SONY NW-ZX700
Jan 31, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #361 of 2,659
Can someone verify whether the Japan ZX707 is able to change its system language to English? As there were previous Sony Walkmans with restrictions on system languages, however I don't expect it to be an issue since it runs Android? Anyways I will be in Japan next month to test it out.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #363 of 2,659
Tested the volume capped ZX707 single output 3.5mm using earphones and was able to max out the volume (step 120) without blowing my ears off, usually I listen rather quiet but max volume on ZX707 wasn't even loud to me. I didn't try the balanced output as I got distracted discussing the lack of high gain with the store assistant. The guy beside me was testing it on headphones and he couldn't get it to an optimal volume. Surely Sony will have to fix this via a firmware update? Nevertheless I'm likely buying it in person at Japan.

Jan 31, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #365 of 2,659
AFAIK they didn't fix it on EU for zx500 so I kind of doubt they'll do it... :face_palm:
We have had this volume crippling in UK/EU all the way back to the ZX1. There was a temporary work around for that but hasn't been beatable since the ZX2, only with Sony OS DAP's, not Android ones.

The WM1AM2 UK/EU is also crippled which is why I got a Japanese one and just order a Japanese A307 too.

US isn't a nanny state as they can even machine gun each other to bits so no idea why bringing in the crippling for US.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #366 of 2,659
The non-Android ones could have the region changed, did that on my A55.

Anyway, I'm hyped and following the fedex plane on flightradar24 🤣 reg N892FD, KIX-HKG-LGG-CDG B777 (same plane went to all 4 hubs), then tomorrow morning should be another one to my city from CDG.
They say delivery scheduled for Fri, but I'll have to wait for the tax invoice 😥

Jan 31, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #367 of 2,659
For everyone complaining about power and volume cap, what are you wearing ?
Honestly I never had to go beyond 50% volume on any DAP I’ve had so far, including Sony because these are portable DAPs and I use them with IEMs (none of mine require that much power). For some of the bigger cans that need more power I have my desktop DAP, DAC etc.

On another note, also ordered one from eBay today ! Not because I want a high gain enabled DAP, but because there is no news of this one in the EU and I want a Sony DAP. Its been many years since I had one.

Jan 31, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #368 of 2,659
For everyone complaining about power and volume cap, what are you wearing ?
Honestly I never had to go beyond 50% volume on any DAP I’ve had so far, including Sony because these are portable DAPs and I use them with IEMs (none of mine require that much power). For some of the bigger cans that need more power I have my desktop DAP, DAC etc.

On another note, also ordered one from eBay today ! Not because I want a high gain enabled DAP, but because there is no news of this one in the EU and I want a Sony DAP. Its been many years since I had one.

You a bat :smile:

If a set of Shure SE846 need 90/120 it doesn't bode well. Even on my Japanese Sony DAP I'd need 90/120 (normal gain) for my Sony IER-M9's so near max with an EU version.

People do use headphones over IEM's and capped version won't drive many. Nearly all other portable DAP's have power to drive all IEM's and Many headphones, as can a ZX507/ZX707/WM1AM2 if not crippled and high-gain still enabled.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #369 of 2,659
You a bat :smile:

If a set of Shure SE846 need 90/120 it doesn't bode well. Even on my Japanese Sony DAP I'd need 90/120 (normal gain) for my Sony IER-M9's so near max with an EU version.

People do use headphones over IEM's and capped version won't drive many. Nearly all other portable DAP's have power to drive all IEM's and Many headphones, as can a ZX507/ZX707/WM1AM2 if not crippled and high-gain still enabled.
May be I just have a better hearing because I never listened to anything too loud to damage my ears :p

Hmm I do have the SE846 (gen 1) in my collection. I’ll check it when I get the ZX707. Anyways it’s not my daily driver.

Jan 31, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #370 of 2,659
May be I just have a better hearing because I never listened to anything too loud to damage my ears :p

Hmm I do have the SE846 (gen 1) in my collection. I’ll check it when I get the ZX707. Anyways it’s not my daily driver.

I also have perfect hearing for my age (55) and tested too! Blind as a bat but excellent hearing :relaxed:

I always use my SE846 to test for background hiss. Use my IER-M9's most at the moment.

As an interesting comparison, with a Hiby R5G2 I would only need 22/100 with my SE846's but on an EU/UK capped WM1AM2/ZX507 85-90/120 !!! (low gain on Hiby R5G2 and it has 3 levels)

My old S10 smartphone could drive more power than capped Sony DAP!

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #371 of 2,659

Anyway, I'm hyped and following the fedex plane on flightradar24 🤣 reg N892FD, KIX-HKG-LGG-CDG B777 (same plane went to all 4 hubs), then tomorrow morning should be another one to my city from CDG.
They say delivery scheduled for Fri, but I'll have to wait for the tax invoice 😥
LOL. You are a more of a Tracker than me as I see :) Mine was en-route today from HK and now it shows its at Fedex facility in GRACE-HOLLOGNE BE.
Time of delivery scheduled on Friday, yesterday Fedex requested all the papers..

Jan 31, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #372 of 2,659
Interested to see what your battery life is when playing offline tracks in a streaming service app. Sticking with my WM1AM2 for now as to import an uncapped ZX707 from Japan will cost me more than I paid for my Japanese import 1AM2! And that has near double the battery life.

Jan 31, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #373 of 2,659

How do you even know what plane your shipment is on? I've always been curious if its possible to track my package like that heh

Jan 31, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #374 of 2,659
How do you even know what plane your shipment is on? I've always been curious if its possible to track my package like that heh
It's easy to see on FR24 cos there are fixed hub-hub routes; the take off/ landing hours matches the status updates on FedEx tracking. And for long distance they use 777s with multiple stops. You can also see the next route of that plane so you can predict where it will go :) regional flights (e.g. Paris - Warsaw) will be added on FR on short notice and they also tend to disappear from FR history. Also, for EU, FedEx is using ASL for regional.

For mine there are 2 possibilities now, either going to Paris at 4pm or going to Liege to my city in morning (FR not updated yet for regional)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back