SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Sep 23, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #5,626 of 7,541
  Anyone compared the A15/17 to the Fiio X3 first gen?
Are they similar or is Sony downgrade?
Is it easy to search for artist using the arrow keys?

I

IMO a sony downgrade, the soundstage is smaller and is warmer and less detailed, has some weird psotioning quircks,like violins, flutes and female voices sounding as they were floating above me.

The UI is a nightmare, let alone the button placement

stick with sony DAP as you can but yeah fiio has more power than the sony

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #5,627 of 7,541

I don't get what you're trying to say in your first line.
second, I have that measured somewhere but I can't find it(my computer is a mess). but I seem to remember that I had about +9db for +3 setting on the walkman.

You mean +9 DB for three notches? 
What I mean is, why 2.5 and 6.3 KHz and not 4 KHz? Who decides the frequency range and based on what? (Are these standard values for a 5 band EQ?) 
Sorry, what I really meant was, it would be a good idea to be able to boast 4 KHz about 4 - 5 db in my case for example. 

oh well, they're not particularly better or worse than round number. 2.5khz is well place for any mid change, but 3khz would have worked too.  6.3... I would think better to have a little before or a little after, but they must have a reason.  to me, as a massive EQ user, 5 bands can be enough only when I can set the values and Q for each band. cowon and anything with rockbox were always nice for that as a dumbDAP(non android stuff)). how they're implemented in most players, they're close to useless to me, sometimes the numbers on the sony happen to work out, sometime they dont, people always found sony's EQ to be good, I never had that opinion, only the bass boost is well done as a general purpose setting. I hate android on a DAP, but simply to get a good parametric EQ, I often wonder if I should go for it.

I don't get what you're trying to say in your first line.
second, I have that measured somewhere but I can't find it(my computer is a mess). but I seem to remember that I had about +9db for +3 setting on the walkman.

You mean +9 DB for three notches? 
What I mean is, why 2.5 and 6.3 KHz and not 4 KHz? Who decides the frequency range and based on what? (Are these standard values for a 5 band EQ?) 
Sorry, what I really meant was, it would be a good idea to be able to boast 4 KHz about 4 - 5 db in my case for example. 

I think the new EQ will be available in the zx100 will have more values, i think i saw notches from -10 or -15 to +10 or +15, dont remember the bands

android walkmans and I imagine smartphones, already have a better than 3 steps EQ. the ZX100 really seems to try and create bridge between both kinds of DAPs.

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #5,628 of 7,541

I

IMO a sony downgrade, the soundstage is smaller and is warmer and less detailed, has some weird psotioning quircks,like violins, flutes and female voices sounding as they were floating above me.

The UI is a nightmare, let alone the button placement

stick with sony DAP as you can but yeah fiio has more power than the sony

Thanks
Only thing I can find better for under 600 is X5.

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #5,630 of 7,541
  oh well, they're not particularly better or worse than round number. 2.5khz is well place for any mid change, but 3khz would have worked too.  6.3... I would think better to have a little before or a little after, but they must have a reason.  to me, as a massive EQ user, 5 bands can be enough only when I can set the values and Q for each band. cowon and anything with rockbox were always nice for that as a dumbDAP(non android stuff)). how they're implemented in most players, they're close to useless to me, sometimes the numbers on the sony happen to work out, sometime they dont, people always found sony's EQ to be good, I never had that opinion, only the bass boost is well done as a general purpose setting. I hate android on a DAP, but simply to get a good parametric EQ, I often wonder if I should go for it.

android walkmans and I imagine smartphones, already have a better than 3 steps EQ. the ZX100 really seems to try and create bridge between both kinds of DAPs.

Hmm, thanks. Let me try my Z1070 which is android based to see if the EQ is better. 

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #5,631 of 7,541

I concur. As for me, Sony is downgrade only in output power and durability. X3 is made like a tank, and has much more power. If you will using Sony with easy driven IEMs, it will be better. A10 has more black background = better instrumental separation, same level of details, but generally much more exciting and musical sound. Also it has much better bass. 
X3 will drive much more phones, that is why generally will be a feeling that he sounds better. Details are not so beautiful like Sony produces. 
If you are planning to use player with easy to drive IEMs - Sony. Headphones and hungry IEMs - Fiio. 
Fiio is not bad at all. 

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #5,632 of 7,541
  I concur. As for me, Sony is downgrade only in output power and durability. X3 is made like a tank, and has much more power. If you will using Sony with easy driven IEMs, it will be better. A10 has more black background = better instrumental separation, same level of details, but generally much more exciting and musical sound. Also it has much better bass. 
X3 will drive much more phones, that is why generally will be a feeling that he sounds better. Details are not so beautiful like Sony produces. 
If you are planning to use player with easy to drive IEMs - Sony. Headphones and hungry IEMs - Fiio. 
Fiio is not bad at all. 

I already got the X3 first gen,
It is very good but navigating to artists with a lot of tracks takes too long.
Plus the battery life is quite bad. 
I only use IEMs.
Currently using Fidue A73.

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #5,633 of 7,541
Fiio is not bad at all. 

For Classical music i do prefer the sony, inmense details as you say, big soundstage too and gets rid of at least me or dont know if some other fiio x3I noted "floating instruments"

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #5,635 of 7,541
i have both fiio x3 and walkman A-15 (HK version) ... i mainly use SE535 ... walkman is better .. wider sound stage  and more neutral and better bass impact and accuracy after about 200 hours of usage ! ... i only keeping my x3 for its line out capability to see how does it perform with my future quality amp ( powerful line out and the added battery life to the x3 when using an external amp is a plus already )

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #5,636 of 7,541
  i have both fiio x3 and walkman A-15 (HK version) ... i mainly use SE535 ... walkman is better .. wider sound stage  and more neutral and better bass impact and accuracy after about 200 hours of usage ! ... i only keeping my x3 for its line out capability to see how does it perform with my future quality amp ( powerful line out and the added battery life to the x3 when using an external amp is a plus already )

So you get more battery on the X3 if you use a external DAC?

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #5,637 of 7,541

So you get more battery on the X3 if you use a external DAC?

yes using line-out i get arrounf 20h

Sep 23, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #5,639 of 7,541

Users who are viewing this thread

Back