SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Dec 10, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #1,696 of 7,541
Thank you for your answer.

In which direction it is unfair to compare a portable player to a laptop?
you are welcome ..i mean the laptop would have a more powerful headphone out and line out .. But not necessarily a better sound quality..i think a dedicated player would have a better sound indeed ( any one correct me if i am wrong!)

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #1,697 of 7,541

Sony players are very very good in terms of sound quality.. You will hardly find other player with those features and has a better sound ... And from my experience i found that sony players has the best synergy with sony headphones.. So your headphone is another reason to get a sony walkman ..
I don't know about the line out of the macbook air ..but i think it is unfair to compare a portable player to a laptop!
The s master hx supposed to produce a better sound and resolution from the previous generations of the s- master amp and more powerful too 10+10 mw instead of the sony traditional 5+5mw

Thank you for your answer.

In which direction it is unfair to compare a portable player to a laptop?

I'm stating the obvious again, but look at the size and the weight of the sony, clearly you're buying something because it's small first, and then comes the rest trying to be good. if you'll use your music in a situation where it's ok to use your macbook, then I would suggest to get a small amp or even a DAC/amp(check compatibility). but those are not portable conditions. transportable would be a better word.
for the same money you'll tend to get better result with some desktop products, because there was no R&D to make it small,  and no need to factor the power/battery size ratio. so if you don't need real portability, there is little interest in getting the sony.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #1,698 of 7,541

this is also the guy who thinks that streaming is the way of the future for everyone, not like you can expect much . All he need to do is read over either the
1. Manual
2. Castleofarghs review

Thanks for the kind words! Nice to meet you!

Didn't know it was a problem to ask simple questions here. Will try not to in future. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

it's not about asking simple questions, in fact I was wondering about the music not showing up on the SD maybe 60 or 70pages ago myself.
 but for other questions, I thought RTFM very loudly in my head when seeing some of your posts before. they are indeed mostly simple questions, you could find the answer with google, or in this same thread, and indeed in the manual from sony. so we know that you're asking us to look for you.

and on a very personal level, I spent some time writing a review and talking about most of those questions you've been asking. obviously I did it for the millions of $ sony would give me (and a free robot doggy), for the free pass from headfi to avoid a ban next time I behave like an ass, for all the girls that writing a review on headfi could bring me. and maybe a little bit so that people like you wouldn't have to read the also boring, but much longer manual.
so as of today, with no doggy, no money, no girlzzz, and no headfi admin calling me friend and telling me I'll never get banned, seeing you ask those questions is the last push of that blade called disappointment, into my fragile little heart.

so go read my review, and if you know of a girl with $ and a robot doggy, plz tell her how great I am.

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #1,701 of 7,541
How is the current UI for the FiiO X5 and the support for playlists now?

I can't really tell the difference between FLACs and 320 MP3 so getting the X5 might be too much.

Looks like the A17 does have a better UI and battery life plus I do have a student discount.

I guess the reason that I was considering the X5 was mainly for the memory size and it looks like an iPod.

Dec 11, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #1,702 of 7,541
I don't know if anybody else has experienced the same issue as I, but my A17 either completely freezes or becomes slowly unresponsive. I've reset the unit from the backside and I've even tried to put the 300 or so songs I've got onto a 128g card thinking that may help. But all to no avail. I finally just contacted Sony support about it and am sending them the unit and they will in return ship me out a new one (since it is within the 30 day purchase period.) Just curious to see if anyone else is having the same problem. Other than this MAJOR problem, I have really enjoyed the A17 very much. Any thoughts...

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #1,703 of 7,541
It's happening to me too occasionally.  

Quote:
  I don't know if anybody else has experienced the same issue as I, but my A17 either completely freezes or becomes slowly unresponsive. I've reset the unit from the backside and I've even tried to put the 300 or so songs I've got onto a 128g card thinking that may help. But all to no avail. I finally just contacted Sony support about it and am sending them the unit and they will in return ship me out a new one (since it is within the 30 day purchase period.) Just curious to see if anyone else is having the same problem. Other than this MAJOR problem, I have really enjoyed the A17 very much. Any thoughts...

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #1,704 of 7,541

This happened to me when it tried to build a library. Got stuck on progress bar.. Held Reset button for ten seconds, nothing. Plug into pc, held reset button ten seconds, that did it. I deleted one large 3 GB folder that may have have caused the problem. No idea what exact file caused the problem. It was worrying though. I was also prepared to bring it back to the store as I was still within the two week tryout. So far, I'm into my 12th hour of playtime (with a lot of screen time trying out various sound settings) and it just dropped the first bar on the battery Indicator. Amazing.

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #1,705 of 7,541
How is the current UI for the FiiO X5 and the support for playlists now?

I can't really tell the difference between FLACs and 320 MP3 so getting the X5 might be too much.

Looks like the A17 does have a better UI and battery life plus I do have a student discount.

I guess the reason that I was considering the X5 was mainly for the memory size and it looks like an iPod.

It's supposed to be better. I was just about to update but I don't really care about playlists.

MP3 (Or flac) still sounds better on the x5 than the a17. But only if you compare side by side ten seconds apart. If you spend time with either one you don't really notice deficiencies anymore. To me, the Sony still sounds great, and it has bass boost advantage over the Fiio, which has no way to increase the bass if your headphones need it. I use that boost all the time since my portable clips ons really benefit. I kind of regret buying the x5 now, because I will never take it out of the house for a walk, or to the gym, when the Sony is around. The a17 isn't a 'very noticeable' brick in my pocket, the UI is infinitely better, boot up time is about one second compared to at least ten for the Fiio, and the battery is amazing. (30 hours compared to 10). X5 is more like a player you would use at work or it just sits somewhere on a desk. It's not really portable. It makes my 2005 iPod look svelte.

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #1,706 of 7,541

Don't know when the problem happens, but  I remember when i got my Walkman X series back in 2009, it froze or was unresponsive, even rebooted it self at certain song files, turns out it was the cover 'folder.jpge photo. I realized on photoshop that Progressive JPEGs are a problem for sony walkmans, so I converted all my covers that were Progressive to BASELINE Jpeg and it fixed the freezing problem.

Or perhaps yours was a corrupted FLAC/MP3/AA/ALAC/ whatever file you had, i have had corrupt flacs (fortunately i backup
biggrin.gif
)

Dec 12, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #1,709 of 7,541
I have photoshop. How do you convert the photos to baseline? Much thanks.

if you don't know what is causing your problems, you should install media go and transfer files from it to the sony (or the µSD inside the sony). 
that way the software will most probably not transfer the problematic files. that way you'll have no problem, and you should be able to find out what files didn't transfer.

I guess that's the best way to identify your problem, as I doubt it is actually the DAP's fault. I've been using mine for almost 2 months now and didn't get as much as a lag while listening to music.

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #1,710 of 7,541
I have photoshop. How do you convert the photos to baseline? Much thanks.

In photoshop click in the file menu Save AS

Then select where you will save the pic and click save

2. if prompted the file already exists click OK

3. save with your quality settings and in the radio buttons that say "Baseline (Standard)", "Baseline (Optimized)" and "Progressive", Check the first One BASELINE (STANDARD)

Oh I forgot, i had some artwork in the fiio x3 dispalyed as a completely Black square, don't know if sony walkmans do this with photos that have a 32-bit color depth? instead of the 24-bit std. I don't know how to change bit-depth in photoshop, so i ended finding the artworks in the internet and completely replacing them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back