actually timed it, but I'd say I get 6hr. or less. It's almost like a race to see what dies first the A17 or the hipdac
You have any issues swapping sample rates? When I use the Sensme function (my fav. part of these Sonys BTW), if it switches from LR to HR it distorts badly. I just need to pause/resume playback to fix it, but I'm looking to find out if it's the Sony or hipdac that's the issue
I havent experienced this with WM1A when swotching sample rate, nor woth my A25, tought did not use sensme that extensively (i t wted on normal music playback).

Right now theyre both (1A & A25) are aitting on a drawer while i am using my desktop rig, but ill try it later on both WM-port walkmans

Jan 28, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #7,528 of 7,541
Any active DSP will tend to hit hard on the battery(some cut the battery life in half). If it's not what makes yours last less, maybe the battery is just tired.

Jan 28, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #7,529 of 7,541
Any active DSP will tend to hit hard on the battery(some cut the battery life in half). If it's not what makes yours last less, maybe the battery is just tired.
I think any DSP will be auto-disabled for digital out, but regardless I don't use any "sound enhancements".
Your point about the battery being tired is probably valid - I bought the A17 used. Has anybody tried a battery replacement in the A1x/A2x devices? I've found places that sell compatible batteries, don't know how much of a PITA it would be to change it though - or even if the replacement batteries are any good to begin with.

I havent experienced this with WM1A when swotching sample rate, nor woth my A25, tought did not use sensme that extensively (i t wted on normal music playback).

Right now theyre both (1A & A25) are aitting on a drawer while i am using my desktop rig, but ill try it later on both WM-port walkmans
It's when the sample rate changes during shuffled play. Really not a biggie TBH

Jan 28, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #7,530 of 7,541
I think any DSP will be auto-disabled for digital out, but regardless I don't use any "sound enhancements".
Your point about the battery being tired is probably valid - I bought the A17 used. Has anybody tried a battery replacement in the A1x/A2x devices? I've found places that sell compatible batteries, don't know how much of a PITA it would be to change it though - or even if the replacement batteries are any good to begin with.

It's when the sample rate changes during shuffled play. Really not a biggie TBH
On fool thing of having an ext rnal DAC, is that you can wrap your DSD64 files in a 24/176.4 FLAC and send these to Ifi hip DAC as you were playing a normal flac on the A10/A20 . This is known as DSD DoP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back