SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Apr 21, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #4,276 of 7,541
Maybe I wasn't precise enough. I meant situation when we talk only about j3 and a15,and I have to choose between this two. If upgrade don't make sense I will stick with j3.

I absolutely loved my J3. It was a great player with excellant battery. I find the A17 to be the spiritual successor to the J3.

It does sounds much better than the J3 with the added benefit that it plays Hi-Res files that the J3 can't play. Believe me it is an upgrade. The only thing i miss is the touchscreen interface

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #4,278 of 7,541

With the OPPO HA-2, your talking about bypassing its ES9018K2M DAC, to use the A17's DAC.

I think people are discouraged at the prospect of under-driving any amp one might connect to the A17 Line Out.  

With an output of only 0.245 V, the A17 Line Out is eight times weaker than a DAC that puts out 2.0 V.

This effectively cuts the output of an external amp down to 1/8th the power it might deliver with a DAC that delivers 2.0V.  

The A17's amp puts out 10 mW into 16-Ohm, but using the 0.245 V Line Out, the OPPO HA-2 might output only 1/8th of its rated maximum of 300 mW into 16-Ohm.  

300 / 8 = 37.5 mW

Are you willing to pay $299 plus the cost of a Line Out cable to bump the headphone out from 10 mW to 37.5 mW?

Personally,and to each his own of course, I'd rather use the Sony WMC-NWH10 cable + a USB A Male to USB Micro B male cable for getting digital out of the Sony A17 to the OPPO HA-2 - to use both its DAC and its amp and enjoy potentially 8 times the power, for 300 mW into 16-Ohms.

It would be clumsy, but I'm more interested in SQ than convenience or cosmetics:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728401/sony-nwz-a10-series/4215#post_11519385

Another option is to drive an external amp with the A17's Headphone Out.  If you really like the way it sounds currently (sans amp), you might find that double-amping with a neutral and transparent portable amp like the Meier QuickStep would give you a lot more bang for the buck (instead of using a DAC/amp).

Mike

Yes i plan to get the WMC-H10 but first let me buy the amp
biggrin.gif
 test it and then het the "expensive cable" my worry is not underdriving it... my concert is the digital out eats battery , unless they fixed that by now.

also thinking on the JDS Labs C5 option as i saw is cheaper

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #4,279 of 7,541
I got  a Sony N17 walkman today I love the sound  but one issue I have with it is that it will not let me view the sd card directly. It breaks up all my folders and puts files into what it thinks are albums

Anyone know if there is anyway for it to read files directly from the sd card without organising them ?

When  I view the sd card all it shows is "audiobooks" and "podcasts" it wont show any of my music.

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #4,280 of 7,541

If you view at albums level, that's the problem. But look carefully, and you'll see you can view by Folders instead.

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #4,281 of 7,541
  I got  a Sony N17 walkman today I love the sound  but one issue I have with it is that it will not let me view the sd card directly. It breaks up all my folders and puts files into what it thinks are albums

Anyone know if there is anyway for it to read files directly from the sd card without organising them ?

you have folder option in the device .... it reads your files and folders as you put them 

From the home screen > music > Folder > system - sd card 

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #4,282 of 7,541

When  I view the sd card all it shows is "audiobooks" and "podcasts" it wont show any of my music.

you have to put your music folders under the folder called "MUSIC"(it should be there if you formatted the card with the sony. if it isn't, just create one and move your files) . then you should be able to see your music using the folder navigation suggested above.

Apr 21, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #4,283 of 7,541

Folder

<drive SD>\MUSIC\<all other folders>\<Tracks>

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #4,284 of 7,541
Listening to my A17 + 1R's the Bassoon on this disc of vivaldi's Bassoon concerti is hearable for the first time ever, i did not cranck the volume up insanely to hear it. Label is ASV records Daniel Smith Bassoon

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #4,285 of 7,541
I was listening to my new A15 last night. Until my 128gb Sandisk microsd card arrives I am using a 32gb card that has a few of my favourite albums, mostly flac but a couple in mp3 format.
I recently purchased an amp/dac that had many pages of praise, but I am really trying hard to hear any significant improvements in SQ - I almost regret making that purchase.
Aside from all the benefits the A15 has over my old A846 I really wanted to have a noticeable step up in SQ, the odd review/comment has almost downplayed the audio improvements over other models.
I was genuinely grinning last night as I played through all my favourite, most played songs. There were so many improvements in the sound: texture, detail, clarity, separation, a better balance (with no player enhancement setting on).
I actually enjoyed the heavier guitar tracks that have always had a kind of blurred, narrow, slightly harsh sound about them.
I am really thrilled with this little player
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 22, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #4,289 of 7,541
  I was listening to my new A15 last night. Until my 128gb Sandisk microsd card arrives I am using a 32gb card that has a few of my favourite albums, mostly flac but a couple in mp3 format.
I recently purchased an amp/dac that had many pages of praise, but I am really trying hard to hear any significant improvements in SQ - I almost regret making that purchase.
Aside from all the benefits the A15 has over my old A846 I really wanted to have a noticeable step up in SQ, the odd review/comment has almost downplayed the audio improvements over other models.
I was genuinely grinning last night as I played through all my favourite, most played songs. There were so many improvements in the sound: texture, detail, clarity, separation, a better balance (with no player enhancement setting on).
I actually enjoyed the heavier guitar tracks that have always had a kind of blurred, narrow, slightly harsh sound about them.
bigsmile_face.gif

what is your DAC/AMP ?

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #4,290 of 7,541
bigsmile_face.gif

S o you didn't notice any improvement in your amp/dac? if so which amp/dac is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back