SONY NW-ZX700
Aug 3, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #1,936 of 2,742
Is it important to have had formatted the micro SD card in the ZX707 itself, rather than previously in a computer? 707 should be arriving today, and I already have my music files on the card. I would prefer not to have to format/wipe it and then transfer close to 512GB of music back on it. Or, is it best I really do format the card in the 707 and then connect DAP to Mac and drag drop music onto the card this way? Also, I'm forgetting, which format should the card be formatted to and should the music folders (artist - album) be in one larger folder? Entitled, say, "Music?"

I always format my cards to exfat and have never had any issues with multiple DAPs. For Sony you will need to place your music in a folder called "Music" for the Walkman Player to see the files.

Aug 4, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #1,942 of 2,742
I just updated this latest firmware 1.02.00 on my ZX707 and notice the following improvements:

- The reaction problem of the side buttons seems is fixed, no more irresponsive error (there was a delay action when pressing on the side buttons, such as when I pressed the play button, it takes more than 6-7 seconds to pause the song). I tested for 30 minutes and will continue within the coming weeks to confirm.

- I sort of hear the sub-bass is added back in this firmware. When I listen a series of songs and I find the sub-bass is back, the bass has more weight than that I heard when the ZX707 was with the previous firmware (ver. 1.01.02). I remember some users here revealed that the sub-bass was tamed in the previous firmware, and I heard the same. However, I need more time to test and need more users here to confirm after they apply the update.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #1,943 of 2,742
I just updated this latest firmware 1.02.00 on my ZX707 and notice the following improvements:

- The reaction problem of the side buttons is fixed, no more irresponsive error (there was a delay action when pressing on the side buttons, such as when I pressed the play button, it takes more than 6-7 seconds to pause the song). I tested for 30 minutes and will continue within the coming weeks to confirm.

- I sort of hear the sub-bass is added back in this firmware. When I listen a series of songs and I find the sub-bass is back, the bass has more weight than that I heard when the ZX707 was with the previous firmware (ver. 1.01.02). I remember some users here revealed that the sub-bass was tamed in the previous firmware, and I heard the same. However, I need more time to test and need more users here to confirm after they apply the updates.
I was one of them who complained and stopped using my Zx707 after the last update but I still have it.

Going to test now with some tracks before and after, see if anything changed.

Edit: Excited but damn low battery lol !

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #1,944 of 2,742
I can confirm that the original sound is back.
There is the Sony bass and overall it sounds more dynamic as well. In the previous firmware the sound was overall a bit muddled to me.
Looks like they restored the sound from the stock firmware.
Damn the bass is so heavy that it can be overwhelming with bass-heavy bone conduction IEMs.
Playing Party Rock Anthem on my EE Odyssey just blows my ears away lol !

I still have to listen to it more but this one could be a keeper !
My ears are quite used to the R6 Pro II which I bought recently and it's a fantastic DAP with it's dual flagship AK4499 DACs!
I'll need some time to let my ears adjust to the Sony signature again lol.

Aug 4, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #1,945 of 2,742
I can confirm that the original sound is back.
There is the Sony bass and overall it sounds more dynamic as well. In the previous firmware the sound was overall a bit muddled to me.
Looks like they restored the sound from the stock firmware.
Damn the bass is so heavy that it can be overwhelming with bass-heavy bone conduction IEMs.
Playing Party Rock Anthem on my EE Odyssey just blows my ears away lol !

I still have to listen to it more but this one could be a keeper !
My ears are quite used to the R6 Pro II which I bought recently and it's a fantastic DAP with it's dual flagship AK4499 DACs!
I'll need some time to let my ears adjust to the Sony signature again lol.
Glad to hear this and happy for you! Thanks for the verification.

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #1,946 of 2,742
Glad to hear this and happy for you! Thanks for the verification.
Don't get me wrong. Hiby R6 Pro II is very hard to beat even by DAPs twice it's price range. It produces superb clean and dynamic sound across the frequency range and also has a slight bass boost which I like.
However, now the Zx707 ain't so bad either with the new firmware.

I will be AB/ing both in the next days and decide which one to use as a daily driver.
Sony wins when it comes to battery life and the physical navigation buttons. R6 Pro II has the worst physical button layout and stock case.
It's also more compact.
I also like that Sony has the audio outs at the top. I hate DAPs that use bottom ports for audio. It's so inconvenient when chilling on the couch or bed.

Aug 4, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #1,948 of 2,742
I'm confused by this setting in the Bluetooth option: "HD: AAC". If I enable this, does it mean that I won't get the LDAC codec? I can't even tell if I'm listening through LDAC. The BT iems I'm using are the new WF-X1000M5.

Aug 4, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #1,949 of 2,742
I'm confused by this setting in the Bluetooth option: "HD: AAC". If I enable this, does it mean that I won't get the LDAC codec? I can't even tell if I'm listening through LDAC. The BT iems I'm using are the new WF-X1000M5.
What phone?

Oh I'm stupid, sorry :D

When you connect via LDAC it will show you an popup where you can choose the connection quality

AAC is not LDAC

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #1,950 of 2,742
What phone?

Oh I'm stupid, sorry :D

When you connect via LDAC it will show you an popup where you can choose the connection quality

AAC is not LDAC
Yes, I chose the "LDAC Preferred Connection" setting, but this is a separate setting that can be activated independently. Okay, I found the indication that the LDAC being activated on the main page of the Headphones app. My problem now is music is dropping out when using LDAC if I pick up the 707, or sometimes if I’m just holding it, and even if it’s just sitting on my desk. Maybe once every minute or two for half a second. While listening to HR files that are locally stored. In the BT setting of the operating system I have “LDAC Connection- Preferred” chosen and in the Sony Headphones App I have “Prioritize Sound Quality” chosen which is necessary to get LDAC. Again I’m using a brand new pair of Sony WF-X1000M5 iems. This is ridiculous BT performance for a new DAP with BT version 5.3. Can others confirm that this is normal with the 707? Or is something wrong with the BT of my particular unit?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back