SONY NW-ZX700
Jul 24, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #1,906 of 2,823
I'm not familiar with the HD820, but you're thinking they are very comparable to the HD800S in terms of drivability? Just ordered a Japanese version of the ZX-707 and need some open backed headphones to use with them and want to take advantage of the full potential of the 707. If anyone has had any good luck with other open-backed cans to use with this DAP, please let me know. Sorry, I scrolled through much of this thread, but not the entire thread. How's the start up time and UI speed on the 707? I'm a little worried it's going to take forever to start up, and also be laggy like my ole NW-ZX2.

I think it will be fine, there is difference yes, scroll down and look at the impedance charts for the HD800S vs impedance charts for the HD820; the peak resistance is around 70 to 100 hertz, having the HD800S a peak on 600 ohms and the HD820 around 500 ohms; but both of them average 300 ohms in specs. So about drivability I think you should be fine, you may just need to raise the volume a little higher but not a big deal. Specially with the Japanese version, which is uncapped.

The startup time is like a normal or average phone, give it a minute and it is ready for use. Just don't expect the performance of a flagship phone, here the resources are more focused on power-saving and playback.

UI Speed is average, but somewhere on the thread somebody put a link to another post where it is described which things to change (ie: 0 millisecond delays for animations, disabling system sounds, etc).

From my experience regarding playback (speed):
  • Online stuff: fine always (but drains battery faster)
  • Using the native player: Instant play, and has a nice screensaver.
  • Tidal in offline mode (offline songs on SD card): Extremely slow, I had around 200gb of songs and it took a long while to start playing (between 5 to 10 minutes) and sometimes caused the SD to appear blank (fixed it restarting the device).
  • Apple Music (same songs from Tidal): Instant play from offline songs
  • USB Audio Player Pro: Instant play from offline songs. Just I had to disable the feature that auto-scans the SD for updated/added/removed songs. I did it because somehow it caused similar behavior with the SD cards as with Tidal, sometimes the SD card would appear empty. (here my guess is that Tidal does massive DRM checks thru all the files, causing the SD controller to go nuts).
What else to do?
  • If possible on your environment, disable the feature that requires you to login after the screen goes off, you'll see it is extremely annoying.
  • There is another post about hiding the status bar, it requires you to type some adb command, but at the end is good as you'll gain some space on the screen.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #1,907 of 2,823
I think it will be fine, there is difference yes, scroll down and look at the impedance charts for the HD800S vs impedance charts for the HD820; the peak resistance is around 70 to 100 hertz, having the HD800S a peak on 600 ohms and the HD820 around 500 ohms; but both of them average 300 ohms in specs. So about drivability I think you should be fine, you may just need to raise the volume a little higher but not a big deal. Specially with the Japanese version, which is uncapped.

The startup time is like a normal or average phone, give it a minute and it is ready for use. Just don't expect the performance of a flagship phone, here the resources are more focused on power-saving and playback.

UI Speed is average, but somewhere on the thread somebody put a link to another post where it is described which things to change (ie: 0 millisecond delays for animations, disabling system sounds, etc).

From my experience regarding playback (speed):
  • Online stuff: fine always (but drains battery faster)
  • Using the native player: Instant play, and has a nice screensaver.
  • Tidal in offline mode (offline songs on SD card): Extremely slow, I had around 200gb of songs and it took a long while to start playing (between 5 to 10 minutes) and sometimes caused the SD to appear blank (fixed it restarting the device).
  • Apple Music (same songs from Tidal): Instant play from offline songs
  • USB Audio Player Pro: Instant play from offline songs. Just I had to disable the feature that auto-scans the SD for updated/added/removed songs. I did it because somehow it caused similar behavior with the SD cards as with Tidal, sometimes the SD card would appear empty. (here my guess is that Tidal does massive DRM checks thru all the files, causing the SD controller to go nuts).
What else to do?
  • If possible on your environment, disable the feature that requires you to login after the screen goes off, you'll see it is extremely annoying.
  • There is another post about hiding the status bar, it requires you to type some adb command, but at the end is good as you'll gain some space on the screen.
Terrific. Thanks so much. All of that was super useful. Just need to save up for the HD800S now! although I’m also looking at the Shure SRH1840 which I’ve had before and LOVED! But listened to them through the WM-1AM, so maybe not a fair comparison? I’m reading that the impedance of the Shure’s is 65 ohms. Also a possibility for the 707? Or, not powerful enough?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #1,908 of 2,823
Man, it’s really too bad the dac mode has so much latency on this thing. Dongles aren’t too big or heavy but it’s another thing to EDC.

Dignis case is holding up well. Loving this with the MEST MK2 and Lirics.

Jul 26, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #1,909 of 2,823
Man, it’s really too bad the dac mode has so much latency on this thing. Dongles aren’t too big or heavy but it’s another thing to EDC.

Dignis case is holding up well. Loving this with the MEST MK2 and Lirics.
You can adjust it on most media players (it's around -350ms) but yes, but everywhere.

Jul 26, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #1,910 of 2,823
A retailer strongly recommended the (open-backed) Meze 109 Pro to pair with the 707. I think I might try them with an upgraded Silver Dragon 4.4 cable. Again, the unit I’m expecting to arrive in a few weeks from Japan will be uncapped. Will report back on how these sounded together. Beginning to steer away from the idea of 300 ohms cans. I don’t think even the uncapped 707 will be able to sufficiently power them enough to make their investment worthwhile.

Jul 26, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #1,911 of 2,823
A retailer strongly recommended the (open-backed) Meze 109 Pro to pair with the 707. I think I might try them with an upgraded Silver Dragon 4.4 cable. Again, the unit I’m expecting to arrive in a few weeks from Japan will be uncapped. Will report back on how these sounded together. Beginning to steer away from the idea of 300 ohms cans. I don’t think even the uncapped 707 will be able to sufficiently power them enough to make their investment worthwhile.

I tried them with the 707, they do sound really good. Back then I was aiming for the HD660S2 (went to a boutique to try some options) and liked the Meze more than the 660S2. Long story short, open back weren't what I was looking for and ended up with the HD820, which really are driveable by the 707, seriously no issue.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #1,912 of 2,823
I tried them with the 707, they do sound really good. Back then I was aiming for the HD660S2 (went to a boutique to try some options) and liked the Meze more than the 660S2. Long story short, open back weren't what I was looking for and ended up with the HD820, which really are driveable by the 707, seriously no issue.
Thanks, you answered a few questions I had right there. However, if the 707 drives the HD820 without issue, maybe I should also seriously reconsider the HD800S, as someone here explained the two have the sam 300 ohms impedance. Hmm..

Jul 27, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #1,914 of 2,823
My experience is that if I wish the HD800/S to perform with its full potential I may not choose a DAP, 707 included. It's just that loud/loud enough and rendering with fuller dynamics with more dense sound (not about loudness per se) are 2 diff things and headroom does play a crucial part. About the Z1R, this is an IEM that scales with sources and upstream chains, a better DAP like WM1ZM2 will and scale it to next levels. I tried connect Z1R to a desktop HP amp and the Z1R just behaves like a new, diff IEM, one that really surprises me.

Jul 27, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #1,915 of 2,823
One thing that I notice about Sony DAP owners, 707 included, is that the built-in DSP are not a popular feature and many just prefers the direct sound. Well there may be various reasons for this but it would be a "waste" and not fully getting what they've paid for. Obviously there are the so called "purist" who would never "temper" the source and believe doing so would impair the "authenticity" of the music. I'm not here to debate about this as it's ppls' own choice and they are welcome to do so. Its just that if you're curious about why Sony engineers put this DSP features in in the 1st place you may read the following articles and at least understand where this whole thing is coming from and see if you like to give it a try (btw, trying it won't hurt/degrade/.. you in any way!)

Following is an article on interviewing the concerned Sony engineers and after reading it you may be tempted to give it a try. For me, I find that using DC Phase Linearzer type A high with Vinyl Processor set to surface noise does give me a very noticeable, diff sound, one that's better - more solid/dense sound, better microdynamice/details, better imaging, and above all, a very close enough "analog sound" esp. for those who grew up with LPs, cassettes, I now am listening with 707 can't without this not turned on ..

https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/vinyl/?s_pid=jp_top_201810_feature_vinyl_feajrny_waljrny
(use Google translate as it's in Japanese)

Jul 27, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #1,916 of 2,823
Is there anyone who can say how the 707 pairs with the IER-Z1R? A good source for these iems? Ah, sorry, just read just a few pages back that they are.
I use a z1R with 707(player used more than 100 hours). they are pretty descent pairing.

i have settled with IE900 & Z1R with only 707. will upgrade to WM1AM2 in future.

Jul 27, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #1,917 of 2,823
My experience is that if I wish the HD800/S to perform with its full potential I may not choose a DAP, 707 included. It's just that loud/loud enough and rendering with fuller dynamics with more dense sound (not about loudness per se) are 2 diff things and headroom does play a crucial part.
Can you explain why headroom plays a part? Beside the fact the ZX707 has more than enough headroom but forget that for a second.

I've read this several times and until now, nobody could explain that at all. One posted once an link from audeze but it turned out, that he misunderstood the explanation from audeze.

So why is headroom important, what does headroom change?
About the Z1R, this is an IEM that scales with sources and upstream chains, a better DAP like WM1ZM2 will and scale it to next levels. I tried connect Z1R to a desktop HP amp and the Z1R just behaves like a new, diff IEM, one that really surprises me.
Different Amps sound different, that is absolutely unrelated to their power. There are more than enough amps that have less dynamics even though having 3000mW or even 12'000mW.

Jul 27, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #1,918 of 2,823
i have auditioned this combo and I was suprised. 707, balanced meze silver cable, meze 109 pro

Jul 27, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #1,920 of 2,823
Can you say more about how you were surprised? Like, “pleasantly surprised”?
Pleasantly surprised. I was wowed about the drivability of hp by zx 707. the Drivers are very less demanding power and to my ears they sounded great with good soundstage and top of that they paired very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back