SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Aug 19, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #5,371 of 7,541
also Clie couldn't prove there is no difference, because you can only prove differences. not the absence of it.
biggrin.gif
  not much relevant but I like that and where the burden of proof lies in a debate to always be clear. makes things a lot more effective.

IMO the poor guys ended up briefed by marketing about what they could and couldn't say, and the key flattering points they had to talk about. mustn't be all that fun when you're an actual engineer.

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #5,372 of 7,541
  The Sony A series always have some sort of background hissing noise

I never noted a single hiss not even with a dead silence, and yes that is impressive because older walkmans were hisst enough

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #5,374 of 7,541
http://www.head-fi.org/t/777273/whats-that-idiot-castleofargh-always-talking-about-a-dap-hissing-i-cant-hear-a-thing
this topic is going to save me so much writing in the future.
biggrin.gif

when I'm general of the world I'll make it mandatory to read it, but until then, sadly, you don't have to. also it's boring like everything I post.
ph34r.gif

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #5,375 of 7,541
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/777273/whats-that-idiot-castleofargh-always-talking-about-a-dap-hissing-i-cant-hear-a-thing
this topic is going to save me so much writing in the future.
biggrin.gif

when I'm general of the world I'll make it mandatory to read it, but until then, sadly, you don't have to. also it's boring like everything I post.
ph34r.gif

You could make it your sig :p

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #5,376 of 7,541
Well, now I'm impressed with this little device.

I paired it up with my ATH-M50S and it is SMOOOOOTH.

Listened to "EVERYBODY DIGS BILL EVANS", a vinyl rip to 24/96 FLAC.

It's like playing an LP through some Dynaco A-25's. Very 1970's Hi-Fi, thick, not airy, but truly pleasurable musically.

I'm sure if I try it with a less bassy set of phones I'll get a different experience. But this is wonderful for now.

And the playback level was only at 18.

Thanks for all your opinions on this forum. You helped me find an excellent listening experience.

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #5,378 of 7,541
OK, I had the myringotomy operation. I hope my ears heal soon and I can enjoy music as before. Now that there are two little holes with tubes inside them on my eardrums, my open-back headphones sounds OK but my IEM's pressure is not enough to vibrate them properly and all IEM's sound like $5 crap!
I need some closed-back budget (let's say around $200) headphones to go with my  A17 to use in the library.
Any suggestions? 

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #5,379 of 7,541
Good to hear! Bummer about IEMs, though.

There are maybe too many options lol- I can vouch for DT 1350 or HD25-1-ii  being OK out of non-volume-restricted A17, a little better w/ an amp, if you don't mind strong-clamping on-ear types.
It drove Momentum on-ear too, the sound on those things made me kinda nauseous though.

Only closed over-ear I've tried w/ A17 was DT770/32ohm, advise against without an amp.

Aug 21, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #5,380 of 7,541
  OK, I had the myringotomy operation. I hope my ears heal soon and I can enjoy music as before. Now that there are two little holes with tubes inside them on my eardrums, my open-back headphones sounds OK but my IEM's pressure is not enough to vibrate them properly and all IEM's sound like $5 crap!
I need some closed-back budget (let's say around $200) headphones to go with my  A17 to use in the library.
Any suggestions? 

first thing first, is the pain/pressure gone?  do you have to do something special for some time? like use earplugs, not talk, refrain from having sex etc
biggrin.gif
?
what's the effect with IEMs, you lose bass or does it feel like there is more to it?
anyway using headphones is indeed the most obvious solution. do you notice an obvious change in signature even from the open back headphones?

maybe a very stupid idea, but how about contacting 1984ears to ask them if they believe the realsound adel IEMs would retain signature for you? if I was you I would mail them to ask, and then see if they would be willing to send you demo for science. you case could be cool advertising for them if it actually could help your situation, which I really do not know TBH.

oh and of course the real important question, will you now be able to very slowly "exhale" smoke from your ears?
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #5,381 of 7,541
Well, sex is OK masturbation is forbidden  
biggrin.gif

All I need to do now is to protect my ears from water by wearing earplugs while I shower. No biggie. 
I guess bass response is most dependent  on ear drum vibration. Even with headphones the bass is less pronounced when you have tubes so small (1.4 mm). But it's a subtle difference. Only on really low frequencies (don't ask me what Hz.) the mids and treble are now better then pre--operation with headphones.  
So naturally with IEM's the bass goes out of the window altogether. You can hear the mids and treble, but it's like there's no texture, it sounds very very lifeless. (I know not very scientific a definition but I cannot explain) It's like some frequencies are totally AWOL and others are all at the same volume! 
The healing will take long though. My doctor told me that he will remove the tubes after 6 months (yes months). The tubes are there to equalize the air pressure which is actually the eustachian tube's job. But when there is a dysfunction, they don't open up as they should and the result is hearing loss and tinnitus. It's been 13 days since the operation and the problem with my left ear was solved completely on the third day. My right ear is still trying to adjust but it's getting better every day. 

It's a tempting thought but I don't think they will be persuaded that there is a big market for people in my situation. "The best post-myringotomy audiophile grade IEM's" Hmm, their marketing team won't be trilled. 
biggrin.gif

Again a tempting thought but smoking from my ears might cause some complications
biggrin.gif

Ah, sorry you meant smoke coming out of my ears. Yeah that would be cool I wouldn't mind the complications 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 21, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #5,383 of 7,541
  Well, sex is OK masturbation is forbidden  
biggrin.gif

All I need to do now is to protect my ears from water by wearing earplugs while I shower. No biggie. 
I guess bass response is most dependent  on ear drum vibration. Even with headphones the bass is less pronounced when you have tubes so small (1.4 mm). But it's a subtle difference. Only on really low frequencies (don't ask me what Hz.) the mids and treble are now better then pre--operation with headphones.  
So naturally with IEM's the bass goes out of the window altogether. You can hear the mids and treble, but it's like there's no texture, it sounds very very lifeless. (I know not very scientific a definition but I cannot explain) It's like some frequencies are totally AWOL and others are all at the same volume! 
The healing will take long though. My doctor told me that he will remove the tubes after 6 months (yes months). The tubes are there to equalize the air pressure which is actually the eustachian tube's job. But when there is a dysfunction, they don't open up as they should and the result is hearing loss and tinnitus. It's been 13 days since the operation and the problem with my left ear was solved completely on the third day. My right ear is still trying to adjust but it's getting better every day. 

It's a tempting thought but I don't think they will be persuaded that there is a big market for people in my situation. "The best post-myringotomy audiophile grade IEM's" Hmm, their marketing team won't be trilled. 
biggrin.gif

Again a tempting thought but smoking from my ears might cause some complications
biggrin.gif

Ah, sorry you meant smoke coming out of my ears. Yeah that would be cool I wouldn't mind the complications 
tongue_smile.gif

Hope you get well soon  i had a similar experience when got my four wisdom teeth extracted, no chili food, no potato crisps, avoid hard brushing of teeth damn damn LOL

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #5,384 of 7,541
by the way ... i know i said before but i am really enjoying my A-10 with se535 ... it is really great specially after +200 hours of burning in .... caps burning in or brain burning in doesn't matter which is right ! .. ( i believe in burning in caps by the way
rolleyes.gif
 ) ... but i am enjoying it more now 

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #5,385 of 7,541
  Good to hear! Bummer about IEMs, though.

There are maybe too many options lol- I can vouch for DT 1350 or HD25-1-ii  being OK out of non-volume-restricted A17, a little better w/ an amp, if you don't mind strong-clamping on-ear types.
It drove Momentum on-ear too, the sound on those things made me kinda nauseous though.

Only closed over-ear I've tried w/ A17 was DT770/32ohm, advise against without an amp.

A17 has no problem with driving my 40 Ohms headphones. DT 1350 seems exactly like what I need ight now. But will A17 be enough to drive 80 Ohms?
By the way how does it work? Since DT 1350's impedance is double what I'm using now, shall I expect half the output? I mean is there a linear inverse correlation between the headphone's impedance and it's output given the source is the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back