SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Aug 18, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #5,341 of 7,541
  Yeah probably worth a wait, if only for the potential price drop on the older model- though the A17 seems to have settled in at 260-270 for sale prices, might end up the standard price, unless they are completely changing production over to the new models.

I picked mine from razordog audio  with their $50 off promo for $250. It is a great price, considering all features this little thing packs. 
Bluetooth APT-X is no joke. It is much much better than regular A2DP, when paired with HUGO. 16/44  with apt-x is genuinely good, even though range is short (<5 ft). 

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #5,342 of 7,541
Where is the measurement to prove that A10 needs bigger current, or should I take your (well, nor your, but Sony's) words for it? Or in another way of saying it - where is the proof that the thinner cable is limiting the current flow, which degrades its performance? If cable is such a terrible media for current flow, why not just mount the battery directly onto the PCB with big copper contact? Surely a a thick and even shorter copper plate beats cable for current flow?

It is too easy to claim something to work, even if the underlying principle might be sound, then to prove it actually working. On the other hand, have you seen Sony's engineer giving a presentation that a piece of metal spacer (which is just used as spacer, not really conducting any signal nor part of the circuit) and how the sound of the metal affects their choice? That's laughable to a point of being sad.

11_Sony_Slide.jpg

Don't get me wrong - I like my A15 and probably uses it the most among all the DAP I current have. But that doesn't mean I'll buy into everything Sony said.

You're right. I'm not Sony's rep. I'm just saying circuit theory.

Aug 18, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #5,343 of 7,541
Where is the measurement to prove that A10 needs bigger current, or should I take your (well, nor your, but Sony's) words for it? Or in another way of saying it - where is the proof that the thinner cable is limiting the current flow, which degrades its performance? If cable is such a terrible media for current flow, why not just mount the battery directly onto the PCB with big copper contact? Surely a a thick and even shorter copper plate beats cable for current flow?

It is too easy to claim something to work, even if the underlying principle might be sound, then to prove it actually working. On the other hand, have you seen Sony's engineer giving a presentation that a piece of metal spacer (which is just used as spacer, not really conducting any signal nor part of the circuit) and how the sound of the metal affects their choice? That's laughable to a point of being sad.

11_Sony_Slide.jpg

Don't get me wrong - I like my A15 and probably uses it the most among all the DAP I current have. But that doesn't mean I'll buy into everything Sony said.

By the way, do you have proof that choice of metal does not affect sound?

Aug 18, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #5,347 of 7,541
Actually that might happen, since A15 was first officially showcased on IFA 2014 last September. If I were in your shoe, I might just wait for 2 more weeks till IFA 2015. The next major event after that will probably be in either Japan near the end of year or CES 2016.

That is my thought for now. I have been using my Classic for six years now. I can wait a few more weeks.

Shane D

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #5,348 of 7,541
That is my thought for now. I have been using my Classic for six years now. I can wait a few more weeks.

Shane D

Wow... I am impressed the micro hard-drive has held up for so long. My old non-Nano iPods all lasted for about two years, even the one I tried keeping locked inside a Pelican case.

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #5,351 of 7,541
By the way, do you have proof that choice of metal does not affect sound?

Am I the one here that is making claim of something happening? If a person makes the claim, then (s)he shall provide the proof, that's how thing works in my universe and science in general. If you tell me swans come in 7 different colors of rainbow, then I'll want you to show me all 7 colored swans, while I shouldn't be the one to provide evidence that you are making empty claim.

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #5,352 of 7,541
  Burn-in is a myth! Does your TV picture become sharper after 100 hours use or is your laundry getting whiter after your new washing machine reached the 100 hours mark?

Maybe just the headphones you are using are not a good match with the A17?

The earphones I used, while admittedly not the best (Philips SHE3580), sounded great with a Fiio X3ii.

What earphones are the best match for the Sony NWZ-A17?

Aug 18, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #5,353 of 7,541
  Burn-in is a myth! Does your TV picture become sharper after 100 hours use

Actually burn in does happen with Plasma TV's, the mix of gas in the cells need to stabilize for over 100 hours before the colors are true to design. But burn in does not happen with LCD. Burn in isn't a myth for audio either. eg Capacitors need to stabilize before producing the design intended sound.

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #5,354 of 7,541
As to the actual question at hand
tongue_smile.gif

Does anyone feel that the NWZ-A17 needs a burn-in period? I just got mine, and out of the box, it is not very impressive. Not the "airy" sound people have described.

has anybody noticed benefits from burn-in with the A10 series? A few people have said so, can't say I have noticed any change.

The earphones I used, while admittedly not the best (Philips SHE3580), sounded great with a Fiio X3ii.

What earphones are the best match for the Sony NWZ-A17?

Might just be those Phillips like a little more power? Or just suddenly switching sources can be a bit of a shock (not to mention by most accounts the x3ii is a great DAP  that measures better and you might just prefer it). I don't have them any more, but my favorite pairing so far has been with the ATH-IM02- I prefered them with the walkman to my clip+, though I think they had a bit fuller low-end with the +, and they sounded markedly worse out of my JDS C5D for some reason- I'm guessing the C5D's dac because using it as an amp with the Walkman line out was OK.

Overall I think the Walkman's been perfectly adequate for most of the earphones I've tried, though with a few pairs I've noticed advantages with C5D and Clip+, though not always consistently between the two and I'm not volume matching so... \(〇_o)/

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #5,355 of 7,541
  As to the actual question at hand
tongue_smile.gif

has anybody noticed benefits from burn-in with the A10 series? A few people have said so, can't say I have noticed any change.

Might just be those Phillips like a little more power? Or just suddenly switching sources can be a bit of a shock (not to mention by most accounts the x3ii is a great DAP  that measures better and you might just prefer it). I don't have them any more, but my favorite pairing so far has been with the ATH-IM02- I prefered them with the walkman to my clip+, though I think they had a bit fuller low-end with the +, and they sounded markedly worse out of my JDS C5D for some reason- I'm guessing the C5D's dac because using it as an amp with the Walkman line out was OK.

Overall I think the Walkman's been perfectly adequate for most of the earphones I've tried, though with a few pairs I've noticed advantages with C5D and Clip+, though not always consistently between the two and I'm not volume matching so... \(〇_o)/

Thanks for the info. I'll have a look at the Audio Technica ATH-IM02.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back