SONY NW-ZX700
Jul 28, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #1,922 of 2,742
One thing that I notice about Sony DAP owners, 707 included, is that the built-in DSP are not a popular feature and many just prefers the direct sound. Well there may be various reasons for this but it would be a "waste" and not fully getting what they've paid for. Obviously there are the so called "purist" who would never "temper" the source and believe doing so would impair the "authenticity" of the music. I'm not here to debate about this as it's ppls' own choice and they are welcome to do so. Its just that if you're curious about why Sony engineers put this DSP features in in the 1st place you may read the following articles and at least understand where this whole thing is coming from and see if you like to give it a try (btw, trying it won't hurt/degrade/.. you in any way!)

Following is an article on interviewing the concerned Sony engineers and after reading it you may be tempted to give it a try. For me, I find that using DC Phase Linearzer type A high with Vinyl Processor set to surface noise does give me a very noticeable, diff sound, one that's better - more solid/dense sound, better microdynamice/details, better imaging, and above all, a very close enough "analog sound" esp. for those who grew up with LPs, cassettes, I now am listening with 707 can't without this not turned on ..

https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/vinyl/?s_pid=jp_top_201810_feature_vinyl_feajrny_waljrny
(use Google translate as it's in Japanese)
One thing that I notice about Sony DAP owners, 707 included, is that the built-in DSP are not a popular feature and many just prefers the direct sound. Well there may be various reasons for this but it would be a "waste" and not fully getting what they've paid for. Obviously there are the so called "purist" who would never "temper" the source and believe doing so would impair the "authenticity" of the music. I'm not here to debate about this as it's ppls' own choice and they are welcome to do so. Its just that if you're curious about why Sony engineers put this DSP features in in the 1st place you may read the following articles and at least understand where this whole thing is coming from and see if you like to give it a try (btw, trying it won't hurt/degrade/.. you in any way!)

Following is an article on interviewing the concerned Sony engineers and after reading it you may be tempted to give it a try. For me, I find that using DC Phase Linearzer type A high with Vinyl Processor set to surface noise does give me a very noticeable, diff sound, one that's better - more solid/dense sound, better microdynamice/details, better imaging, and above all, a very close enough "analog sound" esp. for those who grew up with LPs, cassettes, I now am listening with 707 can't without this not turned on ..

https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/vinyl/?s_pid=jp_top_201810_feature_vinyl_feajrny_waljrny
(use Google translate as it's in Japanese)
Gave it a try and love it … great recommendation!

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #1,923 of 2,742
Is there anyone who can say how the 707 pairs with the IER-Z1R? A good source for these iems? Ah, sorry, just read just a few pages back that they are.
They pair very well, just recently got the Z1R and I love them, I’m completely spoiled and can’t even go back to listening to my M7 anymore. I got lucky and I have no issues with the fitting, but I have heard of many people having issues I would recommend if you can demo them somewhere to do so before purchasing them.

Jul 29, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #1,925 of 2,742
Anyone use the 707 with a genuine leather Musashino case? Just ordered a red one from Japan. Not sure if the case could interfere with strength of the BT transmission.
I don’t believe it the leather case should interfere with the Bluetooth transmission, I have leather cases on all my devices and have never had any issues using Bluetooth.

Jul 29, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #1,927 of 2,742
They pair very well, just recently got the Z1R and I love them, I’m completely spoiled and can’t even go back to listening to my M7 anymore. I got lucky and I have no issues with the fitting, but I have heard of many people having issues I would recommend if you can demo them somewhere to do so before purchasing them.
Yes, I’ve purchased them twice before. Never heard such a sound. Arguably the best iems I’ve listened to.

Jul 30, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #1,928 of 2,742
A retailer strongly recommended the (open-backed) Meze 109 Pro to pair with the 707. I think I might try them with an upgraded Silver Dragon 4.4 cable. Again, the unit I’m expecting to arrive in a few weeks from Japan will be uncapped. Will report back on how these sounded together. Beginning to steer away from the idea of 300 ohms cans. I don’t think even the uncapped 707 will be able to sufficiently power them enough to make their investment worthwhile.
I use mine with Lirics and love the combo.

Aug 1, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #1,929 of 2,742
Just bit the bullet and purchased a Japan zx707 through ebay. I've just recently found myself in this new world of experiencing music. So far have started with Qudelix 5k with the QX-Over, Tangzu Wan'er and the truthear Red Zeros. What would be a good entry point to use with this zx707?

Aug 2, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #1,930 of 2,742
Just bit the bullet and purchased a Japan zx707 through ebay. I've just recently found myself in this new world of experiencing music. So far have started with Qudelix 5k with the QX-Over, Tangzu Wan'er and the truthear Red Zeros. What would be a good entry point to use with this zx707?
The most important information is missing :p what is your Budget?

Aug 2, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #1,931 of 2,742
I own both Qudelix 5k and ZX707. I own some earphones and the first ones that showed a significant difference between the sources when listening to music have been the Sony IER series. So that might be a good place to start.

Of course if you play with the DSP effects instead of using direct source the difference will be greater but even then you need a good driver with a bass that reaches really low to notice things such as arm resonance.

Aug 2, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #1,933 of 2,742
Preferably between 500-700 if I could help it.
Hmmm i understand.

If it would be somehow possible by any means to go to 999$ (MSRP is 1499$, they are on sale), you could get the IER-M9 which is one of the best things that exist at all. An earphone that will most likely last you for decades and scales up with everything you plug it into.

But if that really is out of question, for half the price (499$, MSRP is 799 afair) you can get the IER-M7, its not as good but still an excellent start.

There is also the XBA-Z5 which is an very fun earphone and well worth its price, but given the current prices for the M7 and M9, it makes no sense to buy them.

Thats your Sony choices, other excellent choices in your price range are in that order (imho of course)
*** Shure ***
Shure se535 (Just an excellent allrounder for an very good price)

*** Westone ***
Westone Pro X50 (If you want more Bass)
Westone Mach 30 or 50 (If you want more reference thats generally that what audiophiles often want)

The Pro X50 is more fun, especially when turning the volume up and cheaper than the Mach 50.

But the Mach 50 sounds more "correct" and has more details, fidelity and so on. So its a matter of taste. You want fat bass mostly, the X50, you want an balanced reference sound, the Mach 50

*** FitEar ***
FitEar TG223 or FitEar TG333 (you have to import them, so not sure what price you'll end up with). The TG333 is better in eveything, but more expensive

*** Vision Ears ***
Vision Ears VE2

*** ChiFi ***
Moondrop S8
FiiO FA9

*** Sennheiser ***
Sennheiser IE 500 Pro

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #1,934 of 2,742
Aug 3, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #1,935 of 2,742
Is it important to have had formatted the micro SD card in the ZX707 itself, rather than previously in a computer? 707 should be arriving today, and I already have my music files on the card. I would prefer not to have to format/wipe it and then transfer close to 512GB of music back on it. Or, is it best I really do format the card in the 707 and then connect DAP to Mac and drag drop music onto the card this way? Also, I'm forgetting, which format should the card be formatted to and should the music folders (artist - album) be in one larger folder? Entitled, say, "Music?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back