SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Aug 18, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #5,356 of 7,541
  Does anyone feel that the NWZ-A17 needs a burn-in period? I just got mine, and out of the box, it is not very impressive. Not the "airy" sound people have described.

Yes i did burn in and after 200H it soundes awesome, also came with all sony audio gimmicks turned on

Aug 18, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #5,358 of 7,541

Thanks for the info. I'll have a look at the Audio Technica ATH-IM02.

The IM02 is known to be quite sensitive to sources with high output impedance like the A17. Therefore it might not be the best choice in this case. Better try the IM03, they are a great pairing!
Or try the Final Audio Heaven IV or V. I am using the Heaven V and they are a great match with the A17 too,

And if you are on a tight budget try the ATH-IM50!

Quote:

Capacitors need to stabilize before producing the design intended sound.

Yeah, sure... Actually the so-called burn-in period is the time which your brain is needs to adjust to the new sound signature! And as next people will tell me that different speaker cables produce different sound.

Aug 18, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #5,359 of 7,541

Yes i did burn in and after 200H it soundes awesome, also came with all sony audio gimmicks turned on

I'll definitely give it more time.

I checked the settings and none of the "sony audio gimmicks" were turned on. But would using DSEE HX make an improvement?

a bit on older recordngs and certain CD-quality albums but not that much to leave it on

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #5,360 of 7,541
Interestingly, did not like the IM02 with any of my <1 impedance sources (clip, c5d, laptop, phone)... suspect there are other factors at play, that or I just like the particular distortion it produces
tongue_smile.gif
since i'm a bit of a brighthead anyway- (actually think I already talked about this with Clie or Arrgh or someone earlier in the thread) though it is def noticably variable between sources- anyway I thought the soundstage/presentation and details were markedly improved with my A17.

I think realistically, the walkman's 3-point-something or so ohms to the IM02 in't too far under the 1:10 ratio that is recommended as a safe margin for avoiding distortion, I have seen some people argue that ratio is perhaps a bit cautious, though if impedance on the cans is wildly variable it might not be.

Lately I've noticed some reviews including FR measurements using different output impedances (Cymbacavum/tomscy's review of the dunu2000j' has a great last page full of measurements)- would be cool to see that done with the IM02 which deserve their reputation as source-picky.

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #5,361 of 7,541

Yeah, sure... Actually the so-called burn-in period is the time which your brain is needs to adjust to the new sound signature! And as next people will tell me that different speaker cables produce different sound.

You haven't had much experience if you haven't heard the effect's of burn in first hand. Too bad. A15 doesn't really need much burn in, nowhere near the degree of dap's with larger capacitor's on their output. My dap's have all needed varying levels of burn in before their sound rounded out, and they all happen to have around 1000uF of capacitance on their output, which is ten times what the A15 has. The sound changes are obvious.

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #5,363 of 7,541
  The Sony A series always have some sort of background hissing noise

Maybe that is why people say it sounds 'airy'
tongue.gif

Just like a radio station OTA
biggrin.gif

(joking! I've never noticed it while playing music, but maybe that's just my hearing slowly decaying w/ age and abuse)

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #5,368 of 7,541
every time...
so many threads... so much carnage...
please, before this thread gets modded into oblivion too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI

Aug 19, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #5,369 of 7,541
Am I the one here that is making claim of something happening? If a person makes the claim, then (s)he shall provide the proof, that's how thing works in my universe and science in general. If you tell me swans come in 7 different colors of rainbow, then I'll want you to show me all 7 colored swans, while I shouldn't be the one to provide evidence that you are making empty claim.

I thought you said "laughable to a point of being sad"
So I thought you ought have proof of why it is "laughable to a point of being sad"

On the other hand, have you seen Sony's engineer giving a presentation that a piece of metal spacer (which is just used as spacer, not really conducting any signal nor part of the circuit) and how the sound of the metal affects their choice? That's laughable to a point of being sad.

Back on track, I got to listen an A17 and the ZX2. Pretty much the same until I played busy records like Incubus' Light Grenades track. ZX2 was more capable of separating drum hits from guitars. A17 got muddy in those busy sections.

Aug 19, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #5,370 of 7,541
I thought you said "laughable to a point of being sad"
So I thought you ought have proof of why it is "laughable to a point of being sad"

Laughable to a point of being sad because Sony engineers laid down a bunch of claim but don't bother to back them up with any fact. Just like I'll laugh and feel sad for you if you actually told me there were 7 colors of swans but couldn't show me any evidence, yet still insisted that I should buy into your story because you are working as a 'swan expert'... These people are engineer, and they have been trained in the scientific way so I assume they should have known better. Laughable because of the empty claims, sad because this shouldn't have been what engineer do.

Now if these people are just some marketing guys, then I can just laugh it off and won't really feel sorry for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back