SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Jun 25, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #7,066 of 7,541
  After reading this review I'm worried about battery longevity

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R8AY7JHSI90II/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00OCJRX8C

has anyone had their battery completely die on them or hold a shorter charge?

Hello, i've got two first batch units and the batteries are still ok.
This guy is not lucky for two reasons, the defective batterie and the manufacturer very bad mentality (they are all the same when they are as big as Sony)

You should try to open it and try to find technical informations on the battery, then source a new battery.

Jun 25, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #7,067 of 7,541
  After reading this review I'm worried about battery longevity

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R8AY7JHSI90II

has anyone had their battery completely die on them or hold a shorter charge?

I've had mine since the month they came out (nov '14 iirc) and it's still working fine (have always had 'battery care' mode enabled as well). This is a problem with a lot of modern electronic devices though, particularly small/compact ones- If it is a major concern its probably better to stick with a devices that use removable batteries or are cheaper to replace.

I have not attempted on the walkman but often it is not so difficult as the author supposes to change batteries on these types of devices- I have done similar repairs to a Sansa Clip and a Kindle. I wonder if the reviewer didn't consider taking it to a normal gadget repair place, sometimes they can locate a suitable generic replacement battery in this type of situation.

Jun 25, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #7,068 of 7,541
I had an issue with my battery recently where close to full charge the battery indicator flashed and turned off after about 5-10 seconds. I fully charged it and it happened again, then I let it run down until the indicator flashed, then fully charged it again - same thing happened.
I have had mine for almost 2 years with maybe 1 hour use every second day on average. I was really disappointed and was eyeing up a replacement when gerelmx shared his experience with another gadget: discharge the battery totally ie. keep pushing a button until the flashing indicator disappears, then fully charge = reset battery.
I don't know if this is the same circumstances for the Amazon reviewer, but it could have turned out to be an unneeded spend for me. Big thanks to gerelmx again (sorry, don't know how to highlight your name) 

Jun 25, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #7,069 of 7,541
  I had an issue with my battery recently where close to full charge the battery indicator flashed and turned off after about 5-10 seconds. I fully charged it and it happened again, then I let it run down until the indicator flashed, then fully charged it again - same thing happened.
I have had mine for almost 2 years with maybe 1 hour use every second day on average. I was really disappointed and was eyeing up a replacement when gerelmx shared his experience with another gadget: discharge the battery totally ie. keep pushing a button until the flashing indicator disappears, then fully charge = reset battery.
I don't know if this is the same circumstances for the Amazon reviewer, but it could have turned out to be an unneeded spend for me. Big thanks to gerelmx again (sorry, don't know how to highlight your name) 

No prob, but Glad it is helpful

Jun 26, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #7,070 of 7,541
... now you know ...

If you regulary discharge your battery at 100%, it really harms the battery.
If you battery stay for a wile at 100% discharge, it really harms the battery a lot if it don't kill it directly.

Jun 26, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #7,071 of 7,541
Reduced battery life

When I first bought my A17 I had it paired with the Fiio E11k (about 15 hours battery life) and then upgraded to the E12A (about 20 hours battery life).  Because there was significant difference in battery life between the A17 and either amp I never bothered worrying about battery life as I never charged both at the same time.  Then my E12A died and I sold my E11K and got the Q1 (30 hour battery life amp only).  The first time I used the Q1 and A17 together I fully charged them both.  As I listen to mostly 16 bit flac and a few 320 kbps mp3's I should be getting somewhere between 30 to 40 hours battery life based on Sony's estimates on my A17.  When the low battery warning came up on the A17 the Q1 was still going strong and lasted another 7 hours before the low battery flashing started on the Q1 with the Q1 running on high gain. 

I play my A17 completely flat with no eq settings and all enhancements turned off.  I have my A17 volume set at 24/30 using HO,  I know Sony estimates battery life with an average volume setting so I am guessing around 18/30 so there should be some decline in battery life per charge based on my higher volume setting and of course batter care reduces another 10%.  I would still be hoping to get around 30 hours and I am getting closer to 22 or 23 hours.  I have had the battery care turned on since I bought the A17 back in November 2014.  It appears there has been a loss in battery life in the roughly 19 months since I bought the A17.

I tried removing the microsd card from my A17 and plugging it into an SD Card adapter and plugged it into a card reader.  The card reader shows up in Media Go but when I tried to add songs to the card I was denied access.  I also tried copying songs directly from windows explorer with no luck.  I formatted the card in the A17 so it was formatted in exFat.  I really wish there was a NO CHARGE option on the A17 so I could avoid the battery charging every time I want to add tracks to my player to reduce battery usage.  Now I wait until the A17 needs recharging before I add new tracks so I can add tracks while it charges.

I have never tried letting the battery drain fully before re-charging it.  I am thinking that the next time I fully charge the A17 battery I will reset the player, turn off Battery Care and let it drain fully.  Then fully charge it, turn battery care back on then see if that affects the battery life.  My warranty expires this November so if the battery dies I hope it happens before the warranty expires.  

As for replacing the battery yourself most major manufacturers don't make it easy to do.  I have done it on other devices with mixed results.  Often it requires you to unsolder the old battery and solder in a new one with minimal space to work.  Sourcing batteries can also be difficult and it may not arrive ready to be soldered in place.  I would not attempt it unless the unit is out of warranty.   I have heard of people purchasing a new unit (if still available) and swapping the battery from the new unit with the old one and then return the new one as defective.  Again not something I would ever try because if you get caught then you are out of pocket for two units and you could end up damaging both.

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #7,072 of 7,541
I found this at Indonesia's Postel website

https://sertifikasi.postel.go.id/aplikasi/index?key=eqp_name&value=walkman

A30 series?
Interesting 
blink.gif

Jun 29, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #7,075 of 7,541
  Touchscreen and android-based? That are very discouraging rumours..
Any other rumours like ZX200?

Last thing world needs is another touchscreen & Android dap, but I guess something like that could be intended more as a successor to the F-800 Walkmen?

I still haven't found a satisfactory upgrade to my A17 after trying 4 or 5 DAP, I shoud probably just give-in to zx100- I know it's petty, but I just can't bring myself to get over the missing podcast function
confused_face.gif

Jun 29, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #7,076 of 7,541
100% agree. Also tending to upgrade to the ZX100, but I would miss the Podcast-function. Happy they stripped off the photo and video function for the ZX100, but Podcast was important and extremely convenient for me.

Comapred to Questyle QP1R, Opus #1, DX80, Cayin N5 the ZX100 still offers the best package for me. And it works right out of the box unlike most other DAPs.

But I am not in a hurry, let's see what the A30-Series or hopefully a ZX200 would have to offer....

Streaming is not an option if you appreciate music, it's only an option if you just consume music.

Jun 29, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #7,077 of 7,541
The world is shifting towards music streaming, unfortunately, hence the rising number of Android touchscreen based DAPs.

Jun 29, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #7,078 of 7,541
I wouldn't go for a sony without the independent podcast section. I've been used to this for years and really love it.
but I could certainly do with a lower hiss/lower impedance, and if possible, a stronger bluetooth signal. right now I'm using a little crap cellphone I bought exclusively for BT usage, because with the A15 I can block the signal with my butt :'(   it's not like BT is most of my usage, but I would see an improvement there as a significant +.

Quote:
  100% agree. Also tending to upgrade to the ZX100, but I would miss the Podcast-function. Happy they stripped off the photo and video function for the ZX100, but Podcast was important and extremely convenient for me.

Comapred to Questyle QP1R, Opus #1, DX80, Cayin N5 the ZX100 still offers the best package for me. And it works right out of the box unlike most other DAPs.

But I am not in a hurry, let's see what the A30-Series or hopefully a ZX200 would have to offer....

Streaming is not an option if you appreciate music, it's only an option if you just consume music.

why?

Jun 29, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #7,079 of 7,541
Streaming just downloads the same types of files we have on disk in ordered increments- idk how that make music unappreciable
blink.gif

Jun 29, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #7,080 of 7,541

I have all flac and I am still old shool syncing my library every now and then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back