SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Sep 3, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #5,464 of 7,541
  Wondering if the A10 will get a firmware update to add Hi-res Equalizer?

that would definitely be nice for the a10

at first i thought you were asking if the a20 had this option (hence my edit) which it does. 

it would also be great if they updated the equalizer for the a10 where you can gauge between -10 and +10 like the
F & ZX series instead of being limited to -3 to +3

also, exactly what is it sony has against monkey's audio ape ?

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #5,465 of 7,541
  No, it's good! So I don't have to buy it! A very wallet-friendly approach from Sony!

+1

I will think about (for a split second) buying another walkman if Sony comes up with something that has an industry standard (+5V I assume) LO level with the same battery life and the same size as A10 OR has an amp section that can drive HD 800 with the same battery life and the same size. 
Fat chance 
tongue_smile.gif

Sony is trying to become a player in the 24 Bit game and I couldn't care less.

Sep 4, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #5,467 of 7,541
I have noticed that some of my music doesn't play and I get a message on the screen saying "file format is not supported" I have checked the tracks that aren't playing and the only thing that they seem to have in common is that they are wma. I double checked the specs on the sony website and wma is supported. Anyone else having problems playing this format?

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #5,468 of 7,541
I have noticed that some of my music doesn't play and I get a message on the screen saying "file format is not supported" I have checked the tracks that aren't playing and the only thing that they seem to have in common is that they are wma. I double checked the specs on the sony website and wma is supported. Anyone else having problems playing this format?

Mine wouldn't play WMA lossless convert to Flac/alac

Sep 4, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #5,469 of 7,541
So - one quick question about the A series DAPs - I didn't see it mentioned on the pages here I've gone through and have not found a definitive answer elsewhere:

Does the A10 / 15 / 17 support gapless playback for lossy files?  Most of my rips are 256 or 320 mp3s (which is good enough for me for my portable device).  I'm looking to switch to an A17 (or possibly wait a bit for the A2X players) from my X3 for my portable DAP, mainly because I like the Walkman's UI, UX, size and battery life much better.  But if the Walkman can't do gapless playback, that might be a potential dealbreaker.

Thanks.

Sep 4, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #5,470 of 7,541
  So - one quick question about the A series DAPs - I didn't see it mentioned on the pages here I've gone through and have not found a definitive answer elsewhere:

Does the A10 / 15 / 17 support gapless playback for lossy files?  

The answer here is: maybe! It definitely does not with my (few) MP3 files. The gap is extremely short, but noticeable and therefore annoying.
However, Sony claims that it works if the files are ripped with their MediaGo software which I cannot verify as I have never tried that. And I totally agree that actually in 2015 it is ridiculous that any player has issues with gapless. However, I have so few MP3- or AAC-albums where that matters (maybe 7 or 8 out of approx 1,000) that I decided to tolerate it.

Gapless works absolutely fine with FLAC.

Sep 4, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #5,471 of 7,541

use a program like dbpoweramp to check if they are wma lossless if so, then convert to FLAC or apple lossless

Does the A10 / 15 / 17 support gapless playback for lossy files?  Most of my rips are 256 or 320 mp3s (which is good enough for me for my portable device).  I'm looking to switch to an A17 (or possibly wait a bit for the A2X players) from my X3 for my portable DAP, mainly because I like the Walkman's UI, UX, size and battery life much better.  But if the Walkman can't do gapless playback, that might be a potential dealbreaker.

Thanks.

thank god i have flac now, gapless works like a charm

Sep 4, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #5,472 of 7,541

This is from the manual:

"(*2) Copyright protected WMA files cannot be played back."

Sep 4, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #5,474 of 7,541

Same here. WMA lossless is not supported. I have all my classical music collection in WMA lossless.
Luckily, you can convert them to FLAC and and transfer the FLAC files to your A10 without modifying the original files all with one click using MediaGo. You don't have to re-rip your CD's or use a third party software to convert them to FLAC. 
Just let me know if you can't figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back