SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Nov 18, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #1,336 of 7,541
Just discovered this thread.

I have an A-17 on its way and have ordered a companion 128 GB micro card to use with it.  Previously tempted with the Z1, but deterred by its price, the A-17 looked a great option with huge capacity.

I'll not be using the hi-rez capabilities but have over 600 albums lined up to insert - exported from the library of over 12,000 albums in a Meridian Sooloos system.  I would hate to have to rip those 600 albums from scratch!

Should be here next week so I'll make further posts if of interest.

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #1,337 of 7,541
I am not exactly anti EQ or DSP either, I mean I use clearbass (to add in bass), BBE to do stuff, However I am still on the opinion from what I can test and surmise that no some random IEM no matter how mcuh EQ you pour in to it cant really beat an actual nicely produced iem , what you can get is an emulation and approximation , something that for me I would rather pass up and just get the better IEM of the two.

I still think everything should be judged without any adjustment first though then you can put in whatever you use to "repair" whatever problem you may see on the thing

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #1,339 of 7,541
I am not exactly anti EQ or DSP either, I mean I use clearbass (to add in bass), BBE to do stuff, However I am still on the opinion from what I can test and surmise that no some random IEM no matter how mcuh EQ you pour in to it cant really beat an actual nicely produced iem , what you can get is an emulation and approximation , something that for me I would rather pass up and just get the better IEM of the two.

I still think everything should be judged without any adjustment first though then you can put in whatever you use to "repair" whatever problem you may see on the thing

^_^ it all depends, trying to take one IEM to make it sound like another one is dumb in the sense that you would be better with the real thing. for that you're right. but having a copycat for 1/5 or 1/10th of the price is something different. and you could probably forgive a little less quality in the sound when you know what you paid ^_^.
 taking whatever IEMs and deciding to make it sound as we like can be a waste of time. you have to already know your target and pick what is close enough. anyway most EQs are free so if better great, if not, nothing lost.

im a  sony fanboy i am thinking of this player im hopeing it aint  a warm sounding player

it isn't warm but it also doesn't have very low impedance. so some IEMs will end up sounding warmer than they should(and others colder etc, it all depends on the impedance response of the IEM).

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #1,340 of 7,541
  ^_^ it all depends, trying to take one IEM to make it sound like another one is dumb in the sense that you would be better with the real thing. for that you're right. but having a copycat for 1/5 or 1/10th of the price is something different. and you could probably forgive a little less quality in the sound when you know what you paid ^_^.
 taking whatever IEMs and deciding to make it sound as we like can be a waste of time. you have to already know your target and pick what is close enough. anyway most EQs are free so if better great, if not, nothing lost.

it isn't warm but it also doesn't have very low impedance. so some IEMs will end up sounding warmer than they should(and others colder etc, it all depends on the impedance response of the IEM).

cool ty for the info i been a   sony fan i
since my first walkman

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #1,343 of 7,541
BTW guys, my Burson Conductor SL does accept the USB digital output from my A17.  
redface.gif

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #1,345 of 7,541
  My M8 does not
mad.gif

It surprises me how many battery-powered portable DACs require 5V power at the USB port in order to accept USB data.  What a shame - it rules out selling those portable DAC/amps to countless Sony Walkman owners - many of whom would like to use less efficient headphones by combining the ultra-friendly UI and storage capacity of the Walkman with perhaps a better DAC and a more powerful amp.

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #1,346 of 7,541

My M8 does not
mad.gif

It surprises me how many battery-powered portable DACs require 5V power at the USB port in order to accept USB data.  What a shame - it rules out selling those portable DAC/amps to countless Sony Walkman owners - many of whom would like to use less efficient headphones by combining the ultra-friendly UI and storage capacity of the Walkman with perhaps a better DAC and a more powerful amp.

some DAC/amp are usb powered, even for portable some portable ones.
then for those who have self powered DACs, I think most still use the 5V as a handshake(to know something is actually plugged).
given the actual USB reality, it's sadly sony again who went for something unusual.
they open up to a less proprietary world, but you can see that they do it while gritting their teeth.

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #1,347 of 7,541
Just curious, I'm torn between going for an Android DAP (possible Sony Z3) and this. Sound wise, is there any other Sony phone that has the exact same repertoire of sound DSPs as this A17?

EDIT: I also have another question. Can you 'rate' songs on this? That is like a star rating etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back