SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Dec 22, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #6,481 of 7,541

Lol not really. I'm convinced the "difference" I hear is all in my head. How do I know? I did an AB test with a 320kbps mp3 compressed from my 24/96 file. I only got 8/10 right and this was with EXTREMELY careful listening and a song I knew really well. But I still listen to hi-res so that's that :))

Hi, this diagram shows an example of the difference between (8), 16 and 24 bit depth. If you can't hear the difference, does not mean the difference isn't there. 
In realistic terms it will matter what kind of song you are listening too. For example, if your trial track is highly compressed heavy metal with lots of distortion, no, I don't think you will hear the difference.

My dad thinks that way sadly... it is not when i started investigating and it is not true that the output is a "step-ladder" no DAC of todays produces such a wave form

and to make it more clearly the bit depth e.g 16 or 24 or 32 wahtever increases the loudness range e.g dB. The sampling rate e.g 44.1, 96 192 etc increases the captured sonic information and i think is what matters most

to give an idea 16-bits max loudness is 96dB a classical orchestra with pure real instruments max peak is arround 88dB... many may argue a rock concert surpasses 16 bit loudness. rock concerts are most often aided by loudspeakers which is unfair.

24 bit max loudness is like 144dB i think this is like a jet taking off at 1m from you

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #6,482 of 7,541
to give an idea 16-bits max loudness is 96dB a classical orchestra with pure real instruments max peak is arround 88dB... many may argue a rock concert surpasses 16 bit loudness. rock concerts are most often aided by loudspeakers which is unfair.

24 bit max loudness is like 144dB i think this is like a jet taking off at 1m from you

To be precise, 96 dB is the dynamic range, not the loudness. It's the difference between the most silent and the loudest part in a track. I don't think in a live rock recording there will be veeery silent passages :)))) As far as loudness goes, you can find the biggest speakers and a monster amp and go wild even with an 8 Bit rock concert recording. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #6,483 of 7,541

My dad thinks that way sadly... it is not when i started investigating and it is not true that the output is a "step-ladder" no DAC of todays produces such a wave form

and to make it more clearly the bit depth e.g 16 or 24 or 32 wahtever increases the loudness range e.g dB. The sampling rate e.g 44.1, 96 192 etc increases the captured sonic information and i think is what matters most

Hi. I never said the wave form would look like this. I am trying to show you an example of how there is more information in a 24 bit.The dynamic range will improve, but once again this is missing the point. If you want to argue, you should pick on the noise floor reduction

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #6,484 of 7,541
  Hi. I never said the wave form would look like this. I am trying to show you an example of how there is more information in a 24 bit.The dynamic range will improve, but once again this is missing the point. If you want to argue, you should pick on the noise floor reduction

There is so much more information in the world around us than what we can perceive with our five senses, but we don't go and build cameras that can capture ultraviolet light. The simple, scientifically sound and provable fact is that 44.1/16 standard covers what ours ears can hear. Period. Apart from that, 24 Bit downloads are a gimmick, the latest fashion audiophile snake oil and I cannot believe how Neil Young got involved in this rip off scheme....  

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #6,485 of 7,541
  There is so much more information in the world around us than what we can perceive with our five senses, but we don't go and build cameras that can capture ultraviolet light. The simple, scientifically sound and provable fact is that 44.1/16 standard covers what ours ears can hear. Period. Apart from that, 24 Bit downloads are a gimmick, the latest fashion audiophile snake oil and I cannot believe how Neil Young got involved in this rip off scheme....  

That's it, well said.

Industry should be pushing better masters with more dynamic range instead of this 24bit marketing.

The point is that it is much easier to sell a "HD Player" than selling a well mastered CD album with improved dynamic range (16@44.1).

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #6,492 of 7,541

Thanks for the feedback on the H2's, no big deal on the MDR-100AAP as they didn't work for me anyway. 

How are the H2's for noise isolation and sound leakage?   One of my biggest negatives on the MDR-100AAP  was poor isolation.  If the H2's isolate reasonably well they may be my next headphones.

I'll have to take them outta the house to test isolation properly, but with the E12 on about 60%, I can't hear myself clapping loudly in front of my face while playing anything heavy from Siamese Dream, which is quite a feat. I'll have to get back to you on leakage, but that's not something that concerns me in my daily life at all, honestly.

I've listened to Vespertine, Siamese Dream, A Girl Called Eddy, Blizzard of Ozz, and Radiohead's Kid A with the A15 > E12 > H2 combo, and all I can say is that I'm very happy with how things are sounding right now.

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #6,494 of 7,541

I'll have to take them outta the house to test isolation properly, but with the E12 on about 60%, I can't hear myself clapping loudly in front of my face while playing anything heavy from Siamese Dream, which is quite a feat. I'll have to get back to you on leakage, but that's not something that concerns me in my daily life at all, honestly.

I've listened to Vespertine, Siamese Dream, A Girl Called Eddy, Blizzard of Ozz, and Radiohead's Kid A with the A15 > E12 > H2 combo, and all I can say is that I'm very happy with how things are sounding right now.

Thanks for the update, store I like to audition product at just got these in stock so I will try and do an audition soon

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #6,495 of 7,541
Not going back to fiio
biggrin.gif

So you aren't going to give Fiio's newer amps a shot!  I have the E11K and E12A and they both improve my listening experience with my A17 and headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back