SONY NW-ZX700
Jan 29, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #346 of 2,824
I paid 1.1k usd @ an ebay jp reseller (again) for the original dap&case bundle. And dont care. Secured. And it comes. And again complaint rows to READ on Gain. Every year the same. Read what u want.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #347 of 2,824
I paid 1.1k usd @ an ebay jp reseller (again) for the original dap&case bundle. And dont care. Secured. And it comes. And again complaint rows to READ on Gain. Every year the same. Read what u want.
Let us know how your experience is. Eyeballing one on eBay from Japan as well :)

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #350 of 2,824
Walkman has soldered on battery packs, the user can not change it, unless they are experienced in these matter as soldering close proximity battery terminals can easily bring a short and blow it up (very dangerous stuff)
I couldn’t find any tear down pictures of recent walkmans to see how close these terminals are.
I also have zero experience in soldering but I just replaced a soldered battery in an old pair of Sony headphones (HW700DS) last weekend, wasn’t so bad.

The biggest challenge would be finding a genuine or even a compatible battery pack. The battery I replaced in the headphones worked for a day but it wouldn’t charge. I would assume that there is a battery authentication which only allows genuine ones and I’m quite sure these Walkmans also have such security measures.

Jan 30, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #351 of 2,824
I couldn’t find any tear down pictures of recent walkmans to see how close these terminals are.
I also have zero experience in soldering but I just replaced a soldered battery in an old pair of Sony headphones (HW700DS) last weekend, wasn’t so bad.

The biggest challenge would be finding a genuine or even a compatible battery pack. The battery I replaced in the headphones worked for a day but it wouldn’t charge. I would assume that there is a battery authentication which only allows genuine ones and I’m quite sure these Walkmans also have such security measures.
Not sure about the headphones, but I know in Walkman M1, any packs will work. The M2 has it further a part than M1, and hence easier to swap out. The same as the 707 (judging from pics floating around)

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #352 of 2,824
Not sure about the headphones, but I know in Walkman M1, any packs will work. The M2 has it further a part than M1, and hence easier to swap out. The same as the 707 (judging from pics floating around)
Do you remember if it was 2 or 3 wires ? The one I mentioned has 3 wires, 1 for the thermistor but I’m guessing this one also does some kind of authentication.

Anyways good to know that any battery will work for the Walkman. Although by the time the battery dies I guess we would have replaced the DAP :D

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #353 of 2,824
Do you remember if it was 2 or 3 wires ? The one I mentioned has 3 wires, 1 for the thermistor but I’m guessing this one also does some kind of authentication.

Anyways good to know that any battery will work for the Walkman. Although by the time the battery dies I guess we would have replaced the DAP :D
Always 3 wires, or 5, but they all have to have 3 polarities (1 for positive, 1 for negative, 1 white one for sense and charging). If the one you replaced is not charging, then check the white wire at both ends

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #354 of 2,824
Always 3 wires, or 5, but they all have to have 3 polarities (1 for positive, 1 for negative, 1 white one for sense and charging). If the one you replaced is not charging, then check the white wire at both ends
The wire is not the problem because when I soldered back the original battery, it works fine although it now holds very less charge being 8 years old. There were few other batteries where people said the same that it won’t charge.
Anyways thanks. At least the headphones works “wired” so I’m using it like that for now.

Jan 30, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #355 of 2,824
The wire is not the problem because when I soldered back the original battery, it works fine although it now holds very less charge being 8 years old. There were few other batteries where people said the same that it won’t charge.
Anyways thanks. At least the headphones works “wired” so I’m using it like that for now.
Then the identification chips must be on the original package. If I was you, I would just remove the new battery BMS board, and transfer the OG battery BMS into it :wink: pretty easy

Jan 30, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #358 of 2,824
My friend Beng Yeow running Porta-Fi helped to enquire with Sony SG, and was informed of standard IEC 62368-1 / which i believe is IEC 62368-1:2018 after googling

I’ve sent an email to criticise Enterprise SG on this implementation
So confirmed Singapore zx707 has no high gain ? im planning to go to sony wisma to check the display unit if they already have it

Jan 31, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #359 of 2,824
So confirmed Singapore zx707 has no high gain ? im planning to go to sony wisma to check the display unit if they already have it
I don’t think there is high gain
The specifications at Sony SG ZX707 indicates 0.4 to 1.1 mW. There’s no indication of high gain unlike WM1AM2 for example

Jan 31, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #360 of 2,824
I don’t think there is high gain
The specifications at Sony SG ZX707 indicates 0.4 to 1.1 mW. There’s no indication of high gain unlike WM1AM2 for example
Noted, Wm1Am2 it is then 🤦🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back